DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini Cruise Ship

Tcmkenny

Reactions
Hi everyone.

I am curious if people are taking drones on cruises. I am going on a cruise on carnival spirit soon and would love to take drone footage of the islands.
Carnivals site says drones are prohibited but there are countless forums saying carnival allows people to take drones onboard as long as they are only checked out when on shore.

I rang carnival and the lady on the phone only read the webpage out to me word for word so not much help there really.
Has anybody taken a drone onboard a carnival cruise ship recently? I feel not being able to take it is a real missed opportunity for some fantastic footage.

maybe I could sneak the mini on board, if its found I guess it would just be confiscated until the end of the cruise.

Also has anybody had any problems with drones and customs? specifically south pacific islands?

Reactions: FASTFJR
they would find it in your carry on for sure...princess found my trader joe corkscrew. The scanner drew a square around it just like Active Flight. You could get lucky with your check in. They’re good about holding things safe. It could be a hassle if you have to take a tender in port.
Hope you let us know what you decide

Most cruise ships make you put all your stuff through a scanner when you board - and will only let you have access to your drone when you disembark at each port (which is going to slow things down a bit) & make you hand it in when you get back on board.
However, the Mavic Mini is made of pretty thin plastic, and of course folds up - so they may not spot what it is.
So I would try & see what happens - you won't lose your drone.

Just plead ignorance, if caught. But don't use it on the ship, all that metal has a strange effect on compasses ;)

Good luck.

Don’t fly it off the balcony. Haha ...those ships do an honest 20 kts

As others have mentioned they will find it during the scanning that occurs when luggage is put brought on board. All carry on bags are also put through a scanner so your chance of sneaking it on board or slim to none. I would go with what is on the cruise line website before anything written on a forum since the cruise line can change their policy at any time. If still in doubt call them.

MOST cruise lines prohibit drones. If it's Norwegian, it's definitely a no go. I've even spoken to them on the phone about it. It's unfortunate that a few morons flying their drones ON the ship ruined it for everyone.

There are numerous threads about this and I’ve responded with my experiences.

Regardless of what anyone tells you or what the cruise line says there policy is BRING IT ANYWAY!

Having been on several NCL cruises in the past few years I have brought a drone on each trip.

I packed it in my camera bag with my other camera gear. I took the props off and put rubber covers over the motors. I had no problems taking it on and off the ship on each cruise and simply stored it in my cabin. Zero problems or questions.

On each trip i has either a spark or a MPP. I wouldn’t bring a phantom. Something discreet like a mini, air, or spark is ideal.

Just simplify things. Don’t bring a large hard sided case. When you fly take off from a secluded spot and as I say all the time don’t draw attention to yourself and don’t be the “look at me I have a drone guy”.

The worst case scenario is they you need to check it in with the security office on the ship. You will be able to retrieve it in port and you will get it back the last night of the cruise. (This info was from a Norwegian Cruise Line officer)

Scout possible flight locations in Kittyhawk, Google Maps, and airmap. Simply search “the port of call name, drone” on YouTube to get an idea of possible locations. I do this a lot to not only get ideas but to see of it looks like a friendly place to fly.

The main reason they prohibit drones is they don’t want anyone landing and crashing into other passengers while on the ship. Fly in port only and use your best judgement.

Feel free to private message me if anyone has any question.

Attachments

• 9545D830-7290-4538-A5E1-FC66B3814DB9.jpeg
    9545D830-7290-4538-A5E1-FC66B3814DB9.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 46
Last edited:
I'm an avid cruiser (mostly Royal Carribean) and have never had an issue. You cannot fly on the ship but can definitely take on to the ports. Make sure you comply with the country's drone laws.

Regardless of what anyone tells you or what the cruise line says there policy is BRING IT ANYWAY!

Having been on several NCL cruises in the past few years I have brought a drone on each trip.

