DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini developing jello in flight

jumpingbean

Reactions
I've got a curious case on my hands that might not have been mentioned yet on this forum.

Since a couple of flights, my MM seems to develop jello during flight. It starts really stable and as it used to be, then jello kicks in within a couple seconds into the flight and gains on strength as I continue to buzz around. After 15 minutes, the image is useless for any video purposes, even in hover.

Each time I was flying in 2-3 m/s wind conditions, with temperatures at 12, 5 and 2 degrees Celsius. I wasn't getting jello before even with minor sub-zero temperatures.

I'm quite puzzled, as the drone did not sustain any damage. The rubber gimbal mounts are all in place, seemingly correct. What bothers me is that I've noticed that all of my props have a bit of free-play to them - some more than the others. I haven't checked that before, so I don't know if it's a stock feature, but I'd be glad to hear opinions on your gear. I cannot tight them more though, and they seem to be locked well with the original glue.

I've literally spent all my free time in 2013 and 2014 fighting jello on my custom drones and was relieved to know that a readymade piece will be free of that issue. Back to the game, I guess.

Can you please share your opinions on that matter? I'm still on 1.02 firmware, as I haven't seen a good reason to update yet - the last update has fried my Phantom 3 Pro controller, so... After all, jello is a mechanical issue, so the software shouldn't apply, but please prove me wrong.

Thanks in advance for all the input!

Maybe a good reason to update last firmware?
Did you check the rubber attachment point of gimbal, i saw some user report with one side not well fixed.

Just a thought: I think that the artifact you are seeing (jitter in the video resolution) is electronic artifact and NOT related to stability of the aircraft or gimbal. I have seen this with damaged or compromised image sensors, or when operated outside their temperature range (due to extreme low or high temps - similar thing happens when we shoot underwater - the camera gets hot in the water tight housing and affects the image sensor). In this case your real foe may be the cold. As another alternative, you may also be experiencing electronic interference from a strong RF or microwave source nearby where you are flying (cell tower concealed in a structure, transmitter, radar, etc.). The fact it is stable initially then increases may be temp related (hot or cold) or based on proximity to an interference source.

Just a thought: I think that the artifact you are seeing (jitter in the video resolution) is electronic artifact and NOT related to stability of the aircraft or gimbal. I have seen this with damaged or compromised image sensors, or when operated outside their temperature range (due to extreme low or high temps - similar thing happens when we shoot underwater - the camera gets hot in the water tight housing and affects the image sensor). In this case your real foe may be the cold. As another alternative, you may also be experiencing electronic interference from a strong RF or microwave source nearby where you are flying (cell tower concealed in a structure, transmitter, radar, etc.). The fact it is stable initially then increases may be temp related (hot or cold) or based on proximity to an interference source.
It make sens !

I had a good flight yesterday with nice, smooth video... then I updated the firmware this morning and now I have constant jello video.

Reactions: Thomas B
I had a good flight yesterday with nice, smooth video... then I updated the firmware this morning and now I have constant jello video.

Quite the opposite for me. After several test fights I can confirm that the problems have receeded after updating the firmware to 1.04. Makes me think that it had to be jitter coming from the pan motor of the gimbal, rather than jello resulting from improper suspension.

Thanks to all you folks for the input!

Man, just update FW at least to 1.03 and you will see no jello anymore!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78