DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic down in the water

donj91711

Reactions
I was flying over a reservoir taking a video, when everything just started spinning and dropping.
Here's the video

I have DJI Care Refresh, but I don't have high hopes that they will replace it. After reading a few threads on here I'm losing hope.

Does anybody have a clue what might have happened? Do you think I have a chance with DJI, getting a replacement?

I tried uploading the flight log (.csv file) and it says its not allowed to upload. Is this the right file?

Birds are pretty aggressive but usually attack when flying over trees or their nesting area.

This video make me wonder about the longevity of the props. How many flight hours on your Mavic? Any prior prop strikes?

Reactions: Mike_Flys
If you retrieve the drone and send it to DJI, they will cover it under Refresh. If you dont retrieve it, you will have to prove a manufacturing defect caused the crash. Looks like a prop spun off.

There are videos on YouTube of people cutting off half of one of the props and the mavic still having a stable flight this looks like something either hit it or maybe one of the props completely flew off it wasnt loss of power because it recorded the beginning of the death fall I still got money on the bird theory.

I was a few hundred feet away, but I had eyes on the drone. I saw no bird. I watched it go all the way down and hit the water.
The props were fairly new. I had hit a tree branch a few months ago so I bought new ones. No crashes since I got the new props. Do props need to be replaced every so many hours even without a crash?
There is no way for me to retrieve the drone as its in a pretty deep body of water.
Am I completely out of luck with the DJI Refresh?

Seems like this is happening more often if it is the props that are the issue. I have seen quite a few threads and/or posts recently where 1 of the 3 prongs on the props were just completely missing. Since I have started seeing more of this I have started to take off my props and check that all 3 prongs are intact before flying. Sorry for your loss and I hope you get a replacement! Also check out State Farm Personal Articles Policy for your next drone. I stayed far away from care refresh and went with State Farm. $60 a year, full coverage (even if drone is not recovered) and $0 deductible. You can put up to $5000 total in items or accessories under tho policy as well for the $60 a year.

Here's the flight log right at the time everything went haywire. What does speed error mean?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-10-22 at 10.43.37 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-10-22 at 10.43.37 PM.png
    180.6 KB · Views: 221
Where is that, I noticed your in San Jose, sorry you lost your drone, looks like an easy dive spot, but the soot at the bottom is probably thick making it impossible to find.
I avoid flying over water, I already flew 2 drones into my pool.

Reactions: k3vnnyork
Upload the log to phantomhelp.com for far better detail. Then someone can go through it and look.

I avoid flying over water,.
I'm of two minds on this one. Flying over water is fun, usually wide open, and LOS and VLOS is easy to maintain. If something happens and you crash there is very little chance of injuring someone or damaging property, other than the quad.. and of course, that's the real "con" of flying over water. I am thinking more and more about putting some floats on after reading about so many crashes here and in the Spark forums.

Sorry about your loss. I had a Phantom2 fall into the ocean under similar mysterious circumstances.

In your case, I did a frame-by-frame and it looks one of the props was chipped at the tip. Not sure if this caused the problem, was a result of the problem, or is simply an aberration of the camera.

Also, it's curious that your data dump shows loss of 7 satellites in 0.1 seconds only to regain 5 of them 0.3 seconds later. You also experienced extreme deceleration, losing 16 mph of speed in 0.2 seconds! I wonder how DJI would explain that??

View media item 1339

Sorry about your loss. I had a Phantom2 fall into the ocean under similar mysterious circumstances.

In your case, I did a frame-by-frame and it looks one of the props was chipped at the tip. Not sure if this caused the problem, was a result of the problem, or is simply an aberration of the camera.

Also, it's curious that your data dump shows loss of 7 satellites in 0.1 seconds only to regain 5 of them 0.3 seconds later. You also experienced extreme deceleration, losing 16 mph of speed in 0.2 seconds! I wonder how DJI would explain that??

View media item 1339
Seems like you have a pretty solid case. Give DJI refresh a try. You have nothing to loose.

Wanderer, thanks for your analysis. I stepped through the video and didn't notice that possible chip before. Maybe evidence of hitting something in the air?
I did notice the loss of 7 satellites and loss of speed.
I opened up a support case with DJI and uploaded the flight log. They did inform me that my Care Refresh is worthless because I can't recover the drone. Lino, it's at the Guadalupe reservoir off of Hicks road.
I'll make another post when I hear back from DJI

Wanderer, thanks for your analysis. I stepped through the video and didn't notice that possible chip before. Maybe evidence of hitting something in the air?
I did notice the loss of 7 satellites and loss of speed.
I opened up a support case with DJI and uploaded the flight log. They did inform me that my Care Refresh is worthless because I can't recover the drone. Lino, it's at the Guadalupe reservoir off of Hicks road.
I'll make another post when I hear back from DJI
i had a P3A a few years ago drop like a brick in the ocean. i never recovered it. This was before refresh as well. DJI did replace it. it took several months of back and forth. same situation in that it just dropped. ever since then i fly with floats on. i have refresh and state farm but i would like to recover it in that my curiosity of what happen still is in the back of my mind

Is the lake off-limits for SCUBA? Do you have any SCUBA friends? Might be a challenge they'd like to accept?

Reactions: Mblumster
If there is a marina nearby you might ask if there is a diver available. People often lose stuff in a lake. Depending on the depth it might be worth the cost compared to losing $1000.

I just got great news from DJI! Here's the email:
For the unfortunate incident happened to your drone, we have confirmed it as a warranty case according to our analysis. We would like to offer you a 100% off coupon code for Mavic Pro without charger and remote, then you can place an order for it from DJI online store.
----------If the model is incorrect, please let us know.
----------Sorry that it is not available to apply the value of the discount to any other model other than the original model, or to credit the value to your account.
For us to get the coupon code ready, please kindly help to offer the serial number on the remote. You can also send us a clear picture to show the serial number (it has a QR code next to it). (it might start with 08WJE)
And may I know when you place the order, do you want to ship the aircraft to the US?
Please reply this email directly so that we will handle it in time. Should you have more questions, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks everybody for your thoughts and messages.
What I've learned from this experience is that I'll be buying or building flotation for my new Mavic!

I was flying over a reservoir taking a video, when everything just started spinning and dropping.
Here's the video

I have DJI Care Refresh, but I don't have high hopes that they will replace it. After reading a few threads on here I'm losing hope.

Does anybody have a clue what might have happened? Do you think I have a chance with DJI, getting a replacement?

I tried uploading the flight log (.csv file) and it says its not allowed to upload. Is this the right file?

Welcome to the club. Sorry for your loss.

My Mavic dropped from the sky into a dam during a climb. 100% full lift, no other controls in play, spun uselessly into the water - $1700aud gone.
These things are rubbish.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greg190