DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini from High Altitudes?

there are some old Youtube videos out there where some people have taking it way up there before the limits were applied.
They then turned the motors off and allowed the drone to freefall, at a certain point they restarted and landed safely.
I will try to find one, scary stuff, but some people will try anything I guess, some have money to burn and $1500 is pocket change
The second video is where the guy wanted to climb as high as he could and not depend on battery for the descent..crazy, crazy stuff

That is what I posted on my post above you on the CSC. But the correction to your post is, the Altitude limit has been in effect on DJI Aircraft over 4+ years. So they weren't doing it before on the videos, they were either within factory parameters 1640Ft max....or they Hacked the firmware to go higher with 3rd party systems.

Most of the people who actually tried the CSC restart were YouTubers that had the drone "Given" to them, so no biggie..the number of hits to their videos would easily offset the price of a new drone when posting such videos anyway...but simple fact is, people posted that it indeed works, I have never seen a fail video that I recall. So you can trust that part of the DJI legacy..not that I would ever do it with my $2500+ investments mind ya. ;)

Example of a hacked Drone "Doing it". Note there are valid reasons to ditch your drone in flight. Emergency Helis or LifeFlights just popping in your area and such..it's good to know that you can indeed allow it to drop instantly and then recover a couple hundred feet later. I actually Modded one of My DJI's to allow ascent and decent about 3 times stock due to my flying area..it was insane..coming down took about 30-40 foot braking distance to regain hover. See second video to demonstrate ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Torcan
Let’s get back on topic guys though the OP’s topic has been answered.
Thanks

Reactions: Thomas B
I flew my Mini off of a mountain at 6600' feet and got a high altitude warning

I just used my MM in the mountains and started it at 3030m (9940 feet) asl and had no issues going even higher (maybe around 150 m (500 feet) higher). Except for a waring of high altitude all worked perfectly fine

Reactions: Emanáku
I live at 8k' and never fly any lower. I fly regularly a little over 11k' and never had any issue whatsoever.

Here is a video of an old mine in CO that I took at an elevation of 11k'
I've flown at 12,000 ft (mountain elevation), never over 400 feet above me. The joy of living in Colorado! Only thing is a little less flight time.

I have flown mavic mini at an altitude of 4300 metres and 3900 metres. This is way above the threshold of 3000 metres. It was giving high altitude warnings and also esc threshold warning but it kept on flying until the battery level got depleted and I received RTH beeps and for some reason it landed 40 metres away from home point. It landed on a small crevasse resulting in damage to left rear propellers.

I was impressed with mavic mini but I could not understand the crash. Did the mini change from sport to normal when battery level went low or did the mavic mini think the crevass was it's home point or did it think it could not sustain flight and landed where it felt like. Is it due to Li-on batteries juice (ability to discharge higher amperage) goes down after batteries level deplete?

Lesson: Flying small distance and height with fully charged battery till 50% should not be a problem if there is no wind even in higher altitude.

I also had MA2 with me and it flew like charm at 4600 metres and also it flew like charm in high winds.

I think buying a DJI mini 2 is better idea for higher altitude.

Thanks for the quick answer. I am heading up to the mountains next week and the mini is going with me. I will go slow and easy keeping it close to see how it does.
Yes, you can be at 10,000 ft and still be close to the ground right? Hover around near the ground. See how things go. The air is the same as if you let it fly off the side of the mountain. So, it would be a safe test.

I live at 9800 feet altitude. The Mini flies here very good, but the batteries never made it longer than 20 minutes.
I once flew at 14400 feet without problems. The battery was good for 16 minutes and the drone landed with 15% battery left.
I would love to be able to fly 3000 to 5000 feet high, always following the mountains ("mountain surfing" as the FPV pilots call it), but the Mini is restricted to 500 meters max - really annoying....

I live at 9800 feet altitude. The Mini flies here very good, but the batteries never made it longer than 20 minutes.
I once flew at 14400 feet without problems. The battery was good for 16 minutes and the drone landed with 15% battery left.
I would love to be able to fly 3000 to 5000 feet high, always following the mountains ("mountain surfing" as the FPV pilots call it), but the Mini is restricted to 500 meters max - really annoying....
If you land the drone the altitude resets to zero at the new site you landed at. So, you could fly half way up a 1000m high mountain, land, and then fly up another 500m to get to the top. You do need to be careful in choosing a suitable landing site part-way up the mountain though. As the drone gets closer to the ground you're much more at risk from trees/rocks/etc blocking your controller signal.

Another point to bear in mind is whether your local drone rules/regulations require you to maintain sight of your drone. The mini is typically indistinguishable well before reaching 500m distance.

Reactions: Emanáku
I will not try the landing thing - finding a "suitable landing site part-way up" for the mini with it's short legs seems to me an unsolvable task :)
Thank you!

If you land the drone the altitude resets to zero at the new site you landed at. So, you could fly half way up a 1000m high mountain, land, and then fly up another 500m to get to the top. You do need to be careful in choosing a suitable landing site part-way up the mountain though. As the drone gets closer to the ground you're much more at risk from trees/rocks/etc blocking your controller signal.

Another point to bear in mind is whether your local drone rules/regulations require you to maintain sight of your drone. The mini is typically indistinguishable well before reaching 500m distance.
That sounds like a good way to cap off your flying day with an invigorating hike up the mountain to retrieve your drone. :p

Reactions: scro
That sounds like a good way to cap off your flying day with an invigorating hike up the mountain to retrieve your drone. :p
That is a very possible result of trying this. ?

Technically it is possible, but difficult to do successfully and legally.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada