DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini Falls From The Sky

KJT

Reactions
I took my MM up for a flight in an area I'm used to flying in. I took off and almost immediately had a red 'sensor error' come up on the display for the very first time. Started to descend, but the warning disappeared. Display said 'OK to fly' so I took off... (probably my first mistake)

I lost connection later, so started to pull back on the stick to reverse and gratefully regained control. In stead of performing an RTH, I decided to go manual and so I continued to fly back whilst descending until around 73m and got off the sticks to compose myself a bit. My phone then decided to crash and restart itself. I tried not to panic at this point and hoped that I'd either 1: be able to still fly with the controller on its own (didn't know if that was even possible), or 2: restart my phone and reconnect with the drone. The phone did reconnect, long enough for me to record what was going on and continue with my flight back at 73m - well above any obstacles.

A few moments later, I see the drone on the display flipping over and rapidly spinning out of control and descending. I focused on the tree tops I can see getting ever closer to the drone's camera. I was surprised to find that I could still affect the drone's flight path a little. I wanted to see if there was any chance I might be able to 'steer' into a gap to the ground. I didn't quite manage that it seemed, and then the phone display went black. Lost RC connection. Crashed and now lost = Gutted.

If I could at least find the drone, that'd be great, but I wanted to know the CAUSE of the crash. I tried to access the cached video on my phone but all my photos and videos were missing so I could not review the flight footage at alI. I went into the logs and used the find my drone function and could see the drone suddenly spinning downwards. I went out on a reccie to find it. It was starting to get near dark in the end and proved impossible to find. Time to sleep on it and try again at first light...I was hoping it wouldn't rain, and that it wasn't in pieces.

The next morning I used the GPS map and it was very accurate. It told me it was only half a metre below the take off position, so I knew it was likely that it was at the very top of a tree. It had made it to the ground, no damage to the body or camera thankfully, and the battery was still inside it - The camera had kept recording for around half an hour after the crash which really surprised me! If only I could've got to it's location sooner, I may have been able to get it beeping and flashing etc

So what was the cause?

I found a couple of broken propellers, but most significantly, I found that one propeller and it's screw was COMPLETELY MISSING. Looking at the flight log data after the fact, you can see the 'level' tip over suddenly over a couple of tenths of a second and then it was all downhill from there lol

So I have learned a very important lesson: don't ignore any safety check, use thread lock on the prop screws when fitting them, and check them for tightness before you fly.

I hope this proves useful to someone else who thinks they don't need to check their drone's propellers before a flight?

Last edited:
Reactions: Lastrexking
Glad you found it. Cannot believe how much I have read on here of the problems people are having with them and how many are falling out of the sky unbelievable. I realize a lot of it is probably pilot error but not all of them can be.

Reactions: KJT
I'm glad you were able to recover the mini. There is thread lock on the original props. Had you changed them?
No I hadn't changed them. But it's interesting to note that when I fitted the new replacements (original DJI ones) they also came with thread lock on the ends of the threads (just like the ones I was removing and had shaken loose) but the instructions clearly stated that the installer should ADD thread lock when fitting.
This just proves to me that DJI don't even trust the factory application of the thread lock, and we should all be checking the screws before every flight.

Glad you found it. Cannot believe how much I have read on here of the problems people are having with them and how many are falling out of the sky unbelievable. I realize a lot of it is probably pilot error but not all of them can be.
So far it's been super reliable and I've loved mine. I just ignored a simple pre-flight safety check and almost paid the ultimate price for that. A few more flights, and I'll get my sea legs back and will be up there 'in the clouds' again. Right now, it's forget VLOS I'm flying VLOT - visual line of TOUCH. Very low and very close! Lol

Last edited:
I was amazed with how my Mavic Mini was doing the first 3 days after having it, did great video, responsive in the wind, almost better than my mavic PP. Then I was flying it just above my house, flight record last recording was 6.9M and all of a sudden it just fell out of the air and landed on the driveway evenly like it would normally do when landing but it wasn't suppose to be landing and just fell from 6.9M per my flight records the hard landing separated the camera from the gimbal and the power on/power off button on the bottom was dislodged, but no other damage or scratches. I was going to send in for DJI care and have them look at it but got a reply it would be delayed and time to review would be unknown because of Covid so I used my DJI Care Express to get a replacement.

The only thing that makes since to me is the battery failed or shorted out the drone because it was less than 100 feet away from me and 6.9M high with full battery and good weather so no reason to lose signal.

I just want to see if anybody else has experienced this issue.

I was amazed with how my Mavic Mini was doing the first 3 days after having it, did great video, responsive in the wind, almost better than my mavic PP. Then I was flying it just above my house, flight record last recording was 6.9M and all of a sudden it just fell out of the air and landed on the driveway evenly like it would normally do when landing but it wasn't suppose to be landing and just fell from 6.9M per my flight records the hard landing separated the camera from the gimbal and the power on/power off button on the bottom was dislodged, but no other damage or scratches. I was going to send in for DJI care and have them look at it but got a reply it would be delayed and time to review would be unknown because of Covid so I used my DJI Care Express to get a replacement.

The only thing that makes since to me is the battery failed or shorted out the drone because it was less than 100 feet away from me and 6.9M high with full battery and good weather so no reason to lose signal.

I just want to see if anybody else has experienced this issue.
Is there anymore info in the flight log that would help explain what happened?

Compass Error:Motor is blocked was last thing on the log. Compared
Sounds like the landing came from those two things then - motor fault/failure, and if the compass is off, then anything can happen - it may have thought it was at a higher altitude than it really was hence the harder landing.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78