DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic mini controller keeps charging my android phone.

Android devices always draw a little less than 450 mA. See post 16 above.

Yes you are right, but the problem mostly that the phone is overheating and I dont know is it because charging while being used or thats because of the processing goind on while connected to the comtroller/drone. I tries 3 different phones with same overheating problem , Samsung S9 , S20 and Huawei Mate 10 pro.

From what I have found it imay be a requirement of the USB/Android specification/rules that the host/controller must pass a current to the phone, if this is correct it may well be that DJI were/are compelled to set the connection up this way. I recollect that I saw that the USB/IOS connection is not governed by the same rules.
I have just ordered a couple of different splitter cables to try CareyL's solution

From what I have found it imay be a requirement of the USB/Android specification/rules that the host/controller must pass a current to the phone, if this is correct it may well be that DJI were/are compelled to set the connection up this way. I recollect that I saw that the USB/IOS connection is not governed by the same rules.
I have just ordered a couple of different splitter cables to try CareyL's solution
Part of that is correct, android must have a current through USB cable if connected, but for example if I connect my phone to a labtop I can choose to stop the Charging option from my android USB setting, and it will work as a mass storage and stop charging. But in the controller connection, disabling the charging option on the phone is not possible, and it force the phone to draw current from the controller. I think JDI could do something regarding that, maybe a new cable that transfer data to the phone but not charge, or maybe a software update , who knows

Thanks Ali.
Is an implication of what you have written that for the charging current to be switched off the device must be capable of functioning as a 'mass storage device' when the charging current is off or am I reading too much into that? "Mass storage device" is a term I normally see in connection with an external hard drive connected to my laptop.
Am I correct in assuming that when connected to the controller an Android phone is acting as either, something over and above a 'mass storage device', or, that it does not act as a 'mass storage device'.? Unfortunately, although I know some Android devices allow switching the USB charging current off, I have yet to see ssee the option on any of my Android devices.

On some android phones after you connect cable swipe screen from top down to see detected device and click on it. You can choose tile transfer only. It will still charge but super slow.
It worked on older android phone but not on my samsung s9.
I always charge remote and phone to 100% before flying

Aha im not the only one good to know! I have the samsung s7 myself. Tomorow im gonna try to disable fast charging on my phone see if it adds more time.
I have the S8 and after 15 minutes of flt I was down to two bars. I realized that I only had about 60% charge on my phone. Since then, I fully charge my phone before flying, and I have flown at least 1.5 hours, with 3 bars left on my rc.

I use an old OnePlus 5 to fly my Mini. Part of my checklist before setting off is to make sure the phone is fully charged. It still charges when connected but being full, the drain seems to be less and I've flown 2 full sets of 3 batteries workout having to charge the controller.

It's not a basic solution, but I did a simple experiment. What if wireless charging is connected at the same time when the controller and the Android phone are connected?
Will there be a difference between high-speed wireless charging and general wireless charging?
The answer is wireless charging comes first. When the wired charging is a high-speed charging, the wired charging takes precedence, but the wireless charging takes precedence over the USB cable charging of the Mavic Mini controller. (There was no difference whether wireless charging was fast or not.)

In other words, if you attach the battery-powered wireless charging pad to the Android phone connected to the remote controller, it is assumed that the power of the controller will last for a longer time.

Just a thought, has anyone experimented with the usb settings under the developer options? I think the developer options give you a little more control of the phone/tablet than the standard drop down menu does when you plug something into it. I am away from home now so I am unable to check this for myself.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkyTechDji