DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini 2 signal strength

m3sgal

Reactions
Hi,

For those who own the Mini 2 (and maybe had the previous one), is there is a huge improvement in term of signal strength?

I don't really care about how further away it can go, as I don't see the point of flying it more than 1000m. What I do care about is how stable the transmission is, especially in situations where there is interference. With the original Mini, while I could fly it an acceptable distance in direct line, I found it difficult to use it to do cinematic shots (like moving around a POI). I would sometimes get choppy video stream which prevents me from completing the shot properly.

Thank you

Yeah. Way better. I no longer lose FPV feed when the drone is 20-100 feet away. I no longer have choppy feed in residential areas. It’s less noticeable away from WiFi interference, but in my neighborhood it’s a night and day difference.

Exactly as it should be. My Air 2 is the same way. Rock solid, while my Mini 1 can lose signal just dozens of feet from me.

@m3sgal the very fact that it has Occusync 2 is the most important update ,(my opinion) once you have flown a drone with the Occusync system ,you are hooked for life ,the fact that my MM does not have it, is not really an issue for me as i only use it for close up flying ,and to be honest have never lost signal ,

I have seen videos where person got 5km out and transmission was still stable with clear video.

Reactions: m3sgal
I have seen videos where person got 5km out and transmission was still stable with clear video.
However getting far in direct line is not always indicative. I was able to reach above 1km in direct line (which is more than I need). But as soon as I moved around POI, even within 300 meters range, I get jittery feed and lose signal occasionally.

Video has some occasional lag when the Mini 2 is close, I’ve had it already and there are a number of complaints on DJI forum... I’m sure they’ll fix it moving forward. I did try a range test and turned it around at 3000m, I normally only fly VLOS but wanted confidence as I’ve never owned a a Ocusync drone before, ignoring the minor glitch I’m very impressed with the Mini 2 and it now has rigid front arms OMM (no more old credit cards glued to the arms ?).

Video has some occasional lag when the Mini 2 is close, I’ve had it already and there are a number of complaints on DJI forum... I’m sure they’ll fix it moving forward. I did try a range test and turned it around at 3000m, I normally only fly VLOS but wanted confidence as I’ve never owned a a Ocusync drone before, ignoring the minor glitch I’m very impressed with the Mini 2 and it now has rigid front arms OMM (no more old credit cards glued to the arms ?).
i know but i have to admit it did work ,no prop strikes since i fitted them ,and nice to see DJI took note of my fix ThumbswayupThumbswayupThumbswayupThumbswayupThumbswayupThumbswayupThumbswayupThumbswayupThumbswayupThumbswayupThumbswayupThumbswayup

Reactions: TDZHDTV
Hi,

For those who own the Mini 2 (and maybe had the previous one), is there is a huge improvement in term of signal strength?

I don't really care about how further away it can go, as I don't see the point of flying it more than 1000m. What I do care about is how stable the transmission is, especially in situations where there is interference. With the original Mini, while I could fly it an acceptable distance in direct line, I found it difficult to use it to do cinematic shots (like moving around a POI). I would sometimes get choppy video stream which prevents me from completing the shot properly.

Thank you

Big difference, huge, 50% better at the list. I'm on vacation so I can't really compare to my regular routes, but I'm sure my MM1 would not be able to do it without some signal boosters or better antennas.

today I flew from here:

DJI_0829-1.JPG

to here, nothing is zoomed that is the actual size of the photo (resized for web)

DJI_0856-1.JPG

And I had 30% battery left when landed. I didn't get any signal related message even once, I was very surprised.

Sold the MM and got the M2 in the same day and flew around my home and parks the past 3 days. The reception is night and day.

In heavy WiFi areas things could be sketchy immediately and in parks and open areas I would have drops and confidence-injuring lag within 1500m?

Occusync on the M2 essentially has erased the differences with wifi areas it seems and the reception is crystal easily within 2000m (likely further)

No comparison imo.

Reactions: m3sgal
Yes, I own both. The Mini 2's OcuSync is amazing. I flew it out today and not a single dropout and overall the increased signal strength just gave me more confidence when flying the drone. Whereas with my mini, it would lag all the time. I don't typically fly far, but I live in a high interference area, so I can notice signal loss at like 300M.

I'm the OP, and can confirm it definitely has a more stable signal when compared to the original MM. I received it yesterday, and did a quick test today. Will have to do more testing. Thank you everyone

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bahamaboy242