DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air only will go 1500 feet and then says lost signal

mavmaine

Reactions
Hello folks,

Haven't see this question, wanted to ask, I have updated all firmware, switched over to higher wifi (5.2). Even had two posts on remote straight up vs straight out, I can't seem to get
my mavic air to go any further then about 1500 feet. Any ideas on anything else I can try. I don't have the best cell service where I am, not sure if that has anything to do with it. I know I should be able to go at least triple that distance. Any help would be great

thanks mavmaine

1500 feet up (vertical) ? or 1500 feet out (lateral) from your take off point

Doesn’t 2.4GHz offer a better distance than 5GHz I’m under the impression that 5GHz offers a faster data rate but over a much shorter distance.

Have you tried it on 2.4? Without any obstacles in the way? You might get a better range.

Reactions: Air_Joe
Isn't there an adjustment in the app that you can change the distance amount?

Reactions: Thomas B
Also, are you careful about keeping good orientation of the controller antenna with the Mavic at distance? That makes a huge difference in my testing.

Ya tried it 2.4 also, still can't give further, tried antenna both out and up, not helping, I was set at 5000 meters (15,000 feet), so not helping.not sure why not working

Might be better to ask this question in the Mavic Air specific area of this forum

Ya tried it 2.4 also, still can't give further, tried antenna both out and up, not helping, I was set at 5000 meters (15,000 feet), so not helping.not sure why not working

Oh well, it was just a thought... I know you do get a better distance with 2.4 over 5GHz.

Are there any ‘obstacles ‘ in between u and ur bird? ( building, trees etc?)

1500 feet is only 450 metres. Which is highly unlikely, be it in 2.4 or 5.8.
Are u in ce or fcc mode?

If you have trees between the RC and the drone and are CE then that sounds about normal. FCC would be a bit better but generally speaking WiFi is poor when there are obstacles, Occusync will be around 2x.

Hello folks,

Haven't see this question, wanted to ask, I have updated all firmware, switched over to higher wifi (5.2). Even had two posts on remote straight up vs straight out, I can't seem to get
my mavic air to go any further then about 1500 feet. Any ideas on anything else I can try. I don't have the best cell service where I am, not sure if that has anything to do with it. I know I should be able to go at least triple that distance. Any help would be great

thanks mavmaine

You are really better off just keeping it on auto as it will switch itself to the best channel.

Next time you fly open the “HD” panel of the settings and keep an eye on the amount of interference it shows and on what channel. If you see a large peak on one single channel that’s a good indicator that is a single source of high interference is the culprit and that you should make sure your phone is in airplane mode and you aren’t near a major source of interference.

If the interference is high but scattered throughout many channels without a obvious peak then it’s more likely you live in a populated area and many sources of interference are the cause. This is the worst thing to find because this means that 1500 feet is probably your maximum distance since there isn’t much you can do besides amplifying the power and increasing the gain of the antennas.

If it shows there isn’t much interference on the channels the remote detects then it might be an issue with the equipment or how you have orientated.

Just to be sure, have you accidentally set 1500 ft as max distance on the Go4 app? Do you keep your antennas aimed toward your MA?

While I have on occasion lost connection at a similar distance even over BLM land where there was no RF interference, I have often flown out well over 1 mile. Something has to be wrong if you consistently have this issue with your MA.

Check settings
Pair the remote to air craft again.
Check for updates

Are you in the US/Canada or somewhere outside North America?

What is in the area you are flying from? Is it always the same starting point? Are there trees, buildings, hills etc. around when you are flying?

Altitude can also have un-desired effects on range.
The AC can be compromised by interference at low altitudes.

Generally speaking you might try going higher to go further - if you're only at 100-200ft altitude, try get up in the 300's and see if that improves distance.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1