DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air while flying at 200 ft (which was 100 ft above nearest trees) stopped like it was about to hit something .

BuffaloAir

Reactions
Hi fellow Mavic Air pilots,

This morning while flying my Mavic Air at about 100ft (which was 50 ft above nearest trees) about 220 ft away from me it stopped as if it was about to hit something . It did it repeatedly when flying over the exact same spot on the ground. If I flew to the right or left of that spot it would not stop but keep on flying. Max distance was set at 3000m and max altitude at 120m. Any ideas, it was as if there was a huge tree growing up over 200 feet and obstacle avoidance was working well, but there was no tree only air. Coincidentally, I just recalibrated my IMU yesterday as I was having moving motion around the yaw axis. When stopped in place the aircraft would yaw the the right and continue that movement till I stopped it by holding left stick correction. Had to hold the correction or it would start yaw again. Recalibration of IMU seemed to solve this. But, now I have the above behavior. May not be related however thought I would throw it out there for consideration. Flight Record attached.

Thank you

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2021-03-22_[09-01-15].txt
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Yep, stopped by the sun. Happens to most models with forward OA. Turn off OA or change direction. Kinda shocking the first time hitting an invisible wall. Happened to my Phantom yesterday on takeoff, facing a south sun but unusual as the sun was still high.
Now you know. Enjoy

Your IMU calibration was the correct call for the drift. Good reminder for others, anytime it’s not responding correctly to stick commands. Or responding to no commands. ?

Your IMU calibration was the correct call for the drift. Good reminder for others, anytime it’s not responding correctly to stick commands. Or responding to no commands. ?
Yep, stopped by the sun. Happens to most models with forward OA. Turn off OA or change direction. Kinda shocking the first time hitting an invisible wall. Happened to my Phantom yesterday on takeoff, facing a south sun but unusual as the sun was still high.
Now you know. Enjoy
Thank you for your help, your time and assistance is truly appreciated.

Being able to move to left or right, suggests it was obstacle avoidance.
The most common explanation for this behaviour in mid-air is the OA identifying a low, bright sun as an obstacle.
I should have known that I believe I've heard it before, thank you for your help.

This morning while flying my Mavic Air at about 100ft (which was 50 ft above nearest trees) about 220 ft away from me it stopped as if it was about to hit something . It did it repeatedly when flying over the exact same spot on the ground. If I flew to the right or left of that spot it would not stop but keep on flying. Max distance was set at 3000m and max altitude at 120m. Any ideas, it was as if there was a huge tree growing up over 200 feet and obstacle avoidance was working well, but there was no tree only air. Coincidentally, I just recalibrated my IMU yesterday as I was having moving motion around the yaw axis. When stopped in place the aircraft would yaw the the right and continue that movement till I stopped it by holding left stick correction. Had to hold the correction or it would start yaw again. Recalibration of IMU seemed to solve this. But, now I have the above behavior. May not be related however thought I would throw it out there for consideration. Flight Record attached.

Thank you
Hello. It may have stopped due to the drone pitching downward, during forward flight. The avoidance sensors may have detected the top of the trees.

Thank you

Your info you posted kind of contradicts itself. Maybe re-reading what you posted along with header would clarify exactly how high you were truly flying.

I, myself, have never noticed the "sun stop" effect - but it does seem to happen a lot to others.

Most of the trees in my area top out in the 75-100 foot range, so if you were flying at 100ft AGL - then you were a lot closer than 50 feet. When I fly sunsets from my house, I get the tops of the trees in view to provide some visual reference and they appear up past 75 - 85 feet. Also if you took off in a lower area than where flying - those 75+ foot trees would be real close to 100 feet where you were flying.

Hard to truly diagnose with no video, but deciphering the flight files may provide more clues.

Dust or fingerprints on sensor seem to make the sun thing worse at various angles. I have made cleaning sensors part of my pre flight now.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada