DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air ok?

Stargazer52

Reactions
i am so ready to get a new drone. I was looking at the Mavic Air 2 weeks ago and want to buy SO bad! But looking in the forums I am seeing that it has a heat issue. Some have said it can get so hot it cannot be touched. Is this true? If so it has to be bad for the boards and electronics. Is the Mavic Pro the same, or better in this regard?
Thanks much for any advice I can get!

i am so ready to get a new drone. I was looking at the Mavic Air 2 weeks ago and want to buy SO bad! But looking in the forums I am seeing that it has a heat issue. Some have said it can get so hot it cannot be touched. Is this true? If so it has to be bad for the boards and electronics. Is the Mavic Pro the same, or better in this regard?

The DJI forums have quite a few posts on the Air cpu overheat issue. Seems to be the fan isn't turning on...

Anywho, I avoid buying a new model of ANYTHING (cars, phones, drones, etc) until the early adopters shake out all the problems. This may mean waiting up to a year to get the "latest and greatest", but I'm OK with that.

Never had a heat issue with the Mavic Pro.

I don’t have and never had an over heating issue.

Get the pro or the air both are great but the pro has better signal strength and air has a alighting better camera.

The smart tech stuff like advanced aps is in the air and not mavic pro. The gimbal seems better on the pro than the air

There is tons of posts about the “which is better”

I mainly wanted to say that the over heat issue is largely blown out of proportion as some units had a failed fan but way more were just fine. Don’t let this be the issue that stops Yu from considering the air.

I have both an Air and a Pro. Just sent the Air in for Compass calibration issue and they replaced it.
I prefer the Pro camera with its 35mm equivalent lens with touch screen focus, better connectivity and longer battery life and my ability to see it at least 50% further away.
The Air is a wider fixed f2.8 lens and is much smaller and lighter. But I’d only choose the Air if I were frequently hiking or traveling light. (Corrected, the MP is fixed aperture as well)

Last edited:
I have both an Air and a Pro. Just sent the Air in for Compass calibration issue and they replaced it.
I prefer the Pro camera with its 35mm equivalent lens with aperture adjustment and touch screen focus, better connectivity and longer battery life and my ability to see it at least 50% further away.
The Air is a wider fixed f2.8 lens and is much smaller and lighter. But I’d only choose the Air if I were frequently hiking or traveling light.

Hey thanks for the replys guys! I think the pro may be best for sure. Happy flying to everyone!

I prefer the Pro camera with its 35mm equivalent lens with aperture adjustment and touch screen focus, better connectivity and longer battery life and my ability to see it at least 50% further away.
The Air is a wider fixed f2.8 lens and is much smaller and lighter. But I’d only choose the Air if I were frequently hiking or traveling light.

You cannot adjust the apature on the Pro.

I have a mavic Air and yes it does get hot but not like you described, all drones gets hot that's why they have fans in them. In the past the hot drones issue was the fan not working corretly, I fly my Air everyday and my only issue is the battery life which is 18 minutes accross the water in line of sight. Hope this helps.

You cannot adjust the apature on the Pro.

You are right! I stand corrected. Sorry about the misinformation, I confused the camera with that of the P4P for a moment.

The rest of my argument stands though. I still prefer my MP to my Air.

You are right! I stand corrected. Sorry about the misinformation, I confused the camera with that of the P4P for a moment.

The rest of my argument stands though. I still prefer my MP to my Air.

I bet the MP II has adjustable aperture.

Reactions: JDawg

Hi Stargazer52, I bought my Air about 2 months ago and haven't had any heat issues.

Reactions: Apexkingjusto
I've had my mavic air since February 1 and never once had an issue with heat. Even with it stationary, like while doing a firmware update, it's never gotten excessively hot or so hot it couldn't be touched.
It's a fun little drone and I enjoy flying it.

The hottest my Mavic Air has got was 120F out of the vent & that was just sitting here with no air flow over it, only the internal fan till battery went out

I’ve been using my mavic air for 2 months now an haven’t noticed anything unusual in terms of heat.. the fans do come on after a few minutes once switched on but that’s the same with most tech.. I’d go ahead and buy I’ve been so happy with mine.. it’s a good little runner..

Never have had an issue with heat with my MA and I can't recall anyone complaining about it. They do get warm though.

I have the pro and my pal has the air. Neither of us have had overheating probs. The internet is full of people who have problems, real or imagined. Some just use the internet/tube to knock dji, cleverly disguising themselves as disgruntled customers. A lot are genuine, with genuine concerns, but some are not so genuine. My advice is to buy and go fly. If there’s a problem, dji warranty will take care of things. I’ve never had any issue with dji, they do seem to work on a slightly different planet to the rest of us sometimes, but by and large they are very good

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803