DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Lost! Failure to Return to Home

Well a small fraction of blame also belongs to the agressive marketing of the Drone companies (Yuneec, Parrot, Zerotech, Wingsland, GoPro, 3DR, ... and DJI) who emphasize that "every idiot" can fly a selfie drone everywhere, everytime. Many of the promotional vids are done in / over the city, close to crowds etc. PP.
(Reaper NOT calling you names, i am talking of the general impression a person gets who is not yet into RC hobbies. I have my share of stupid ideas executed on spot and luckily that only hurt myself & my cars improving my learning curve).
Combine that with the Youtubers like Casey whi gets away with EVERYTHING even earnng money with it.

That doesnt mean a keen thinker could not get his / hers own ideas when / where to fly but if you dont care too much you'll simply replicate what Marketing & YT wants you to "buy" and there you go.

Ender

Last edited:
Reactions: scooot and Romi
There's a reason why this is my first post. It took a lot of courage for me to open up and be completely honest about my indiscretion. Even knowing I was going to get torn up on here with all the vitriol....

Don't feel too bad as even VERY experienced pilots make dumb errors some times.
For example, an acquaintance of mine who was an airline captain used to fly his Cessna 172 from Miami to his home upstate and he always did it on the same tank of fuel because there was no fuel where he landed near his home and he always had sufficient fuel. Well...One day on the way back to Miami he ran out of fuel less than 1/4 mile short of the runway and paid the ultimate price. Turned out he had faced headwinds either outbound, inbound, or both and wasn't paying attention to the fuel gauge or the time as he was probably focused on his next airline flight. Luckily that day the wind was easterly and approach was over the Everglades or he might have killed people on the ground as there is a housing subdivision to the east of Tamiami Airport.

Here's my future forecast for this awesome piece of technology: Someone flies through downtown-anywhere into a high rise, it falls hundreds of feet and hurts or kills someone. Then we get to only fly in the rural countryside or RC flying parks. Not very photographic.
Yep! That's why I love living far from the city even though it is a pain when you need something from Home Depot and it takes half the day or longer to go get it.

Unfortunately, you can blame this mindset on the manipulation of public thought via media. It wasn't that long ago where a Phantom operator was charged after flying his bird over a downtown city at night. Media and police helicopters followed it. They charged the guy with something like "potentially creating a catastrophe" or something thing like that. People are generally very malleable (I'm being kind). When they see it on the boob tube - especially if "official government sources" say it - it becomes gospel.

That story sounds Ridiculous and unlikely to result in any significant punishment. When I read stories like that I want to know the outcome.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Reactions: grizzard
The OP has been blasted so many times by now - I think he has gotten the message. This is literally 'beating a dead horse'. He has repented, he has said he is sorry. What more do you want from him? To squeeze blood from a turnip?

This truly sounds like the parable:
9 Also He spoke this parable to some who trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and despised others: 10 “Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. 11 The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, ‘God, I thank You that I am not like other men—extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this tax collector. 12 I fast twice a week; I give tithes of all that I possess.’ 13 And the tax collector, standing afar off, would not so much as raise his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, ‘God, be merciful to me a sinner!’ 14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other; for everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted.” (Luke 18:9-14, NKJV)

To the OP: as someone who is looking forward to getting their Mavic Pro (sometime) and has been flying a P4 and a P3S - thank you for your story. While these are things that I (should) already know - it is very helpful to the community to see what sorts of things they might not be aware of when getting into the hobby. Glad to hear that you recovered your craft!

That story sounds Ridiculous and unlikely to result in any significant punishment. When I read stories like that I want to know the outcome.

Whether that drone operator actually faces consequences or not, at this point, is irrelevant. The message sent to the public was delivered loud and clear. The skies are no place for drones and anyone daring enough to challenge .gov supremacy will be shown no mercy. If 3 months later (and $10k in legal fees) all charges are dropped, the media will not report on it - and if they do, it'll be on page 21b, right next to the obituaries.

Whether that drone operator actually faces consequences or not, at this point, is irrelevant.
I don't agree at all with this statement. That is the fundamental theory behind laws and the reason for them. Actions have consequences. If they really don't have consequences then at some point they will have no impact.

The media can only do so much absent any proof.

I don't agree at all with this statement. That is the fundamental theory behind laws and the reason for them. Actions have consequences. If they really don't have consequences then at some point they will have no impact.

I'm not saying there shouldn't be any consequences. What I am saying is that there is a real push by .gov to stoke fear and angst in the public about drones. Whether it's fake news stories about drones seen at 10k feet (which later turn out to be trash bags or hot air balloons), the sensationalized reporting shows only the "drones are bad" aspect - and never the "oops, it wasn't a drone" or "nothing bad happened" aspect.

I'm not one to trust that the motivation behind regs (whether drones or otherwise) are altruistic and noble. More often than not, they are derived from ulterior motives which have little or nothing to do with their namesake. That is not to say reckless behavior shouldn't be punished - it should.

Well then you can feel free to follow his case because it did happen very recently & it made news not just locally (I happen to be local but I've seen it reported on national news).

Dude flew a phantom over a protest, manned copters watching the same protest noticed and followed it to its landing/owner. I certainly wouldn't be looking forward to the checks I'd have to write to keep my anu$ out of the clink in that situation.

http://philadelphianewsinfo.com/man-accused-of-flying-drone-above-anti-*****-protest/

I real push by .gov to stoke fear and angst in the public about drones. .
Full disclosure... I am .gov

There really is little discussion about drones.

Well then you can feel free to follow his case because it did happen very recently & it made news not just locally (I happen to be local but I've seen it reported on national news).

Dude flew a phantom over a protest, manned copters watching the same protest noticed and followed it to its landing/owner. I certainly wouldn't be looking forward to the checks I'd have to write to keep my anu$ out of the clink in that situation.

http://philadelphianewsinfo.com/man-accused-of-flying-drone-above-anti-*****-protest/

I'll wait to actually see what actually happens.

For clarification... I'm not saying people that do egregious things won't be punished. They will be..I am saying that most violations are minor and the quick-draw the cops are coming mentality because someone failed to follow the rules is BS.

I did not read EVRY comment on this thread, maybe it's been said already... but I would surmise that it DID go into return to home, but hit critical low battery and initiated a landing... that's my guess.

Me, I would not fly that far away... at night... on a "new" machine. I always leave the track logger ON.... if he did I would draw a straight line between the last known position and home... and search in between... with my buddies 'copter :rolleyes:

Can i ask 2 things number one am I right in thinking that a higher RTH setting would of saved you and can mssinger make a video on how he works his magic and offer advice on best RTH settings I'd even pay for this . I'm going to be a Virgin drone flyer soon . On a side note I have read that sun and some strange things can effect the sensors but if it did get false information what would happen , as a complete novice I would assume it would just return to home . I'm so pleased you got your drone back maybe tape a gopro on to mavic till you can send it for repairs

Reactions: D95GAS
I can't speak for msinger, but on the most recent lost drone in NV, I figured out a big part of it - or at least what works for me.

If you lose your bird, you have to obtain the flight record. That is a txt file that is located on the phone under the DJI app directory (you have to use a file manager on your phone to get to it). Then you upload it to www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/. Once it's processed, the first link on the results page is a KML file you can download. Open that with Google Earth, and it will provide a 3D flight path/line over the terrain. Then it's just a matter of zooming in, panning, turning and tilting, until you see where the line stops, and what it's closest to.

Keep in mind that the txt file only contains data from the last moment the RC and MP were in contact - so if it is a true fly-away, the endpoint on the path will likely be useless. But, if the loss of signal occurred due to an obstruction like a building or hill/tree/tower, etc, then it's possible to estimate what happened in the seconds after the loss.

Maybe I missed something. Why were the forward vision sensors turned off when in RTH?

UPDATE:

I have recovered my drone. With the help of member msinger AKA MavicHelp who was able to analyze my flight log and point me in the direction where the bird went down I was able to return to the scene and speak with the building management about the incident. I was honest about my mistake and described what happened. I was fully expecting them to be angry but surprisingly they were not. They were very understanding and cooperative. The security agent went onto the roof of the west wing (the building has the high rise tower in the middle with two four story wings on both sides) and there it was, right in the area msinger indicated it would be. Next to the air conditioner. Which, by the way was in the area that my friend and I covered in his drone but he did not think to go that far north or get close enough. Upon reviewing his video we did see it, but being so far away did not recognize it for what it was, tiny as the Mavic already is.

On the first search the security found the aircraft body and battery laying a few feet apart but the camera was missing. She went up an hour later on and found the tiny camera under the rooftop air conditioning unit and called me back to let me know she had it. Upon thanking her profusely and offering a reward which she graciously declined I was beyond stoked.

Now onto the good: the Mavic flies! Two props were broken at the tips but after replacing them the Mavic took to the skies without a beat. This thing loves to fly. Full functions, telemetry, altitude, speed, LED beacons, GPS, flight data all works as it should. Full range of movement. Arms are just fine. It folds and unfolds just like it did out of the box. The thing is built well. It did take an impact to the nose towards the starboard obstacle sensor and has a nasty scratch there. The top front cover is cracked near that spot. Starboard side front arm has a slight scuff near the red navigation light. Starboard rear arm has some very very slight scuffing to the bottom of it. Other than that, the rest of the body is absolutely flawless. Port side arms unaffected, heat sink on the bottom is mint. Maybe with the ability of the arms to fold allows it that much more "give" in a collision which could mean the difference broken an intact arm or a broken one.

The bad: Battery is destroyed. Like totally wasted. It looks like a twisted lump of plastic. It took a huge beating in the crash and got ejected. I can't imagine the foot pounds of energy that rippled through it during the sudden deceleration. The camera / gimbal mount has been detached from the aircraft body. The assembly looks like it might be fine, but the ribbon / connector has been torn. See the attached pictures.

Here's what happened: My Mavic lost RC connection as it flew around the building in question. It went into failsafe RTH. Without any way of getting input from me it initiated RTH and swung itself around and climbed from 252 feet to 90 meters (295 feet) which was the predetermined RTH altitude. As forward vision sensors were turned OFF at the time it did not engage them on the RTH. It dutifully made a beeline back to the home point before flying smack dab into the northwest/west side of the building. It fell about 250 feet to the rooftop of the west wing below. Member msinger went through my flight data and informed me of this and the recovered video from the drone collaborates with his information. He showed me a detailed satellite picture and highlighted the area where it went down. Thanks msinger! If you guys ever need help with located a downed drone please make him your go-to guy! He rocks!

I am going to work with DJI on repairing my drone as it appear that it does not have user serviceable parts at this time. I will keep you updated with the repair progress. Thank you to the members who offered support and especially to the one who offered me detailed help. It made a difference in being able to recover my Mavic and begin the repair process. Both of the Mavic and of my humility and bruised ego. I will most definitely fly smarter from now on.

Lost my Mavic on 3-1. I always fly in this area over the river. On this day I took the 1st battery for a mile run then switched to a fresh battery. After doing fly around I did a fly away shot while gaining altitude noticed she was drifting to my left. Took off with GPS and plenty satellite. When i decided to return she was 1/4mile over water and not responding. After precious battery life what seemed forever. I hit the rth button .RC was beeping but dont recall if sad going home and from the looks of it the numbers wasn't getting closer. While she just hovered in one spot she didn't respond until it hit the critical battery warning. Seconds later she was LANDING. All I could do was go up and forward on the sticks making a Bline to shore doing so I stopped recording to save battery. From the tablet visual she landed right on the wet rocks about 10 blocks away I tracked it standing in the very same spot according to maps. But never found it The location is very secluded. Highly unlikely someone seen it crashed and picked it up before I got there. Im thinking it went in the water 5 feet from where i stood because camera make things seem closer than they really are.
LOST Mavic.png This is a river where you have current BUT on this record breaking temp day with just a slight breeze and low/slack tide and muddy bottom .I drove home to return with waders and a rake. I called DJI file a claim sent them all the info. Now awaiting DJI decision. I would like to know what was you outcome with them. Heres a pic of my flight log.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent