DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Insurance in California

trojan1814

Reactions
Statefarm Insurance doesn't provide drone insurance in California, I called Safeco insurance and was quoted $20/month for drone insurance. Also has a $250 deductible.

Seems steep, anyone else from CA had any luck with getting insurance coverage?

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: CANVagent
Not me, but I'm still looking. I'm in Fresno. My homeowners insurance (travelers / Geico) covers liability and replacement of my drone but after my deductible which doesn't help me because my deductible is $1K.

Are we CA folks just SOL????

Reactions: CANVagent
Did you ask Statefarm if they have Personal Article Property insurance and if you can insure your camera?

Did you ask Statefarm if they have Personal Article Property insurance and if you can insure your camera?

They don't seem to offer coverage to us California folks. In the PhantomPilots forum another suggesting just joining AMA if your a Hobbyist.

They don't seem to offer coverage to us California folks. In the PhantomPilots forum another suggesting just joining AMA if your a Hobbyist.

One of you is talking about 1st party coverage for damage to the Mavic (Personal Article Floater) the other is talking about liability insurance.

The OP is talking about 1st party coverage for damage to the Mavic itself.

One of you is talking about 1st party coverage for damage to the Mavic (Personal Article Floater) the other is talking about liability insurance.

The OP is talking about 1st party coverage for damage to the Mavic itself.
Sorry for confusing the thread but I'm also referring to replacement insurance for the MP.

This is probably the most widely discussed topic in the Facebook forum, and us CA residents are SOL for now.

I'm chasing this SafeCo topic, because SafeCo is a company that we (Liberty Mutual) own. I've been in the insurance world for several years; first in claims, and now on the agent side. It's still my understanding that our SafeCo format doesn't offer the personal articles policy for quadcopters, and we're trying to figure out where that confirmation first started.

Personal Articles Coverage is generally categorized (i.e. Cameras, Jewelry, Currency, etc). The Mavic is a flying camera, but doesn't fit into a known category for this type of policy (yet). Insurance companies are smart, and this coverage is a giant risk. With the growing number of claims filed, it'll be a matter of time before State Farm realizes what they got themselves into.

I'll be checking directly with our SafeCo underwriters within the week. My thought is that whatever agent quoted someone $20 a month, was actually quoting a RENTERS INSURANCE policy, and manually trying to remove the restrictions for "Perils Insured Against". If this is the case, that's a horribly unethical way to try and earn your business, and make you think you have the coverage that we've all been looking for. Not to mention, if it's attached to a renters / home / condo policy, you will be penalized beyond imagination in the event you file a claim. I quote Home insurance policies every single day, I run claims history reports every single day, and I see how much home insurance skyrockets for having this type of claim on file. File more than one claim, and you can count on being rejected by almost every major insurance carrier in the country.

My thought is that the CA Dept of Insurance is aware of this risk category, and its overwhelming popularity in our state. As a result, all carriers in the state are declining this as a product. If State Farm can offer it in every other state, then the common link must be our specific state regulations.

If/when SafeCo decides they want to try and offer Personal Articles policies for drones/quadcopters, you can likely count on a much higher price (and required deductible) after they've sat back and observed State Farm take the hit on this...

Statefarm Insurance doesn't provide drone insurance in California, I called Safeco insurance and was quoted $20/month for drone insurance. Also has a $250 deductible.

Seems steep, anyone else from CA had any luck with getting insurance coverage?

Thanks in advance!
Total rookie move, I meant to reply to this directly with my giant novel of a post :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS