DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air - What Don’t You Like

Flying my Mavic Air in a suburban environment I’ve had no worries about some of the “issues” that are claimed for it. Battery lasts long enough (but get several), WiFi range is ok especially when considering keeping the aircraft in visual range, nose is not bad with the Master Airscrew v2 props. On the plus side it’s very compact, has high quality video and photo performance and is quick, stable and reliable. Get one!

I've had a lot of fun with my Mavic Air in the nearly one year that I've owned it. Its small & compact size is great for back country adventuring. I would not be sad if the noise was a bit less, but my major *giant* dislike is:

1. The frequency of being required to re-calibrate the compass (do the 'drone dance'). Seemingly every flight. Sometimes simply changing to a fresh battery triggers it.
2. Not being able to choose to override the compass calibration when circumstances call for it and just get the flippin thing off the ground, compass be damned, when I've landed the drone somewhere not easy to get to.

I've had a lot of fun with my Mavic Air in the nearly one year that I've owned it. Its small & compact size is great for back country adventuring. I would not be sad if the noise was a bit less, but my major *giant* dislike is:

1. The frequency of being required to re-calibrate the compass (do the 'drone dance'). Seemingly every flight. Sometimes simply changing to a fresh battery triggers it.
2. Not being able to choose to override the compass calibration when circumstances call for it and just get the flippin thing off the ground, compass be damned, when I've landed the drone somewhere not easy to get to.
Evrytime the MA had required me to do the drone dance, I had either travelled a significant distance from my last location or it has been more than 30 days since the last calibration. In my nearly 10 months if flying, u have never (not even once) been forced to do a compass calibration that didn't have to do with either of those two reasons. Which makes me think this issue may be caused by storage near a strong magnetic field, or flight environment that has significant magnetic interference. Or may be I am just lucky and got an exceptionally well behaved unit.

Reactions: DanMan32
Everytime the MA had required me to do the drone dance, I had either travelled a significant distance from my last location or it has been more than 30 days since the last calibration. In my nearly 10 months if flying, u have never (not even once) been forced to do a compass calibration that didn't have to do with either of those two reasons.

Same with mine.

... I'm thinking that when you reset the home point you are setting it to the position of the drone. Not the controller. It say's in case of lost connection.

In Mavic Air the home point is set in 3 ways ...

1. At drone startup to the location where the MA is once a GPS lock is acquired.

2. Manually push the left button in the Home point setting in the GO 4 app (see pic) moves the HP to the aircraft's current position, the home point will be set to the location where the MA is currently flying/standing.

3. Manually push the right button in the Home point setting in the GO 4 app (see pic) the HP will be set to the current location reported by your mobile device (assuming it contains a GPS receiver).

If the MA or remote controller move after the home point has been set, you'll need to manually reset the home point again to move it from the last set position .

The so called "Dynamic Home point" which Mavic Pro & I believe Spark has isn't available in GO 4 for the Mavic Air ... you can see the explanation how it works in the crossed over part in the pic.

2019-11-27_12-30-46.jpg

Evrytime the MA had required me to do the drone dance, I had either travelled a significant distance from my last location or it has been more than 30 days since the last calibration. In my nearly 10 months if flying, u have never (not even once) been forced to do a compass calibration that didn't have to do with either of those two reasons. Which makes me think this issue may be caused by storage near a strong magnetic field, or flight environment that has significant magnetic interference. Or may be I am just lucky and got an exceptionally well behaved unit.
Lucky you, and I mean that sincerely. Mine requires re-calibration if I give it a stern look. Weak magnetic fields exist everywhere so perhaps I have an insufficiently shielded compass. I suspect inferior compass design due to pressure to keep cost low.

I had my mavic air for almost 8 months already, what I don't like are the following:

* Noisy props
* Video/photo noise (though it can be repair during post-process)

Other than that, everything seems okay to me considering how small and price it had.

Thanks all. I just pulled the trigger. It is definitely an upgrade from a P3P. It has pros and cons but I’m confident that I will be happy overall. Just bought the MAS V2 props. Now on a hunt for a good deal on extra batteries. After that, will be looking to upgrade the antennas.

Has anyone bought batteries from eBay? I see some for around $65 new. Are they any good?
Be sure the site is a formal DJI approved seller and that the batteries are genuine DJI. $65 sounds way to good to be true. DJI has a coupon for 20% off until tomorrow or try @djidroneservice as they have posted a discount on many things DJI.

Reactions: DDS
BTW, from what we know (which isn't much) there are at least two manufactures that make batteries for the MA; SUNWOUDA and Dungan Ampierage (may have gotten the spelling wrong - will check later)

From several posts in this forum, batteries made by the later seem to be better. Mine definetly is. So if you have the chance to go in to a physical store and check the manufacturer of the battery (I assume it is written on the packaging but not sure) you may be better off in the end.

Reactions: Flipsonic
I love my Mavic Air. I have had a number of disconnects but always got the drone back. My only beef is having to calibrate the compass almost every time I fly.

really nice photo's Slurp. Whats the Altitude restriction in Sweden? Is it higher than our U.S. 400 feet?

Love my MA.
If you fly further away from your base, fly higher in order to maintain a connection. I usually fly suburban and rarely have any issues, EXCEPT around power lines.
The noise doesn't bother me, but I do like how quiet the M2P is!!

For the love of all that is DJI, please do not rely on the APAS system. APAS does not see everything. It's useful in some situations (I did a flight around some old gravestones where there were overhanging trees) but it is situation dependent.
The 4K is amazing and the fact it doesn't have 60fps does not bother me in the slightest. The camera quality rocks!

I hope you enjoy your purchase!!

really nice photo's Slurp. Whats the Altitude restriction in Sweden? Is it higher than our U.S. 400 feet?
¨Thank's :)

Think the restrictions are pretty similar here as in U.S. ...

From airports with a radius of 3 miles is it a no fly zone
Then outside that, a surveillance zone with no special distance or shape from the airport (need official drone map to know were it ends), civilian airport 150 feet, military airport 30 feet
From helipads with a radius of 0,6 miles is it a no fly zone
Specified military installations, national parks & some other special areas according to the official drone map can also be no fly zones
Every were else 400 feet

We shall also keep the drone within un-aided VLOS...

Have to admit that some of the pictures was from my one and only "test of the limits" :oops:;)

Reactions: hiflyer201
Sold my P3P and in the market for a Mavic Air. I’ve seen many YouTube vids and so far this is the one for me. The main reasons are: compact, APAS, Quick Shot modes, 4K. Except for 4K, those are things I didn’t have on my P3P. I know it’s loud, battery is not as efficient , wifi interference. Just wanted to hear from your first hand experience what don’t you like about it. Maybe there is something I don’t know about. Thanks.
after market props quiet the air. below is one of many YT vids on props.
I had the Spark, and without OTG, I could get 1.5 miles with the wifi.
Wifi is not bad, if you stay reasonably close in areas of interference. I actually liked the wifi because one less cable and/or setup time

Here are the things I didn’t like about the air:
1. Flight time - you need more than 1 battery to truly enjoy it
2. Compass Calibration - If you travel outside of your home area, expect to do the calibration every **** time. I think this annoyed me the most. I dont remember last time I had to do a calibration with my Mavic Pro.
3. Flight Distance - Yes mentioned many times.

Aesthetically though, it was the nicest drone I owned :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keith J