I packed it in my camera bag with my other camera gear. I took the props off and put rubber covers over the motors. I had no problems taking it on and off the ship on each cruise and simply stored it in my cabin. Zero problems or questions.

On each trip i has either a spark or a MPP. I wouldn’t bring a phantom. Something discreet like a mini, air, or spark is ideal.

Just simplify things. Don’t bring a large hard sided case. When you fly take off from a secluded spot and as I say all the time don’t draw attention to yourself and don’t be the “look at me I have a drone guy”.

The worst case scenario is they you need to check it in with the security office on the ship. You will be able to retrieve it in port and you will get it back the last night of the cruise. (This info was from a Norwegian Cruise Line officer)

Scout possible flight locations in Kittyhawk, Google Maps, and airmap. Simply search “the port of call name, drone” on YouTube to get an idea of possible locations. I do this a lot to not only get ideas but to see of it looks like a friendly place to fly.

The main reason they prohibit drones is they don’t want anyone landing and crashing into other passengers while on the ship. Fly in port only and use your best judgement.

This is interesting, Going on a cruise in July on NCL, maybe I'll take the Mavic Air. When I travel (flying mostly), I never pack my drones away, it's always on my carry on. And I always have a backpack with me as carry on when I take cruises. So may give it a go. Went on a cruise to Bermuda 2 years ago, and when I was leaving the beach, my brother in law said, hey look up, and someone was flying a drone, I was very jealous as I always wanted to fly in Bermuda because it's so beautiful.

Last edited:

Holy crap, that's the dockyards in Bermuda isn't it ?

and yes every thing was in a carry on camera backpack.

yes and this is why you get up at dawn to fly sometimes

Wow, absolutely beautiful, you are a master filmmaker, you should give lessons. Just beautiful. I've been on that ship BTW. Been on Norwegian Dawn (x2), Star, Breakaway (x2) and the Escape. I'll be going on the Encore this summer.

Thanks everyone for your input. I will let you know how I go (and hopefully post some nice footage) when I get back

I just cruised on Royal Caribbean and brought my Mavic Mini without issue (I left my MPP home). I flew it in Belize and on Cozumel. Mexico's drone laws only permit residents with permits to fly drones over 250 grams so the mini gets by on due to its weight, however, someone else was flying an M2P without issue; I'm confident they'd rather have happy tourists than hassle them.

I suggest you take your Mavic Mini and fly it safely where the app lets you and private property owners do not object.; not on the ship though unless confined to your stateroom. Enjoy.

Hey Roar Roar,

How do I private message you? I'm going on a NWC next month. My first cruise! I have been fortunate enough to travel the world by air and by land. Every trip I take various drones with me without issue.

However I'm nervous about taking a drone on my cruise. If I do it will be my mini 3 pro just due to its size. I just don't want them to confiscate it for good ya know? It's crazy how NWC puts drones under "kids toys" category.

I'll have to check out the rubber covers to cover the motors and remove the props. It makes no since why Royal Carribean allows them and Carnival...Anyways just had a few questions for you to see eif you've had any more experience with NWC and bringing your drone on your trips.

Revising an old thread. I have brought a drone Mavic on 4 cruises and only got caught once. The trick is to put the drone in checked baggage. Have it next to something similar like other camera equipment etc....Taking it with you in port is the easy part since nothing is scanned. Coming back is a little more difficult since everything is scanned. I keep mine in my backpack or my dive gear / beach bag. The trick is to not have everything (drone, batteries and controller) in one location. I got caught once coming back on, security saw it and ask me what it was. I said camera equipment which they didn't by. I removed it and handed it over.... and then they handed it right back to me and told me to see the Officer about 20ft away which I did. Turns out this guy loves drones and had a few of his own. We talked for about 20 minutes and then he said would you like a tour of the bridge. I said heck yea.

Don't be stupid about things, don't bring a Phantom..... bring something small. Don't walk off with a big old drone case. And whatever you do... Do not fly it while on the ship.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143