DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic air vs mavic mini 2

mavicmaestro

Reactions
Mavic air had it for 2 years flew down beaches every where etc
The mavic air is advanced and cAn do anything so buying the mavic mini 2 was like over kill.
Recently bought the mavic mini 2
Mavic mini 2 indoor performance is amazing so much so I’m trying to figure out how to get the mavic air to fly indoors and it’s just too big and too powerful for indoor use.
I tried to fly around some thick trees in a park low and the mavic mini 2 had perfect transmission throughout the flight
The mavic air struggled a bit getting into tight tree corners.
Mavic air has the very useful tap fly for long distance flight with very good situational awareness with obstacle sensing.
Mavic air is just a great drone for short range flight 500m flight especially at ground hugging altitude.
I tend to fly drones not manually use a lot of assistance so the mavic air beats the mavic mini 2 for distance.
In the UK it’s getting cold and windy and I found the mavic mini2 flew well up to 30m 15mph wind not risking any higher.

I've been a strong advocate and fan of the Air 1. If it had Occusync 2.0 it would be THE go to choice for all-around versatile drone.

Gesture-based control for absolute minimum hassle/gear/setup in the moment to get a selfie of you and your spouse/child/friend at the vista point on a leisure drive. More control via cell phone connected via wifi, no controller setup necessary. Then, of course, full control with the remote.

Obstacle avoidance, intelligent flight modes, etc. are there when you can truly use them. You can use the MA1 more easily than the MM2 for a quick capture of a moment, place, or time. It also has a compact semi-hard case that fits just the folded drone, making it really easy to haul it around with you.

I'm very disappointed in the MA2 (love the MM2, but different class of drone). While I fly it a fair amount, it's mostly to get to features that aren't available on the MA1 (hyperlapse being something I use a lot on the MA2). The MA2 would be perfect if it was the same as it is -- basically a smaller Mavic Pro 1 with a better camera -- but with all the features of the MA1, plus (i.e. product advancement).

Because of these feature decisions, the MA1 continues to be an active, important member of my drone collection.

Reactions: hiflyer201
I've never owned the Air 1, but I feel like the MM2 is probably better than the Air 1. Sure, the MM2 doesn't have obstacle avoidance, but in CE environment that OcuSync 2.0 makes the MM2 just more usable. I have the MM1, and I know from the experience that the Wifi in CE mode makes it unusable for someone who wants to explore their environment or shoot video/photos.

Reactions: raymairjr
I've never owned the Air 1, but I feel like the MM2 is probably better than the Air 1. Sure, the MM2 doesn't have obstacle avoidance, but in CE environment that OcuSync 2.0 makes the MM2 just more usable. I have the MM1, and I know from the experience that the Wifi in CE mode makes it unusable for someone who wants to explore their environment or shoot video/photos.
Thats where the FCC mode comes in handy, and it’s done in a few minutes to change over from CE. I have the Air 1, and the range is more then enough for me in FCC, have been out well over 1km without any signal loss or disturbance. In FCC it can in optimal condition go 4km. Compared to the FCC on the Spark, it’s WAY better (Enhanced WiFi vs WiFi)

I've been a strong advocate and fan of the Air 1. If it had Occusync 2.0 it would be THE go to choice for all-around versatile drone.

Gesture-based control for absolute minimum hassle/gear/setup in the moment to get a selfie of you and your spouse/child/friend at the vista point on a leisure drive. More control via cell phone connected via wifi, no controller setup necessary. Then, of course, full control with the remote.

Obstacle avoidance, intelligent flight modes, etc. are there when you can truly use them. You can use the MA1 more easily than the MM2 for a quick capture of a moment, place, or time. It also has a compact semi-hard case that fits just the folded drone, making it really easy to haul it around with you.

I'm very disappointed in the MA2 (love the MM2, but different class of drone). While I fly it a fair amount, it's mostly to get to features that aren't available on the MA1 (hyperlapse being something I use a lot on the MA2). The MA2 would be perfect if it was the same as it is -- basically a smaller Mavic Pro 1 with a better camera -- but with all the features of the MA1, plus (i.e. product advancement).

Because of these feature decisions, the MA1 continues to be an active, important member of my drone collection.
Two other shortcomings of MA1:
Short flight time for a Mavic
One of the noisiest of the Mavics.

When M2 came out, I thought it would be a best of combination of MA1 and MPP. No dice. Lots of features stripped out of M2 that either MPP or MA1 had. Precision Landing didn't show up for 6 months.

I have an Air 1 and an Air 2 and find the biggest differences to be the lack of Occusync on the Air 1 and then forcing you to use the much inferior DJI Fly app with the Air 2. The Air two blows it out of the water in just about every other category. It’s so quiet, Occusync is like magic (I was able to fly 3 miles out over the Pacific Ocean and only turned around because of battery, still had fully bars). It’s nice that the Air 1 has gesture mode and the ability to use just the phone and no controller for flight, but it was a rarity that I used either. I crashed the Air 2 (My fault, had APAS set to avoid instead of brake and it avoided one tree by flying right into another) so I’ve had a chance to fly the Air 1 a bunch this week and I am reminded of how much better the DJI GO 4 app is than its replacement, the very weak DJI Fly app. I’ve been using Draw, Tap Fly and enjoying how much easier it is to read the height, distance, speed, and battery level numbers. To me, the DJI Fly app has terrible U/X design and I’m not sure how it got past quality control. It aLos crashes on my iPhone 11 Pro where the GO app never did. All that being said and back to the original topic, I think that anything with Occusync beats anything without it based on that feature alone so IO believe if I owned one I would be flying the Mini 2 more than the Air 1. Occusync just provides a better experience with it’s strong signal, perfect video transmission and mind blowing range. It’s so much superior to “Enhanced WiFi” or even my P4P’S Lightbridge.

I owned both, I really like my new Mini 2 as it has a very stable connection and the signal never dropped, or the live video transmission had these jerky movements. I was surprised with this small size how it is capable of near-identical video quality sometimes even better. However, I get high wind allert with mini 2 as it small so be aware with the wind also no Active track as there are no sensors but overall the Ocu Sync 2.0 is a game-changer I wish my old Mavic Air 1 had it. The flight time with mini 2 is 5-6 Minutes more

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS