DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air video skipping during live view, and on video playback

Snowman38

Reactions
Good morning fellow mavi's,

I am new here, and am having some trouble with my vids. This issue has happened twice, at close range with the same camera setting and SD card. while recording video the live view will freeze and skip. This same freeze and skip shows on the SD card video as well. This does not seem to occur when not recording.

per web searched solutions I've pulled the video to my phone (iphone 6s) to my pc via card reader, and to my pc hard drive. All three playbacks are exactly the same.

here's my setup for both flights

SD card: SanDisk Ultra Plus 64G
1080p 60fps
mp4 format
Anti Flicker off
Filmed in Litchi Waypoint missions

I am currently uploading the video to youtube for your viewing pleasure.

Thanks in advance,

-The Snowman

Last edited:
I just ran the mission again in 1080/30 on the internal card. Looks much better. uploading to youtube now.

Last edited:
Its your card. There are many posts here on which ones work.

Thanks. So a writing issue to the card will make itself seen during the live video downlink?

I took the lexar 633x out of my GoPro and installed it. Going to try the same mission again when it stops raining.

You'll get there. I recommend using multiple 16 or 32 cards. Change the card when you swap batteries so you never lose video due to a lost drone. Your'e data is only as safe as your last flight :)

Struggling with very choppy Mavic Air imagery for the first time.
Been using P4P for years without any problems.
Brand new Mavic Air (updated all soft/firmware), new Macbook pro, using Lexar 1000x 64 GB (10) card (re-formatted in drone). Shooting at 4k 24p. Viewing all raw footage is constantly choppy.
Haven't produced such poor technical quality imagery in years. Unusable.
Sample here:
Vimeo: Lawrence Hislop

Any advice appreciated.

L

Attachments

• 61eh3uCSj2L._SL1050_.jpg
    61eh3uCSj2L._SL1050_.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
What a shame the video didn’t work out. That would’ve been a great shot.

I’ve been running tests on the SD cards. The Mavic Air seems to be really picky. I ran a couple shoots using the onboard storage and didn’t have any issues.

I tried again with my freshly formatted SanDisk ultra 64 and it was a bit better. Then tried a lexar 633 and had better results.

The general notification page in go4 still lists the 633 as “Slow SD Card” though.

The Mavic Air is not picky at all, you just need to understand how SD cards work, and they do not make it easy for the customer since all they ever do is advertise the theoretical maximum transfer (read) speed, which is totally useless in this case.

The Sandisk Ultra Plus does not have a minimum sustained write speed fast enough for 100Mbps 4K video (12.5MB/s). They don't advertise those speeds, so you need to make sure the card says either V30 or U3 on it, signifying that it has a minimum sustained write speed of at least 30 MB/s. Most cards you buy are Class 10 / U1 / V10 (even ones that advertise 100MB/s transfer rates) which is only a minimum sustained write speed of 10MB/s which is not enough.

You don't want to be using Sandisk Ultra or Lexar 633x cards either because they are all Class 10 / U1 which means their minimum sustained write speeds are not fast enough.

These cards, for example, are very cheap and work well:

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Extr...8&qid=1536255155&sr=8-6&keywords=v30+micro+sd

Notice the "V30" and "U3" ratings (they can have either, they don't need both) - that is what you need to look for.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info, much appreciated.
I am currently using Lexar 1000x U3 XCII. Hopefully attached pic of the card comes thru. I would have expected this to work fine. Perhaps it is defective somehow? I'll have to buy a few more cards regardless and hope they work out ok. Thanks again.

Attachments

• 61eh3uCSj2L._SL1050_.jpg
    61eh3uCSj2L._SL1050_.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 3
Thanks for all the info, much appreciated.
I am currently using Lexar 1000x U3 XCII. Hopefully attached pic of the card comes thru. I would have expected this to work fine. Perhaps it is defective somehow? I'll have to buy a few more cards regardless and hope they work out ok. Thanks again.

That one should be fine.

The "II" is actually UHS-II (the bus speed) which is overkill as the Mavic Air doesn't even support that, but it is backwards compatible and will work. If that U3 card is still causing you problems with dropped frames, then maybe you got a bad card or something. Make sure you're formatting it in the drone as well.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deepdark