DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic fan loud?

Ryan Reynoso

Reactions
Does it seem to work hard which in turn being kind of loud? Or is it usually silent? There doesn't seem to be anything wrong but it does seem like it's working hard

Noticed the same. Seems like like the fan works hard blowing warm air out even when it's just sitting there.

Hmmm... this is the first I heard of the Mavic having an internal fan.
:( one more thing to worry about failing!

If the internal fan fails... how long will it take for the internals to cook themselves into failing?

24 cores are bound to generate some heat, and sitting still is probably the worst on the internals, for heat.

24 cores are bound to generate some heat, and sitting still is probably the worst on the internals, for heat.

Yeah.... luckily when I start my drone, I sit on the ground only until I get GPS lock and then I start flying. Hopefully, waiting for GPS lock won't be too long of a delay, even if the internal fan fails.

Of all the things that could go wrong on a Mavic, the internal fan is the last thing I'm worried about. I don't think I've ever had any kind of fan used to cool electronics fail. It's a little annoying when you're just sitting on the ground, but it's really not that bad.... and nothing compared to the noise the props generate.

Reactions: BD0G
The Mavic seems to burn about a percent or so a minute just sitting on the ground. I wonder if the fans do come on in flight. The ESCs must get pretty hot in such a confined area, the heatsink does get hot to the touch sometimes.

I've seen several electronics die due to a broken fan.

24 cores might not necessarily mean more heat. Less load per core could mean they aren't being thrashed as hard. DJI did say there are a lot of sensors, etc so maybe some are used as "back up".

Not trying to pick at comments or anything aha Just a thought when I read your comment

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

The controller has fans to I noticed while upgrading firmware. No fans on either while flying though.

Fan will sound like its working hard but it's just doing its job. There's a lot of data being transmitted through the FC and VTX generating a lot of heat which is being dissipated by the fan. When DJI moved to more reliable integrated VTX units starting with the Phantom 3 they began integrating a cooling fan.

Fan will sound like its working hard but it's just doing its job. There's a lot of data being transmitted through the FC and VTX generating a lot of heat which is being dissipated by the fan. When DJI moved to more reliable integrated VTX units starting with the Phantom 3 they began integrating a cooling fan.
Have you seen any Phantom fan failures?

Have you seen any Phantom fan failures?

None that have been known or reported. Unless you carefully listen for the fan every time you may not hear if the fan were to go out. Really don't think it's something you need to worry about.

I turned on my Mavic for the first time and after only like 10 seconds sitting on the table and holding it in my hand it turned on the fan like on full speed, its a very loud fan sound.

Can this really be normal? My Phantom 2 and my Inspire 1 definitely doesn't have this loud fans.

There are several internal thermocouples monitoring temps which control the fan and it's speed. If the fan were to fail, the RC would give you a temperature alarm.

Reactions: Eyeinthesky33
There are several internal thermocouples monitoring temps which control the fan and it's speed. If the fan were to fail, the RC would give you a temperature alarm.

Yes i guess you are correct about the fan, it would be worse if there were no fan, but what made me question it was that it seemed to go full speed from the get go, immediately, not like a computer fan that can run slower when the temp is not that high yet.

Here's a bit more info that might be useful. I was wondering if it was because of the heat that the fan would go on after a minute of being powered on. So I put my Mavic outside (it's winter here and the temperature last night was -10 C, so pretty cold). After 30 minutes the fan was still running. The aircraft was pretty cold to the touch, even the underbelly. So all this to say I think it goes on automatically regardless of the actual temperature of the components inside. Maybe it goes off when in flight though.

Hmmm... this is the first I heard of the Mavic having an internal fan.
:( one more thing to worry about failing!

If the internal fan fails... how long will it take for the internals to cook themselves into failing?
I didnt know it had a fan,i cooked mine after the first day.Remote never reconnected,i had no idea,got the new one and it sounds like a turbine blowing ow

I know a drone repair tech that believes keeping the Mavic cool is so essential to the longevity of the components that he points a small desk fan at the front of his personal mavics while he's doing firmware updates. He thinks sitting idle for 20 mins with the power on is bad for it's health. It makes sense, so now I do the same thing.

Reactions: Shazstar
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka