DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air Photo Resolution

There is absolutely a difference. What happens if you decide that the sweet spot of the image you wanted was not in the camera cropped image?

View attachment 97090

What if you decide, for whatever reason, that you want a little less sky and a little more land?

View attachment 97091

The more pixels you have at your disposal the better. Especially when batch changing images to whatever aspect ratio you want, and keep in mind you may wish to use that image in a completely different context at a later stage, is trivial.
First if I was wanting to stop and take a still I would frame what I want...in your example it seems you would have black bars unless you zoomed in post no?
There is absolutely a difference. What happens if you decide that the sweet spot of the image you wanted was not in the camera cropped image?

View attachment 97090

What if you decide, for whatever reason, that you want a little less sky and a little more land?

View attachment 97091

The more pixels you have at your disposal the better. Especially when batch changing images to whatever aspect ratio you want, and keep in mind you may wish to use that image in a completely different context at a later stage, is trivial.
Unless there are more PPI in the 4:3 option I can't imagine I would ever use it...but thanks

So OP is likely seeing the jpg thumbnail embedded in the raw file? That makes sense.
This is exactly what I was doing. I was putting my sd card into my computer, opening it and comparing my .jpg vs .dng files. I would right click on them and go to properties then detail and look at the image dimensions. I did not know that .dng files show a preview thumbnail. I tested this out the other day and opened my .dng file up in lightroom, edited the photo then saved it. my resolution 4056x3040 once it exported in a .jpg format.

The embedded jpg do seem to be 960 × 544 (16:9) and 960 × 720 (4:3)
I was confused cause I have never seen a file with the information embedded before. I'm used to just looking at the property detail and seeing what image resolution its in, like .jpg, .cr2, cr3 files.

You are looking at the preview jpg file embedded in the raw. Try opening the DNG file in a capable editing program.
Thank you for helping me. So is the .dng file the only one out of .jpg/.cr2/.cr3 that has an embedded file and a .jpg preview?

This is exactly what I was doing. I was putting my sd card into my computer, opening it and comparing my .jpg vs .dng files. I would right click on them and go to properties then detail and look at the image dimensions. I did not know that .dng files show a preview thumbnail. I tested this out the other day and opened my .dng file up in lightroom, edited the photo then saved it. my resolution 4056x3040 once it exported in a .jpg format.
I love a happy ending! Thumbswayup

Reactions: Curtismqt

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest