DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic "commuting" between two RCs: would this work?

Since our community grew in the mean time, could it be that somebody else experimented more with the use of two RCs and one aircraft? Still not willing to purchase a second RC before getting proper feedback from soemone who already has...

It works very well but there is a few quirks.
You can link a master and slave controller to the drone. It can be shut down and restarted and still maintain the link. The master has the only control of switching to sport mode unless it looses connection or the master is shut off. If the master is shut off or looses connection the slave is allowed to switch it sport mode. The slave can can function alone as if it is the master as long is the master is not connected.
The biggest quirk of all is that a distant controller (either master or slave makes no difference) cannot connect to the drone unless the controller from the take off side shuts off or loses connection. But this happens very seamless and it does not even trigger a RTH if you have the distant controller on and attempting to connect.

My only conclusion to this anomaly is that the 2 RCs communicate directly to each other when close enough to do so.
To me it would have made more sense to program the drone as an AP and process communication through the drone but they did not program it this way.

I am not sure what else there is to know about it. I have experimented with it for many flights and have found these variables to be very consistent.

Reactions: Capra Vecinului
Since our community grew in the mean time, could it be that somebody else experimented more with the use of two RCs and one aircraft? Still not willing to purchase a second RC before getting proper feedback from soemone who already has...

If there is anything you would like me to test that i have not mentioned let me know and i will test it for you.

Reactions: Capra Vecinului
Thanks a lot WIMMPYIII; you covered all my scenarios, especially for this part: "The biggest quirk of all is that a distant controller (either master or slave makes no difference) cannot connect to the drone unless the controller from the take off side shuts off or loses connection."
That is kind of scary for me and will keep me away from purchasing a second RC; well, at least until this will not be done differently by DJI (for ex. like you suggested: "program the drone as an AP and process communication through the drone").

Reactions: fallengod
Thanks a lot WIMMPYIII; you covered all my scenarios, especially for this part: "The biggest quirk of all is that a distant controller (either master or slave makes no difference) cannot connect to the drone unless the controller from the take off side shuts off or loses connection."
That is kind of scary for me and will keep me away from purchasing a second RC; well, at least until this will not be done differently by DJI (for ex. like you suggested: "program the drone as an AP and process communication through the drone").

It is not an issue as long as you do not try and fly further than the drone could return on its own it the case of complete loss of connection.
Have you ever turned off your controler mid flight and then turned it back on?

Actually I didn't; I'm too "young" in the drone business and enjoy too much the Mavic to do this risky thing :) I prefer staying always in control, as long as no issues appear, would not try to provoke any. But I'm sure that 99% the Mavic would reconnect.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidt2