DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Calibration Requirements

This is a newbie question. I just received my Mavic Pro Platinum and I have been founding through countless video tutorials while also reading the latest Owners Manual. My question to the group is; after you “activate your Mavic, should you calibrate everything (compass, IMU, gimbal, etc...) even if the GO4 app is not requesting that you do so?

I just got my Mavic Pro Platinum last week and on Saturday, the first thing I did was turn on the controller than turned on the mavic and opened the GO-4 app. I activated my MPP and once it said activation successful I turned it off and purchased the DJI Refresher Program, just in case.
Then I went back and restarted the MPP controller, started the mavic pro platinum, and opened the DJI GO-4 app. I got a message on my screen to update my local map and so I did. It then asked me to calibrate the compass so I did and followed the instructions given on the screen. It was very easy. I received another message on the screen telling me to update the firmware. After having done so the message on the screen was GO FLY That was all it took and my drone took to the sky, oh the joy!!!.

All the reading that you have done will definitely come in handy. I know you probably watched the video for beginners where it tells you to calibrate the Compass and the IMU. FYI, the screen didn't show a message to calibrate the IMU, so I didn't. One last thing, don't forget to take off the gimble cover and the protector thingy before you stat your MPP.

Happy Flying

Last edited:
These calibrations might have been upset by rough handling in transit, or the mavic box being near something magnetic.
On the other hand if you do compass or IMU incorrectly or in a poor location you might make things (much) worse.
I would look at the sensors screen in the app and see if the IMU looks OK.
You can see the compass there too but it is definitely advisable to calibrate that on first use at your location.

The IMU calibration procedure is best done indoors on a level surface.
With the arms folded the app will give warnings about compass most likely.
For IMU metal nearby is not a concern.
For compass calibration you want to be well away from anything metallic such as vehicles or even rebar in concrete.
Once the compass is done in a good place you probably won't need do it again for many flights unless the app shows it is needed or wandering is noticed.

Compass can be temporarily affected by placing the mavic near metal inadvertently e.g. on a table with metal supports below.
If you get a warning, first move it away from any metal object, don't try to calibrate to 'fix' the compass while you are in this unsuitable place.
Ditto, ditto, ditto!! Although most won’t have any issue flying their Mavic “right out of the box”, this simple procedure would be recommmend by nearly all experienced quad pilots across every forum. Aside from when and where the last calibrations were performed, the fact that your new bird traveled likely by truck, plane, truck and who knows what else, in other words, was handled and jostled a number of times, I would never risk a first flight without completing a fresh IMU and compass calibration.

Reactions: Hal
Ditto, ditto, ditto!! Although most won’t have any issue flying their Mavic “right out of the box”, this simple procedure would be recommmend by nearly all experienced quad pilots across every forum. Aside from when and where the last calibrations were performed, the fact that your new bird traveled likely by truck, plane, truck and who knows what else, in other words, was handled and jostled a number of times, I would never risk a first flight without completing a fresh IMU and compass calibration.
I'm a very experienced quad pilot and I would not recommend it. Speak for yourself, not others. ;)

I am a new pilot and got my Mav about a month ago. As some stated calibrate the IMU. Do a compass cal and last a gimbal auto cal. You will be good to go. Shipping could have thrown those things out of wack. It’s a prudent thing to do and not hard. Enjoy the Mav it’s awesome

Thanks again to everyone for all of your comments and suggestions. I have been traveling and unfortunately not been able to activate my MPP yet. I will be home this week and hope to fly (Michigan weather permitting!) I will see what my Mavic “say’s” to do.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d