DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Canada Repair and Self-Healing Mavic Mini

JamieK

Reactions
Funnish kind of story here. On August 30th I got the dreaded 'gimbal stuck' error on my 3 week old MM. Did the research, tried all of the fixes and nothing worked, kept getting the 'gimbal stuck error. Opened a ticket with DJI for a warranty service claim. They basically told me to send it to the official Canadian repair depot. They gave me the address and phone number but did not give instructions on how to go about it. After a couple of emails back and forth with DJI NA I decided to call the number for the Canadian repair depot. After a few more emails back and forth between me and the repair depot repetitiously providing symptoms, links to error logs and such I finally got a shipping label. So far, the MM has been down for over a week.

Off goes the MM to the repair depot, took 5 days to get there, saw that they had received it. Two days later, the tech calls me to say it's been repaired, new gimbal/camera has been installed. He also gave me info on the motor over speed error that has been trending lately and that if I got the error it'll have to be sent back. For now though, he said it's all good, no errors. He also said I'd have to re-pair the controller when the MM got back to me. Nice heads up there. A week later and I have the MM back in my hands, just as Hurricane Teddy is to arrive in my neighbourhood. It was quite windy outside (obviously) so I though I'd do a test flight in my home office. After pairing the remote and checking to ignore the GPS error (inside no GPS reception) I launched it. Noticed immediately that it wouldn't hover they way it did before I sent it off. It was drifting up and down, side to side whereas before I sent it off, even in the house, it hovered rock solid. No matter...flew it until the battery warning and landed it. The next day was nice so I took it outside to fly again. Good satellite lock, still a lot of hover drift. Flight characteristic were spot on, but hovering stability although within spec was not as good as it was. More research, more trying out fixes (all of the different calibrations, replaced props et al) no difference in the hovering stability.

Next day (yesterday) was beautiful, thought I'd take it out for some sunset photos. Get to my spot, turn everything on and....gimbal error. F&*%! Turned it all off and on again, gimbal error. Calibrate gimbal...stops at 10%. Pack it all up ready to take it home and get another warranty call started. Then I thought, why not try the IMU calibration one more time. Bingo, gimbal error went away. Launched, still had the hover drift issue but was flying great as usual. After twenty minutes or so of flying I brought it back in and hovered a few feet away. No drift. What? Flew it around some more, brought it back, no drift. So the MM is back to what it was like before I sent it away and I'm happy about that :)

DJI_0163.JPGDJI_0163.JPG

Probably just a better GPS lock with more satellites, did you notice how many were connected ?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78