DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air Prop Icing

ctoms

Reactions
Just thought I’d share this. We do tower inspections and other work using UAS all over the US. We recently bought a few Mavic Airs for the crews to keep on hand as a low cost back up in case they ran into risky projects or other things they did not want to risk their main machine on. Turns out we are using them in poor weather situations and rain to save potential issues on the other machines (when we can stay in compliance of course) and the little things are holding up amazingly well . I did a site a few weeks ago where I had little time to spare for light, the wind picked up, the temp dropped but was still fairly decent and a light fog/mist rolled in as I was taking the last images. The weather was borderline when I took off which is why I decided to get the Mavic Air out and the weather got bad quickly. Anyway I could feel something going on and when I landed I noticed iceing on the props. I did have a few times where I felt sluggish and under powered or delayed and a had a couple semi violent shutters which I assumed at the time was water or snow falling off the tower hitting the blades which happens to us a bit in winter but that could have been ice letting go from the props.

I just thought it was neat. I’ve flown hundreds of project all over the Midwest the last 3 1/2 years and have had my props ice before, just not in such warm weather and in such a short pronounced time period. Kinda cool

IMG_5231.JPG
IMG_5228.JPG

Thanks and sorry the pictures suck. It melted so fast I didn’t get a second chance.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChickenOverload