DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic failed (mid-air shutdown)

FWIW my Mavic Pro fell out of the sky while hovering at 30'. Like posters above I usually stop at 30' let it hover then ck Go 4 icons then proceed. When I reached 30' I looked down at my Go 4 icons and the Mavic fell out of the sky almost striking me. After striking the ground all lights were on but two forward arms were broke and there was a distinct odor of burnt electronics coming from just behind gimbal but don't know it it was the cause or result of the crash. Everything normal on flight records and battery was fully charged and I think firmly in place. Had flown six previous successful flights that day in same location with nothing abnormal. Checked motors and bottom of unit for heat after every other flight. Will never hover at 30' above me again as the impact at my feet was substantial from the 30' foot fall. The unit was a refurb replacement for my original unit that threw a prop 10 minutes into the flight.

If you have studied for the 107 or have taken this test one thing covered is pre flight operations. Visual inspection and at minimum a mental checklist if good. Props, battery, gimbal guard and compass. Pretty simple and quick but could save you in the long term.

Hi Pilots,

Just curious if any of you experienced or heard Mavic failed during mid flight.
Although mavic has been quite successful, I'm still a bit worry for the safety of its flight.

Thank,
I did experience such an event. I was taking a video from around 20m height. after being stationary for 20-30 sec I pulled up (no obstacle above me) and the Mavic dropped like lost power but still transmitted until crashed.
I did get a replacement drone from DJI's local service company but I have not received any explanation with regard to why it crashed.

Just do a google search: "Mavic fall/fell from sky" and you'll find what you're looking for. Does this mean you should not fly? NO! There are many reasons why an r/c aircraft fails during flight. As long as you've done your pre-flight checks (visual inspection of aircraft, have stable working go4 app, no interference warnings, home point acquired, fully charged battery, etc., etc), you should be good to go. Does this mean you'll NEVER experience failure? NO! There is always a chance something could go wrong. Performing pre-flight checks reduces that chance of failure. I, and many, many others, have been able to enjoy our Mavic with little to no issues at all....but doesn't mean we have perfect Mavics.

My suggestion: Perform proper pre-flight checks, fly in a wide open area with little to no one around and enjoy your Mavic! It's okay to worry a bit...as this will make you a fly cautiously and safely.
Exceptional advice. Very well written.

The documented cases of mavic simply falling out of the sky that I've read all appear to or are suspected to stem from the battery NOT being installed correctly. (1 click instead of 2)
I have been the rare few that my mavic dropped out of the sky while still having power to it, dji said it was a hardware issue and replaced it for free:)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob@max