DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini crash/flyaway wild guess...

• Thread starter Deleted member 109934
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 109934

I think in many cases, where wind/GPS/battery power/compass/home point was not an issue. We might be dealing with two potential problems when analyzing crashes, I have seen a repeated pattern of rear motor issues.

1.busted/broken/abused rear props. MM props are flimsy; it is so easy to damage them when placing drone in the pocket or even when unfolding rear arms and props get stuck against opposite arm props. It happened to me a few times, and each time I was carefully inspecting if I damaged them. If someone does that constantly without realization, it might lead to the prop screw damage. When placing drone in the cover with props folded the wrong way, it will excessively bend them and, depending on circumstances, might damage them. Unfolding MM arms is the most crucial procedure, and most likely, prop damage happens during that time.

2. Dirt/dust/particles are getting inside the motors. MM motors are exposed. I found myself placing MM in my jacket pocket (I do have a dedicated case now) there are always dust bunnies and all kinds of things at the bottom of a jacket pocket, those small debris could be getting inside the motor and causing a crash at one point.

Lately, I felt confident about flying in a strong winds, to the point I was intentionally waiting for a windy day to check how far I can push it. After one of those days, I started getting IMU errors I guess MM got banged up in the wind too much after calibration returned to normal. I managed to fly on the day where I'm pretty sure most people would stay home, Sport mode full stick forward and MM was only going 10km/h. Other day I went out about 600m out, Sport mode back, and MM is standing and not moving, I was a bit concerned, I had to change the angle and alt and slowly started to come back, if I would have press RTH it would be game over.
I do calibration every time I see IMU error, I do see it around every 10 hours of flight. I bought a separate case to make sure props are not touching anything when the drone is in it. Also, placing MM on top of the roof of the car instantly triggers a compass calibration request. How many people didn't see that message, and is putting drone on top of the car?
I'm not saying MM is a good drone to fly in high winds; quite the opposite it sucks big time, but I will speculate and take a guess most of the recent incidents are user problems, not the drone.

Sport Mode full stick forward ... no go, but it didn't fly away, was far from it.

1580012742581.png

You make a good case for a full size case that doesn't require you to fold it up.

Car top not a problem for me even though I never do that. The top is all glass on my T/A ;-)

Reactions: Frankeh
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J S