DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic mini 2 weight, props, batteries aerodynamics - details that noone is talking about

PaulDoneDrone

Reactions
Just got my Mavic mini 2 and weighted few things.

Mavic mini 2 props feel stronger and sturdier, Mavic mini old props are 0.500g and Mavic mini 2 props weight is 0.635g I weighted 4 different props and I must say I'm surprised and impressed how precise they are all with the difference of 0.135g (calibrated micro g scale)

Mavic mini 2 battery is 80g so 20g lighter than MM1.

The drone itself: Mavic mini 2 weight - 153g and MM1 - 149g , seems like MM2 is 4g heavier from old MM (over 0.5g are props, the rest are internals)

Mavic Mini 2 weight with battery ready to fly 238g (no SD card)

it seems like 1min longer flight is due to Mavic Mini 2 battery being much lighter, despite lower capacity battery.

When I touch Mavic mini 2 battery it feels there is a space for "more battery" in the future, I feel hollow space: I will make the first prediction Mavic Mini 3: it will have 34min of flight once they add more battery, I'm sure they could do that now but it would cut into Mavic Air 2 way to close.

front arm "fillers" are sturdier, made of plastic, not some flexible foam crap. Front arms are not as flexible as with Mavic mini 1. Front antennas also do not have any flex. big improvement, they now feel how they should feel with MM1.

Rear motors are 1mm lower from MM1 but props are at the same ground level.

Rear legs at the pivot are made more aerodynamic, but I'm still surprised they didn't improve it even more, those little guys are literally flying bricks, it feels like aerodynamics are the least of DJI worries, having said that: cutting off that negative angle of attack by the pivot will surely make difference at higher speeds against the wind.

Front "mysterious" black plugs are not plugs anymore, they are now vents, they are perforated.

The bag sucks, way too big, bigger than Mavic pro bag, you could pack food for a week-long hike, almost..., the remote is absolutely ridiculous and heavy, I can bearly hold that thing in my hands without sweating, it will be a workout to fly this drone for a longer time ;) I would love DJI use the same old remote, so much easier to put in your pocket, new remote will not fit in any pocket, plus it must have some crazy amount of batteries inside.

The battery charger/cradle feels quite a bit cheaper than the old MM1 charger, feels flimsy, just doesn't feel good, but it works and charges the batteries. max input 12v3A vs 12v2A , limited by the adapter output 9V2A same as in MM1, anyone knows where I can get 12v 3A USB adapter?

This is just what I was able to spot after 15 min inspection. I wish youtube stars would put some more effort into their generic reviews.

I Will fly this little guy tomorrow and try to report on how it handles. The drone seems better and improved, everything else that comes with it, not so much, (box is smaller)

price in Canada (fly more combo) $750 ouch vs $599 add 13% tax on top and refresh is 10-15$ more. with DJI refresh and tax it was $930 vs $740 MM1. Almost $200 more and you don't get prop guards, apparently, batteries will be also more expensive from MM1 batteries.

Let me know if you want me to check something.

Just got my Mavic mini 2 and weighted few things.

Mavic mini 2 props feel stronger and sturdier, Mavic mini old props are 0.500g and Mavic mini 2 props weight is 0.635g I weighted 4 different props and I must say I'm surprised and impressed how precise they are all with the difference of 0.135g (calibrated micro g scale)

Mavic mini 2 battery is 80g so 20g lighter than MM1.

The drone itself: Mavic mini 2 weight - 153g and MM1 - 149g , seems like MM2 is 4g heavier from old MM (over 0.5g are props, the rest are internals)

Mavic Mini 2 weight with battery ready to fly 238g (no SD card)

it seems like 1min longer flight is due to Mavic Mini 2 battery being much lighter, despite lower capacity battery.

When I touch Mavic mini 2 battery it feels there is a space for "more battery" in the future, I feel hollow space: I will make the first prediction Mavic Mini 3: it will have 34min of flight once they add more battery, I'm sure they could do that now but it would cut into Mavic Air 2 way to close.

front arm "fillers" are sturdier, made of plastic, not some flexible foam crap. Front arms are not as flexible as with Mavic mini 1. Front antennas also do not have any flex. big improvement, they now feel how they should feel with MM1.

Rear motors are 1mm lower from MM1 but props are at the same ground level.

Rear legs at the pivot are made more aerodynamic, but I'm still surprised they didn't improve it even more, those little guys are literally flying bricks, it feels like aerodynamics are the least of DJI worries, having said that: cutting off that negative angle of attack by the pivot will surely make difference at higher speeds against the wind.

Front "mysterious" black plugs are not plugs anymore, they are now vents, they are perforated.

The bag sucks, way too big, bigger than Mavic pro bag, you could pack food for a week-long hike, almost..., the remote is absolutely ridiculous and heavy, I can bearly hold that thing in my hands without sweating, it will be a workout to fly this drone for a longer time ;) I would love DJI use the same old remote, so much easier to put in your pocket, new remote will not fit in any pocket, plus it must have some crazy amount of batteries inside.

The battery charger/cradle feels quite a bit cheaper than the old MM1 charger, feels flimsy, just doesn't feel good, but it works and charges the batteries. max input 12v3A vs 12v2A , limited by the adapter output 9V2A same as in MM1, anyone knows where I can get 12v 3A USB adapter?

This is just what I was able to spot after 15 min inspection. I wish youtube stars would put some more effort into their generic reviews.

I Will fly this little guy tomorrow and try to report on how it handles. The drone seems better and improved, everything else that comes with it, not so much, (box is smaller)

price in Canada (fly more combo) $750 ouch vs $599 add 13% tax on top and refresh is 10-15$ more. with DJI refresh and tax it was $930 vs $740 MM1. Almost $200 more and you don't get prop guards, apparently, batteries will be also more expensive from MM1 batteries.

Let me know if you want me to check something.
15 dollars for refresh?

The RC feels like the same size and weight as the Mavic Air 2 to me.
While I agree it seems to be a bigger bulkier remote, I much prefer to have my phone above the controller than in the way of my hands underneath.
Also having bigger battery usb c and ocusync are big pros making charging easier and less often

Reactions: DJayI and raymairjr
Great first blush review, Paul. My question has two parts: 1) Can you use Mavic Mini 1 battery in the MM2? 2) If one had charge adapters for the MM1 batteries, could they be used on the MM2, even if you couldn't use the MM1 battery in the MM2? I love the inexpensive standalone chargers ($12) that can plug into any USB charging block. I'd love to keep using the chargers even if I can't use the battery. If I can sell my Mini1 I'd be up for upgrading to the Mini2 for those times when shlepping the M2P isn't convenient. MiniBattery_Charger.jpg

I wonder if DJI is going to lower the price of the Mavic Mini? I would love to sell my Mavic Mini and three batteries. So far I really like the Mini 2. I haven’t had a chance to try the fast download yet. Has DJI mentioned what speed memory card is recommended?

New batteries are liPo smart batteries instead of lithium ion. They are lighter but .5V higher output and despite the mAh being slightly lower the actual Wh is higher so that’s why more power and extra minute of flight time.
The old batteries fit, but I am sure the battery meter will show incorrectly if you use them.

M2 is way faster, and it really does handle the wind. I flew it today in so much wind you couldn’t keep a hat on your head. It was a champ! I love it.

Nice review, thank you! What I would be interested in addition:

-can you charge the mini 2 with a normal powerbank like it was possible with the mini 1?
-how's the comparison in noise between mini and mini 2? (maybe include air 2 in your personal comparison)
-do you think the fly more is worth it, or would you recommend to buy the single Drone + one separate battery? The bag already for the MA2 was kind of useless..

Thank you in advance

Great first blush review, Paul. My question has two parts: 1) Can you use Mavic Mini 1 battery in the MM2? 2) If one had charge adapters for the MM1 batteries, could they be used on the MM2, even if you couldn't use the MM1 battery in the MM2? I love the inexpensive standalone chargers ($12) that can plug into any USB charging block. I'd love to keep using the chargers even if I can't use the battery. If I can sell my Mini1 I'd be up for upgrading to the Mini2 for those times when shlepping the M2P isn't convenient.

MM1 battery can be used and works fine with MM2, old battery is heavier so I'm sure you will get less flight time, but it can be used and MM starts with MM1 batteries. Will check flight times tomorrow.

As to chargers, I have an aftermarket fast charger for MM1 batteries and the battery for MM2 fits perfectly in it, but I didn't try to charge it just yet:) Since it is a fast charger I wanted to charge all batts slowly with the supplied charger to extend the life. Having said that I do not see why MM1 aftermarket chargers would not charge MM2 batteries, MM2 batteries have higher voltage so it should be safe, I think we would need experts to weigh in. The new charge hub has a different shape so old batteries do not fit :(

I wonder if DJI is going to lower the price of the Mavic Mini? I would love to sell my Mavic Mini and three batteries. So far I really like the Mini 2. I haven’t had a chance to try the fast download yet. Has DJI mentioned what speed memory card is recommended?

I use SanDisk extreme, any card capable of 100mbit should do.

Nice review, thank you! What I would be interested in addition:

-can you charge the mini 2 with a normal powerbank like it was possible with the mini 1?
-how's the comparison in noise between mini and mini 2? (maybe include air 2 in your personal comparison)
-do you think the fly more is worth it, or would you recommend to buy the single Drone + one separate battery? The bag already for the MA2 was kind of useless..

Thank you in advance

The new battery will not fit in the old power bank:( but old battery will fit and can be charged with the new power bank.
will measure the noise tomorrow, props are much stronger and less flexible

Fly more combo dilemma, in this case, I do not think it is a good deal (as in the case on MM1) especailly if you own MM1, I was going to buy just a drone plus 2 extra batteries since I have a fast charger, but apparently, they didn't have spare batteries...wait time for batteries is about 1-1.5 I didn't want to be stuck with a single battery and got fly more combo. At the time I didn't know MM2 would fly on old batteries if I knew I would 100% just buy a drone. At the store, they told me old batteries will not fit... liers.

Reactions: MTM
The new battery will not fit in the old power bank:( but old battery will fit and can be charged with the new power bank.
will measure the noise tomorrow, props are much stronger and less flexible

Fly more combo dilemma, in this case, I do not think it is a good deal (as in the case on MM1) especailly if you own MM1, I was going to buy just a drone plus 2 extra batteries since I have a fast charger, but apparently, they didn't have spare batteries...wait time for batteries is about 1-1.5 I didn't want to be stuck with a single battery and got fly more combo. At the time I didn't know MM2 would fly on old batteries if I knew I would 100% just buy a drone. At the store, they told me old batteries will not fit... liers.

Thanks so much for your quick reply!
With charging over powerbank I mean portable chargers - so you can charge the mini over the USB - c inlet of the Drone when you are remote and have no possibility to plug it to the normal grid. I was often camping with the mini and let it charge the batteries over night in my tent. :)

Reactions: PaulDoneDrone
MM1 battery can be used and works fine with MM2, old battery is heavier so I'm sure you will get less flight time, but it can be used and MM starts with MM1 batteries. Will check flight times tomorrow.

As to chargers, I have an aftermarket fast charger for MM1 batteries and the battery for MM2 fits perfectly in it, but I didn't try to charge it just yet:) Since it is a fast charger I wanted to charge all batts slowly with the supplied charger to extend the life. Having said that I do not see why MM1 aftermarket chargers would not charge MM2 batteries, MM2 batteries have higher voltage so it should be safe, I think we would need experts to weigh in. The new charge hub has a different shape so old batteries do not fit :(
Thanks. I don't think charging should be a problem. You could always get one of these Kweisi devices (pictured below) to measure the voltage and mah's going to your batteries. I got one off of ebay for $7 (I think). In the meantime, I love having a couple of these charging adapters. $13 easy and plug into any 5v wall brick. While the DJI 3-bank charger is convenient for storage, it's not so convenient for quick charging multiple batteries at once. With two of these (see photo below and in earlier reply) I can charge my batteries simultaneously and be fully up and running with all my batteries from completely drained- in 80 minutes. The picture makes it look bigger than it is. It's small and can easily be packed along with the mini for travel. I am so glad I took a chance with them. While I really like my Mini1, if I can sell it I could see upgrading to the Mini2 as the 4k video, now that I (almost) kinow what I'm doing, is important to me (though the M2P covers that in most cases). I'd be ok going another $150 for the upgrade.

1604645498935.pngKweisi.JPG

Reactions: PaulDoneDrone
I'm surprised and impressed how precise they are all with the difference of 0.135g (calibrated micro g scale)
Is the 0.135g the difference between individual MM2 blades or the difference between MM'1' blades and MM2 blades?
Good review, much better that an "everything is beautiful" one.

Thanks so much for your quick reply!
With charging over powerbank I mean portable chargers - so you can charge the mini over the USB - c inlet of the Drone when you are remote and have no possibility to plug it to the normal grid. I was often camping with the mini and let it charge the batteries over night in my tent. :)

it does work I'm just doing it as we speak, charging from the power bank.

Reactions: MTM

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thefons82