DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini from High Altitudes?

Is this higher than the altitude of 500 mts present in the DJI FLY APP.
No.

There are 2 ways to express altitude:
  • Height above mean sea level (MSL). This is typically used for commercial flying and when talking about heights of mountains.
  • Height above ground. This is used by the Fly app, general drone flying and this is what the 500m maximum altitude limit in the fly app applies to.
The "high altitude flying" that this thread started of discussing is relating to flying a drone from high altitude ground such as a mountain top, and the altitudes being talked about are the altitudes above MSL for the local ground level. For most drone pilots the altitude above MSL is not of great interest. It only becomes of interest when you are high up a mountain where the air is thinner and the aircraft struggles to produce enough thrust to stay airborne.

Speaking of altitude above ground, if a Mini is flying in a straight line and the terrain below is dropping in elevation, is the greater height over ground reflected in the controller’s readings?

Speaking of altitude above ground, if a Mini is flying in a straight line and the terrain below is dropping in elevation, is the greater height over ground reflected in the controller’s readings?
No, the height readout you see in the app is the height above (or below!) takeoff point only.

Conversely, if you take off at the base of a tall mountain, fly straight upwards 100m, and then fly towards it you could hit the ground despite your height readout saying 100m.

To be precise, the launch point was 9200 feet from a bare mountaintop. Flight elevation above launch point was never higher than 50 feet. Full line of sight visibility in all directions. Safety first, to put BreezeAbroad's mind at rest.

I think a few posters here are not reading or understanding what is going on.
No one is flying 8,9,11K above ground level
they are flying from different elevations.

I have never flown higher than 120 meters above from where I launched. Ever

The above video of the mine was taking up in the hills outside a little mountain town in CO called Goldfield which is about 10k' most have not heard or been to Goldfield but it is very close to Cripple Creek, CO which most have heard of. Cripple Creek is about 9500' in elevation.
I've been meaning to get up there to shoot some video of that gigantic open pit mine at Cripple Creek. Do you have any video of that?

Edit: Looking at the map, it looks like your site is actually part of that operation -- dang, it's huge.

Last edited:
I've been meaning to get up there to shoot some video of that gigantic open pit mine at Cripple Creek. Do you have any video of that?

Edit: Looking at the map, it looks like your site is actually part of that operation -- dang, it's huge.
Not of Cripple Creek but there is a huge one, the biggest by Goldfield. But when It is very deep and big. They have a parking area to view it right above, a pull off the road and I was all ready to fly then went over by some bleachers and there was a no drone sign so I didn't fly. But I would have never saw the sign if I didn't go by the bleachers. I flew at Bishop's Castle and they even let you fly inside which I did. But if you do go early when they open as it gets busier as the day goes on.

No, the height readout you see in the app is the height above (or below!) takeoff point only.

Conversely, if you take off at the base of a tall mountain, fly straight upwards 100m, and then fly towards it you could hit the ground despite your height readout saying 100m.
That makes sense, thanks clarifying that.

Not of Cripple Creek but there is a huge one, the biggest by Goldfield. But when It is very deep and big. They have a parking area to view it right above, a pull off the road and I was all ready to fly then went over by some bleachers and there was a no drone sign so I didn't fly. But I would have never saw the sign if I didn't go by the bleachers. I flew at Bishop's Castle and they even let you fly inside which I did. But if you do go early when they open as it gets busier as the day goes on.
Yeah, that's the one I was thinking of -- that big pit is about a kilometer across and over 300 meters deep. Thanks for the "warning" about the bleachers; I'll be careful to avoid that sign. :p

And yeah, Bishop's Castle was another place I was thinking about, but I was afraid that would be a place that didn't allow drones, so thanks for the info. What a crazy place -- do you have any video you can post?

Attachments

• goldfield.jpg
    goldfield.jpg
    394.8 KB · Views: 20
Reactions: ff22
Yeah, that's the one I was thinking of -- that big pit is about a kilometer across and over 300 meters deep. Thanks for the "warning" about the bleachers; I'll be careful to avoid that sign. :p

And yeah, Bishop's Castle was another place I was thinking about, but I was afraid that would be a place that didn't allow drones, so thanks for the info. What a crazy place -- do you have any video you can post?
If you look at the video I posted in #6 you see the big wall of gray on the horizon. That would be the east side of the mine bowl. Then I drove around 81& 82 and parked in the Molly Kathleen mine overlook on the north. If you look on Google maps you can see like a ramp/elevator on the left area of the parking area. I thought it was bleachers, but think it s an elevator. Anyway, that is where the no drone sign is. So if you parked away from that in the parking area there are no other signs around.

I emailed Bishop's Castle which is at about 9200 feet. It is about 160 feet high. They replied back and said people fly their drones there and we are welcome to. Once I got there I talked to the son and he even said I was welcome to fly inside so I did. The only thing is the second floor is wood and it is all dirt and dust so stay higher up otherwise you will just blow the dirt all around. Also, I was quite surprised at the amount of people. When he told me I could even fly inside I told him I would wait til a little later when not so many people and he said it would only get more people as the day went on. There are some excellent places over 13,000 and even 14,000 feet in San Isabel that are great places to film as well and you will pass some of them going to Bishop's Castle. But if flying inside of the castle I would recommend prop guards as there are people around. You don't fly over the but they will be in the same room.

I have videos however it is completely raw and not edited, Maybe I can put something together and get some segments posted. I ate lunch there (2 brats) and also gave a small donation in there donation container as I like to support places that welcome drones.

Stay safe

Please forward this to the dumb question department: if I use 50% battery climbing to 9000' and the battery dies on the descent, I assume the motors quit and the Mavic crashes?

Please forward this to the dumb question department: if I use 50% battery climbing to 9000' and the battery dies on the descent, I assume the motors quit and the Mavic crashes?
Absolutely! That is unless you catch it while it is free falling before it hits the ground.

The only thing "dumb" is climbing to 9000' part. Which DJI drones can't do. Maximum is 500M from launch or 1640' and even then you wouldn't use 50%, depending on whether you did so directly over head or within 60' from launch. IF you did so outside that parameter then Smart RTH would kick in and land you before battery would die easily, inside 60' then your critical battery setting would apply, pretty sure you would land again, no battery issue. But the short answer is even if you could climb to 9000' and had 50% left you would easily make the decent as coming down is greatly reduced on power drain. There are a few varibles but not worth discussing, but I am sure someone will, so I will leave that to them ;)

If you want to see the fun, you could climb to max...do a CSC (Kill switch) let it drop 1000 ft and CSC again (Restart/Arm)...a few videos on YouTube...not for the faint of heart :) YouTube search: "DJI CSC restart"

Last edited:
Reactions: Emanáku
The only thing "dumb" is climbing to 9000' part. Which DJI drones can't do. Maximum is 500M from launch or 1640' and even then you wouldn't use 50%, depending on whether you did so directly over head or within 60' from launch. IF you did so outside that parameter then Smart RTH would kick in and land you before battery would die easily, inside 60' then your critical battery setting would apply, pretty sure you would land again, no battery issue. But the short answer is even if you could climb to 9000' and had 50% left you would easily make the decent as coming down is greatly reduced on power drain. There are a few varibles but not worth discussing, but I am sure someone will, so I will leave that to them ;)

If you want to see the fun, you could climb to max...do a CSC (Kill switch) let it drop 1000 ft and CSC again (Restart/Arm)...a few videos on YouTube...not for the faint of heart :) YouTube search: "DJI CSC restart"
Maybe I was wrong but I assumed he was asking if the drone was up high and the battery dies on descent that the motors stop and it crashes, which it does. Think maybe he was thinking there would be a chance of it auto-gyrating or something to make a slower descent even after losing power but that is not the case. Your battery dies it will fall like a rock - like I said your only chance of saving it is catching it. I think the height he mentioned was only used for reference and certainly had no intentions of going that high. Again I think the question boiled down to if battery dies on descent will the motors stop and it crash - Yes, absolutely.

But speaking of high altitude and going higher than you are allowed there is a post in the crash analysis forum of a person going up to 5200 feet to film the comet, lost his drone on descent and asked for help, even offering a reward to find it. Can you imagine that?

Maybe I was wrong but I assumed he was asking if the drone was up high and the battery dies on descent that the motors stop and it crashes, which it does. Think maybe he was thinking there would be a chance of it auto-gyrating or something to make a slower descent even after losing power but that is not the case. Your battery dies it will fall like a rock - like I said your only chance of saving it is catching it. I think the height he mentioned was only used for reference and certainly had no intentions of going that high. Again I think the question boiled down to if battery dies on descent will the motors stop and it crash - Yes, absolutely.

But speaking of high altitude and going higher than you are allowed there is a post in the crash analysis forum of a person going up to 5200 feet to film the comet, lost his drone on descent and asked for help, even offering a reward to find it. Can you imagine that?

I don't look into what they might be asking :p I looked at what he said. " if I use 50% battery climbing to 9000' and the battery dies on the descent, I assume the motors quit and the Mavic crashes?

I simply showed that it isn't possible (Climb) and not probable for the battery to die, but yes it's a no brainer that if you got no more "Go Juice" you fall like a rock...I don't think there are many people flying (Or should be) that a Drone "Autorotates" like a CP Helicopter. Could be wrong on some of the newbies though (no offense intended) :)

there are some old Youtube videos out there where some people have taking it way up there before the limits were applied.
They then turned the motors off and allowed the drone to freefall, at a certain point they restarted and landed safely.
I will try to find one, scary stuff, but some people will try anything I guess, some have money to burn and $1500 is pocket change

Last edited:
Reactions: ff22

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair