DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic is coming on Tuesday!!!

Rodgers929

Reactions
I honestly have not been able to sleep I'm so excited! I'm a 35 year old man who feels like a kid the night before Christmas! Wanted to touch base with some of you guys and see if you have any tips for me. I have never owned a drone and this little guy will be my first. Any information would be great. I've been watching lots of YouTube videos!

I feel your excitement the first time you fly it you're going to be scared to fly it more than 200 yards because you think it's going to crash but don't be scared this thing can fly miles and come home safely

For a starter fly in open area and adjust the controller layout to the way you feel more comfortable. Enjoy!!!

Reactions: Rodgers929
Also if it's windy don't worry it can handle the wind as long as it's less than 40 miles an hour

I honestly have not been able to sleep I'm so excited! I'm a 35 year old man who feels like a kid the night before Christmas! Wanted to touch base with some of you guys and see if you have any tips for me. I have never owned a drone and this little guy will be my first. Any information would be great. I've been watching lots of YouTube videos!
If it is coming Tuesday you need to buy extra batteries right now

I am a 54 year old man, and felt the same way :) Lots of YT videos, download the DJO app and familiarize yourself with it. Take it slow at first, only fly it in open areas, keep it in beginner's mode. I resisted the urge to fly it for a day or two, and powered it up while it was on the ground to see the screen inputs. An ipad mini is a good way to go, and IOS has proven to get along well with the App. Lots of good info on this website. When you get in to the finer aspects of video, etc., there are very knowledgeable folks on here that can help.

Enjoy it and safe and happy flying! If we can of any help please don't hesitate to reach out. :cool:

Congrats on your purchase...the Mavic is a magnificent piece of technology and it's so darn fun to fly...while waiting for your new arrival..please.....read the manual...it will help you understand your MPro and how to use it...(said with a LOT of emphasis on the RTH feature)...Toms Tech Time, BillyKyle, TVSPro....ReadySetDrone.....a few of my favorites vlogs....lots of good tutorials on how to get started and use your features and camera correctly...and most important...fly SAFE and have FUN!

If it's your first drone then buy the insurance. It will reduce your worries about crashing.

I have just passed through the "initial noobie stage". I would suggest that you:
1) download the manual and read it; familiarize yourself with the basics (e.g. where all the buttons are, how to initiate RTH, how to "pause", movement of the camera, video button, etc.
2) watch the videos on setups and "what not to do's". (setup things like RTH height, max height, beginner versus normal, versus sport modes)
3) figure out your startup routine (remember to include removing the gimbal guard). Have a look at the suggested checklists. Prepare your own and write it down so you have it in the field and can refer to it.
4) take the props off, and start the Mavic inside with a view to outside so it can get a GPS signal. This will allos you to do the setup (the Mavic has to be powered on and connected to the remote control). You can also run the simulator. (this is good for about 10 minutes, but will orient you to the controls. Try flying figure "8's" - clockwise and counter-clockwise.)
5) for your first flight, set a plan of what you want to do (and what elements you want to test to get comfortable with (in case of danger) e.g. RTH operation, pause, flying a figure 8, manual landing
6) as others have said, be cautious, but not afraid. The equipment will do what you want it to. Take everything slow initially. Fly higher than you think you want to.

Have fun!

I have felt the same way every time I order a new DJI product, the Mavic Fly More I was very pleased with and excited to get hands on the package. Aside from the Phantoms, the most excited I have been is waiting to get my hands on a set of DJI Goggles. I have a few Racers by Eachine and got a couple of goggles to go with them, but owing to the fact that flying "racers" is far harder than any Phantom, I am still learning how to fly the racers, but that means I first need to be able to fly the racer before putting on the goggles and flying with the goggles. The goggles are a dream come true for those of us who began flying with the Phantom 2's. Hopefully they will be available real soon.

I will suggest that you follow JeffCharger's recommendations, he has written what I was thinking. The post above mine.

Had mine about a month now and was a little hesitant to begin with but the mavic manouvers like a dream. Only problem I've had recently is the interest drawn from birds flying close to my mavic. Enjoy

Use the map from the FAA to find out where you can fly at Recreational Users | Know Before You Fly

Follow the safety guidelines from the same website to keep YOU and our community out of trouble.

Use this forum for various check-lists members have done for preflighting, general setup etc...

Reactions: norida
Get to know your drone and all of its features, especially the ones that will help you in the event of an emergency. Fly in large open areas (OVER LAND) before going out over unrecoverable terrain like open water or cliffs. I say this because I was flying next to a guy who nearly lost his thousand dollar Mavic in salt water because he didn't (a) plan the flight properly to make sure he had enough battery to make it back to home (b) did not monitor the estimated flight timeline, especially the H-point that is your estimated point of no return, (c) did not use alternative options like ATTI mode or Sport mode to get him back faster, rather than relying on the slower RTH.

These things practically fly themselves but even then, know your drone like the back of your hand in the event you have to get yourself out of a bind.

Now that that's out of the way, HAVE FUN and enjoy the heck out of this thing. Its an incredible machine!

Reactions: Budmancan
Use the simulator mode to get used to the controls. Turn on MP and RC then the Go app. and then in the app the three bars top right then Academy then simulator. This will help with orientation.

Then make sure you are in a wide open area and just take it easy, it wont be long until its 2 K's away and your excited/worried until you can see it again at around 150m away.

Also learn in the simulator how to get the drone back to you without looking at the phone just the RC. Fly far away say 2000m then go forwards and backwards and monitor the distance from you, rotate the drone until the distance is decreasing and bring that baby home, WITHOUT RTH.

Beware - Height is both your friend and your enemy.

Reactions: Budmancan
It might be tempting to fly it inside but DON'T. You are way more likely to crash in the house

Reactions: tshizdude
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure