DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini batteries - this could get expensive!!

flynsign

Reactions
I've already ordered a replacement set of MM batteries as mine have really degraded over a course of only 12 flights. I was getting 27.5 minutes when new, but now they are averaging around 22.75 minutes all flights being equal in no wind and landing before it lands on its own of course so as to not stress the batteries. This after only 12 flights or so!! Anyone else seeing this?

Not aware of that but maybe that is the reason of the fly more combo deal.

If someone wants to crack one open we can figure out what cells are in there... then upgrade them to some ~3400 mAh cells. It would be overweight then though..

Lithium Ions in the MM are not nearly as robust as lithium polymer’s But they were necessary to keep the weight down.

Lithium Ions in the MM are not nearly as robust as lithium polymer’s But they were necessary to keep the weight down.
Not sure if I agree, they would likely be heavier with the solid metal casing but they are more energy dense I suppose. They are generally good for 80% original capacity after about 300 cycles.

What was the outside temperature of your first long flight vs. The last one that sucked. The ambient temp has a big effect on the 18650's generally.

Somehow I believe other factors than battery degradation caused the decrease in observed flight time. It's like MPG on a car. You can get different results on seemingly identical driving conditions. But your replacement battery should tell you.

There's a whole topic on modifying battery capacity, including supplement power in parallel with stock.

Li-Ion batteries seem to be a little more tolerant of use conditions than LiPos which would make degradation in such short time unlikely.

Have a look in the battery mod thread...

Not as easy as you think apparently.

Reactions: DDS
Did you have a link? I am keen to see what manufacturer they are and look up the datasheet on secondlifestorage.com

you need at list 20A 18650 biggest you can find are 3000mAh, Also I think you can't upgrade firmware on them or you will brick them.

My batts hold very well, stats below, I'm in Canada so cold conditions we had 5C one day it was warmest day, the rest all 0C and -5C

1575512695667.png
1575512710538.png
1575512725516.png

Not sure if I agree, they would likely be heavier with the solid metal casing but they are more energy dense I suppose. They are generally good for 80% original capacity after about 300 cycles.

What was the outside temperature of your first long flight vs. The last one that sucked. The ambient temp has a big effect on the 18650's generally.

72 degrees (inside home, hovering)

My MM battery has a battery cell error after V.0300 firmware update. I did not even have a chance to fly using this battery. Maybe bad quality batteries? This is worst than degradation.

99% of the Time battery’s are not in use. Since these don’t have an automatic discharge function you should keep them stored not fully charged because it lowers the power storage capacity. And this is often the main reason why people are getting lower lifespan with their battery’s. Same applies also to notebooks when being charged all the time and other gadgets.

I store them at about 60-80%. The number of cycles is more or less irrelevant since you will not do more than 300 or more flights on each battery;)

Cheers
Alexander
(Munich)

I've already ordered a replacement set of MM batteries as mine have really degraded over a course of only 12 flights. I was getting 27.5 minutes when new, but now they are averaging around 22.75 minutes all flights being equal in no wind and landing before it lands on its own of course so as to not stress the batteries. This after only 12 flights or so!! Anyone else seeing this?

27.5 minutes suggests you are running them past 20%
Although you can go lower than 20% (1% for the gutsy) it is recommended for battery health to run down to 20% only.

Unless you had a device attached to it to measure wind you can't really quantify if the conditions are the same everytime. WInd changes dramatically as you go up. 12 flights, using 3 batteries means 4 flights each? I can't believe they'd have degraded by a 1/5 in a few charge cycles even if they were cheap!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjauuu