DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic and Strong wind

fiftiesnut

Reactions
I came across this video on Utube. I know this subject has been kicked around a lot but I was impressed with this wind test and thought I would share.

Why not just add this to one of the other threads? Why start a new one?

Sorry but I am new when it comes to getting around on this forum. I just thought this was an interesting video worth sharing. From no on, I will keep my opinions to my self and not bore you old timers.

Sorry but I am new when it comes to getting around on this forum. I just thought this was an interesting video worth sharing. From no on, I will keep my opinions to my self and not bore you old timers.

I came across this video on Utube. I know this subject has been kicked around a lot but I was impressed with this wind test and thought I would share.

Impressive test and looks very stable but you need to add the caveat that if it gets too far down wind, that is when there are issues getting back to home!:)

I'm not criticizing anyone -- it was a legitimate comment. There are other VERY active threads on the topic that have multiple comments -- and the video you've posted would certainly contribute to that dialog.

When you post to a popular thread, every previous commenter (plus those just watching) are automatically notified of the new post. More notifications = more participation. This serves the purpose of posting, doesn't it?

I'm not chastising anyone. I just want to make this the richest information resource possible.

I'm not criticizing anyone -- it was a legitimate comment. There are other VERY active threads on the topic that have multiple comments -- and the video you've posted would certainly contribute to that dialog.

When you post to a popular thread, every previous commenter (plus those just watching) are automatically notified of the new post. More notifications = more participation. This serves the purpose of posting, doesn't it?

I'm not chastising anyone. I just want to make this the richest information resource possible.
By the way. You joined this forum on my birthday so I am sure we will be friends here in the future.

Reactions: pixl
One bad comment to start this thread, and not a single post has been on-topic. @fiftiesnut, you're welcome to post whatever you want, wherever you want. It is often more interesting for an OP to start a new thread to see where/how the conversation deviates from the others. That said, anyone want to comment on the wind video? :p or are we going to keep picking on @pixl?
I'm not criticizing anyone -- it was a legitimate comment.
You have to admit, as a first reply, it derailed the entire thread. I don't care either way... I'm just stating a fact.

I was apprehensive about wind at first but after flying up to 13-14,000ft mountain summits I quickly realized the MP will literally cease the capability of moving forward once gusts get up towards 30-40mph. In other words, you don’t need to worry about it getting flipped around and ravaged. The more important factors will be planning your flight distance/getting back and having enough room to descend while accelerating, taking off, landing, and having stable video. Might even keep the gimbal lens hood on to reduce possible gimbal damage.

Reactions: fiftiesnut
Thanks for posting this and starting the NEW thread. Any information that shows or explores the limits of the MP is appreciated.
Keep it up!

Speak your peace, please. We all learned to walk one step at a time.

Thanks for the video. I'm surprised how well the Mavic did in that wind. I'd like to see how well it does flying around and not just straight up and down. Even after seeing it perform in such strong winds, I'll probably play it safe and stay grounded when it's windy.

I have found the MP to be a fairly reliable indicator of when to fly with respect to wind. I live on the beach in Cancun so we have wind 24 x 7 x 365. On a calm day it is 5-9mph. I watch my RC for high wind warnings. If my drone is nearby and I am not over water I just ignore them but I don't send my drone 300 feet high where the winds are worse and unpredictable. It seems to me that 95% of the people who lose their drone or who wrecked their drone fell into one of the following categories. 1. They were pretty inexperienced and wanted to see what the drone could do on Day 1. 2. They sent the drone over 1 km away from them--far out of their line of sight. 3. They sent the drone too high not thinking of wind differences than those they have on land. 4. They want to find fault with DJI or their MP when the real problem was most likely human error. If you keep your drone in sight or close to being in sight and it goes bonkers you will have a much better chance of recovering it or possibly even reconnecting with it before it crashes. But when your drone goes schizo at 4 km away--well, just kiss it goodbye.

I do feel better after reading ALL of the responses to my original post. I will admit my feeling were hurt with the first few comments after my post. Thanks all for your help and understanding.

Welcome Fifties nut! In case you hadn't figured it out, My sarcastic posts were on your side.
Thats just how I roll. In fact, my wife got me a t-shirt for Christmas that says 'Sarcasm, its how I hug' :D

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
360Guy