DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Gimbal Arm Hitting Filter

Therabitier

Reactions
Problem?
When the Mavic Pro goes into calibrating the gimbal, it gets caught on the VERY last motion of turning in towards the gimbal arm and makes contact. I have made sure to try each of the filters and all seem to clip it enough to get it stuck. YES I have put a lot of pressure ensuring that the filter is all the way on. I also have noticed some slight slant issues when using my hand mount for recording.

Was unit in a crash?
Yes, DJI refresh saved the day. This occurred 2 years ago I believe, and they fixed it. I have a feeling some of the gimbal arm parts were saved and used that were possibly bent, i.e. the 90 degree arm.

What have you tried so far?
I've tried making sure the filter is ALL THE WAY ON.

Thinking of trying to bend back out slightly, but worried that it's plastic and will not handle this and crack, that or throw the entire gimbal out of whack.

What device are you using ( iphone , ipad, Samsung , etc)?
iPhone 6s but mostly iPad.

What firmware are you running ( aircraft, remote controller)?
Most recent/Doesn't apply.

What Go app version are you using?
Doesn't Apply

Any modification? (if so what)
None.

Did you change anything or install any apps? (if so what)
None.

Do you have a video or pictures of the problem? (if so post link)
Phone reception is bad in the office, so I can't get them to the cloud atm, will upload later.IMG_7486.JPGIMG_7487.JPGIMG_7489.JPG

Last edited:
What filter brand are you using?

I have the same set and have no problems. Perhaps a video and an opinion from @Thunderdrones is in order.

Problem?
When the Mavic Pro goes into calibrating the gimbal, it gets caught on the VERY last motion of turning in towards the gimbal arm and makes contact. I have made sure to try each of the filters and all seem to clip it enough to get it stuck. YES I have put a lot of pressure ensuring that the filter is all the way on. I also have noticed some slight slant issues when using my hand mount for recording.

Was unit in a crash?
Yes, DJI refresh saved the day. This occurred 2 years ago I believe, and they fixed it. I have a feeling some of the gimbal arm parts were saved and used that were possibly bent, i.e. the 90 degree arm.

Thinking of trying to bend back out slightly, but worried that it's plastic and will not handle this and crack, that or throw the entire gimbal out of whack.

Doesn't Apply

None.

None.

Phone reception is bad in the office, so I can't get them to the cloud atm, will upload later.

Take a picture of the bottom of the camera from underneath it so we can see how the filter is fitting correctly

Take a picture of the bottom of the camera from underneath it so we can see how the filter is fitting correctly
Added the pictures for you to take a look at. I put the cleaning cloth over the lens and pushed pretty hard with the gimbal in its holder of course.

Seems to me that there is very little clearance even without a filter on the Mavic Pro between the front of the camera and the gimbal arm. Any slight bend/damage to the arm/gimbal assembly will result in the camera jamming during the start-up workout, particularly if a filter is fitted. I have an el cheapo set of Sunnylife filters which have 6 small bumps spaced radially around the bevelled edge of the filter itself, and unless I align the filter correctly before I press it on, it will jam. The genuine DJI filters attach to the camera with three tabs. Provided these tabs are oriented correctly when fitting, I would think this would provide optimum clearance. I'm waiting for my set. Can't beat OEM parts if you ask me.

Never had this problem with PP filters on my MPP (or Spark, or M2P). I am inclined to believe, as you suspect, that the gimb arm is slightly bent. One of PP’s selling points is this clearance.

Problem?

Was unit in a crash?

Doesn't Apply

None.

None.

Phone reception is bad in the office, so I can't get them to the cloud atm, will upload later.View attachment 70708View attachment 70709View attachment 70710
Something I notice in your top pic is that there are scratches on the top of the gimbal arm. Indicates some interference there as well.

Something I notice in your top pic is that there are scratches on the top of the gimbal arm. Indicates some interference there as well.
@Thomas B
Yeah, it was in an accident and DJI quoted me a new gimbal on the repair, but it was under the Refresh coverage, so I have a feeling they spotted parts of the gimbal assembly in there to save some money on repair. I think I am going to attempt to let it calibrate, then place the lens on afterwards and see how the gimbal reacts. I'm just afraid to put much pressure on the gimbal motor when it is under power. Have been the only one of my buddies to not ruin the motor/other issues besides the crash.

Any thoughts on placing PP filters after gimbal calibration?

If not, probably going to look into getting the L bracket single piece.

Thanks for your input guys.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RWShepard