DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini motor speed error - always the RIGHT rear. Should I ignore it if new props?

steig

Reactions
As the title says, my error is every flight, regardless of props motor speed error for right rear. It usually occurs 5 minutes or more into the flight and usually while hovering. DJI had me send it in, and after it returned, behaved in exactly the same way.

I've been flying quadcopters since 2002. My first was a Dragonflyer. My best practices has always been to attend to anything not nominal. An error message is not nominal. What other error messages or negatives on my pre-flight and in-flight checks shall I safely ignore?

Check the reported motor speed into the dat file

I got that warning during each flight after I updated the the firmware. Then I was prompted to upgrade firmware of the batteries, which took about 30 seconds to download for each battery. After that, no more warnings. I don't know how this all works, but it seemed to fix the issue.

every .DAT file i had check shows that the error occur when the speed on a motor exceeds 16000 RPM. I think there 2 causes: Strong wind or bad propeler. BUT it can also be bad IMU algorithm, so try an IMU calibration.

Check the reported motor speed into the dat file

There are several instances where only the right rear cracks 16k. Funny how most folks complain about left rear!

Attachments

• flight 1.jpg
    flight 1.jpg
    557.3 KB · Views: 29
  • flight2.jpg
    flight2.jpg
    603.9 KB · Views: 28
How do you update the battery? Would there be a notification in the flyapp? I only see the options to check for updates on firmware and the app but fly safe database gave me a notification after the first few flights outta the box but ive never seen anything about updates to the battery or controller I mean I did the initial updates when I first activated it did it automatically do the battery and controller then? Or this something that is done separately

(mavic mini) On Saturday 6/6 while low hovering in backyard I lost satellite connection and unit became unstable. While landing front left propeller rubbed the raised pavement. Looking at mavic from camera to rear. On Sunday 6/7 received a battery update message. Allowed the update. Installed the propeller guard because I wanted to take low photos over my family. Received the payload detected error. On 2nd flight received motor speed warning, did not notice which motor errorred. I put the unit away. On Monday 6/8 replaced chipped propeller from 6/6. Flew and after few minutes of low hover received propeller speed error for right rear propeller. This is not the set I replaced and it looks fine. Will replace as soon as I get another spare.

Attachments

• 20200609_002036.jpg
    20200609_002036.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 30
  • Screenshot_20200609-000701.jpg
    Screenshot_20200609-000701.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 32
  • Screenshot_20200609-000611.jpg
    Screenshot_20200609-000611.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 30
  • Screenshot_20200608-235632.jpg
    Screenshot_20200608-235632.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 28
1) Check if your batteries are updated. In DJI Fly go to home screen, not the camera view. If already in camera view then press the arrow in the upper left corner and go to the home screen. Watch for the battery update message. Update the battery FW if the message comes up. Do it for all your batteries.
2) Install and run DJI Assistant 2 application on your PC. Follow the instructions to connect your Mini or controller. Refresh the firmware in the Mini AND in the controller with DJI Assistant 2.
3) After restart of the drone everything should be ok.

Reactions: ff22
Thanks for that info. Installed DJI Assistant 2 on my 2008 MacBook pro running El Capitan but when I click to open the installed program nothing happens. I plug in the mini and my Mac detects it and shows all my drone photos and videos on the memory card but the DJI Assistant 2 will not open. I also have a 2020 Macbook Air, DJI Assistant 2 opens on Macbook Air but this Macbook has USB-C ports. I need to get a USB-C to micro B cable.

Last edited:
How do you update the battery? Would there be a notification in the flyapp? I only see the options to check for updates on firmware and the app but fly safe database gave me a notification after the first few flights outta the box but ive never seen anything about updates to the battery or controller I mean I did the initial updates when I first activated it did it automatically do the battery and controller then? Or this something that is done separately
As Mikey noted, get to the screen mentioned. Check and update battery as required. Power down the drone, put in the next battery and follow the same procedure for each battery for the update.

1) Check if your batteries are updated. In DJI Fly go to home screen, not the camera view. If already in camera view then press the arrow in the upper left corner and go to the home screen. Watch for the battery update message. Update the battery FW if the message comes up. Do it for all your batteries.
2) Install and run DJI Assistant 2 application on your PC. Follow the instructions to connect your Mini or controller. Refresh the firmware in the Mini AND in the controller with DJI Assistant 2.
3) After restart of the drone everything should be ok.
1) verified all batteries were updated
2) installed DJI Assistant 2 and refreshed firmware on both aircraft and controller.

Was able to hover at low altitude without any error but after going up about 31m the propeller speed error returned. I changed the failing propeller rear left. Did several high altitude and distance flights and no more error.

Attachments

• 20200610_104710.jpg
    20200610_104710.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 16
  • 20200610_114619.jpg
    20200610_114619.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 16
Reactions: ff22 and Mikey's
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics