DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic lost in the sea due to auto landing.

Should have came back low. The higher the faster wind gets... Anyways sorry for your loss.

First, you can cancel RTH. There are 2 ways that come to mind: the phone's touch screen left edge shows a red X for cancel after it has started RTH, and the Flight Mode button (Sport button) on the right side of the controller can be toggled once, or twice if you need to return to the prior mode.
One last thought about RTH. I am not sure if RTH will drop out of Sport mode, into P mode, but I suspect it does. This could be disastrous in your case (maybe one of your biggest factors). Also if you check the GO 4 App setting "Visual Navigation Settings / Advanced Settings / RTH Obstacle Check", this setting implies that with RTH it will be enabling sensors which in my understanding requires P mode. This is one more reason that RTH should have been canceled in your instance.

You can also cancel RTH by hitting the RTH button, or the Pause button.

Regarding Sport mode and Obstacle Avoidance:

1. I know that the Mavic used to perform the RTH in Sport mode if that was the mode it was in when RTH was initiated. However, I've seen some conflicting user reports about this in more recent firmwares. I'm not sure if DJI changed this. It might now be related to the OA, as in my 2nd point...

2. In recent firmwares, DJI added the setting you mentioned, which allows us to enable/disable OA during RTH, regardless of whether you have OA enabled for normal flight. This new setting may affect whether or not the Mavic will RTH in Sport mode. ie. If RTH OA is enabled, then maybe the Mavic now automatically switches to P mode even if it was in Sport mode. But if RTH OA is disabled, that might allow the Mavic to RTH in Sport mode.

Hopefully somebody can confirm these. I'll test this myself, but it'll be several days before I can do so.

Last edited:
Sorry for your loss. It would be great if Mavic was waterproof and floated. Some have posted the link to the Getter-back fishing floatation rig as a way to retrieve it for a $15 investment . Probably good if you fly over water a lot just for Care Refresh and a dripping rusty Mavic. It's kinda funny and sad at the same time thinking about a little float ejecting from the bird sitting on the floor of the ocean. It would also be wonderful if GPS or radios worked underwater. Divers and Subs would love that but unfortunately RF doesn't transmit underwater.

Getterback Website-
Home

My comment was in response to the YouTube video someone posted, not the OP. I believe the OP hasn't posted his flight log yet for us to look at. Besides, the video shows the wind was being misread and that an extra reserve wasn't factored in for the return trip, where as the OP says his did a forced auto landing.
my post was just a joke. for you. for free ;)

Reactions: John Svendsen
Another Canadian Drone down
Sorry for your loss E92Vancouver
RIP Dolores

One additional tip: Casey in one of his videos, ended up with his Mavic in NY harbor. His contact with DJI engineers revealed that as long as the battery has any power, it will transmit a GPS coordinate to your controller, even underwater! This is the image in the lower left of your screen. Thus until it stopped transmitting, you might have been able to identify controller position vs drone position from the kayak even if current was moving it.

I've never heard of this being possible.

Tough loss. Thanks for posting, as a reminder to others, myself included.

The wind in your area ramps up quickly. In socal, it is generally a gradual increase, and the weather is more predictable.

Hope you can get a new one soon on the refresh.

I've never heard of this being possible.

Once it hits the water all signals will stop. The map just holds the last position where it had signal.

Rob

It's possible the wind was blocked by existing buildings behind him and at a certain distance south the winds return over the buildings. Same theory as the dangers of flying over mountains and wind. The wind once it passes the top of a structure creates turbulence. It makes sense to me that the wind was poor at a mile out to sea

We had really high winds today in Atlanta. My mavic at one point was drifting in an alarmingly fast manner and at one point I was unable to fly into the wind until I switched to Sport Mode. I had switch into the mode twice today....

That old chestnut again. tack it like a yacht hey? Seriously!

Bad luck about the drone @E92Vancouver you came close to getting away with it.

I was attempting something like the zig zag move today during high winds. Was mostly trying to go perpendicular to the wind....does this work? I guess when you run out of options anything is worth a try.

Flying over water is always a risk. I would recommend the getterback recovery system or whatever similar. Sorry for your loss.

RIP "Dolores" I was thinking... maybe if you were not alone somebody could swim to where the drone was landing, there about like 250 meters into the sea... but maybe the sharks...

2.4GHz signals are completely absorbed by sweet water already in a depth of just 10cm and even less in salt water. So no chance for a submerged but still funtioning Mavic to transmit its co-ordinates any longer.

By the way, I did a few tests with RTH mode yesterday and found out that you can overrule the RTH parameters via the sticks. E.g. with the throttle stick you can increase or decrease the RTH altitude. With the yaw stick you can turn the Mavic (but not change its flight direction to home point).
With the pitch stick you can increase or decrease RTH speed. The roll stick seems to be without function.

Reactions: Odinbear
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DJIMavic3cine