DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic drone as part of a bug out kit

Asaulo1

Reactions
was just thinking about this after all the natural calamities that have been happening all around us. I'm thinking of making the mavic a part of my personal bug out/survival kit for me and my family when a big calamity hits. I'm here in So. Cal which is prone to earthquakes and now that Mexico has been hit twice with huge tremblors, it looks more and more like California is due for a major one. Looking over my survival kit, I was wondering if having the Mavic in an always ready state can help out in viewing what the situation looks like around my neighborhood. It'll give you an idea of what places are safe to go to or what places there are to avoid. What are your thoughts or suggestions.

Reactions: wcsilva and kevinb
Not a bad idea. I live in No.Cal where forest fires fill our sky with smoke, for several weeks every year during fire season. We too have our bug-out kit and list of things to grab during an evacuation. The closest that a big fire has burned near us, was about 600 feet from our home. It changes the way you think about *being prepared*. Unfortunately, if the planes and helicopters are flying the fires, I *must* stay grounded. But the Mavic would come in handy if we ever needed to find an alternate route out of here...

Reactions: Asaulo1
I definitely agree with you. I, too, am unfortunately located in a fire zone and annually been struck with our fair share of fires. It would be irresponsible to fly during these events but would be good after to see what routes/options you have once the fire is out. Here's a video of one of these fires just a few months ago

Reactions: Qoncussion
I definitely agree with you. I, too, am unfortunately located in a fire zone and annually been struck with our fair share of fires. It would be irresponsible to fly during these events but would be good after to see what routes/options you have once the fire is out. Here's a video of one of these fires just a few months ago
Darn - that's some scary shite

Reactions: Asaulo1
Here's a little ditty that I filmed from my driveway, three years ago. You don't see the flames, but you'll certainly get the idea. We had bags packed and were ready to evacuate, if the order had come down.

having the Mavic in an always ready state

IMO I don't think this is doable due to the batteries unless you have alot, if you leave them on charge they'll be dead within a year, if you duty cycle them its likely that you need them when they are half flat also high duty cycles can lower capacity

IMO I don't think this is doable due to the batteries unless you have alot, if you leave them on charge they'll be dead within a year, if you duty cycle them its likely that you need them when they are half flat also high duty cycles can lower capacity
understood.. but I try to fly my mavic at least once a week so most of the time both my batteries are fully charged..

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d