DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Return or attempt repair ?

Mazdaman323lx

Reactions
I dropped my Mavic 3 pro this morning , slipped out of my hand and on to my foot , landing on the gimbal .There's no visible damage , and the gimbal moves freely by hand through all axis .
However when I powered it up there is zero gimbal movement and I get a gimbal stuck error message . I guessing I damaged the gimbal ribbon cable or more likely it got pulled out of its motherboard socket .The camera works fine . Should I open it up to check - is it a easy thing to check or just send it off for repair ?

I dropped my Mavic 3 pro this morning , slipped out of my hand and on to my foot , landing on the gimbal .There's no visible damage , and the gimbal moves freely by hand through all axis .
However when I powered it up there is zero gimbal movement and I get a gimbal stuck error message . I guessing I damaged the gimbal ribbon cable or more likely it got pulled out of its motherboard socket .The camera works fine . Should I open it up to check - is it a easy thing to check or just send it off for repair ?
If it's under warranty, send it into DJI. If not and you're tech savoy, go for it.

Damaging a drone by dropping it is not covered by warranty.
You're correct. I guess I should have included Care Refresh

Should I open it up to check - is it a easy thing to check or just send it off for repair ?
Have a look at
from 1:10 onwards.
I be inclined to return it, if for no other reason than replacing a cable may be guess work unless you happen to spot a broken strand.
Bear in mind you are unlikely to be able to buy genuine DJI parts unless they are second hand.

But opening the drone would invalidate warranty as anti tamper seals would be broken, it might also invalidate care refresh.
Yep If you wanna keep any kind of warranty service remember- Once you dig the little bit of epoxy from those screws for disassembly, you are now on your own!
If its under warranty Send it in. You won't save that much really by doing it yourself. But its your choice of course. Just food for thought.

Reactions: Mazdaman323lx
I’ve done both, I took my mavic 1 apart to fix gimble and made things worse. It is fairly cheap and quick to send it to dji. They are very reasonable. Since then I’ve had m2,m3 and have pulled apart many times. Depends on if you work with hands and watch videos if you fix

Reactions: Capt KO
Gimbals are notorious for being difficult to diagnose and repair. People always say the ribbon, then it still does not work, then they say something else. Before long you have spent a lot of money and time and still it won't work. Just send it in and they will send back a new one, best money you will spend and they are fast at the turn around too and pay your shipping both ways. Trust everyone who says send it back.

Thanks for the advice everyone , I sent it back . Now I have a new problem . I used the express service where they send you the replacement drone straight away while they put a hold of 1100 on your card , which is released once they receive the old drone . I boxed up the old one , printed the UPS label from DJI and brought it to the suggest UPS pick up point - a 3rd party automated parcel locker , scanned it , put inside the door of the shelf , locked it , and got my receipt . They package hasn't been seen since and DJI are on to me about sending the old one back . Once I have the receipt showing I dropped it off at the UPS parcel locker am I in the clear ? The hold on my card is still showing active after 10 days . UPS are investigating but I'm hearing nothing back. This repair could end up costing me 1100 plus the 150 replacement fee

Once I have the receipt showing I dropped it off at the UPS parcel locker am I in the clear ?
Ask DJI on their forum.
But my thinking suggests that you should be "in the clear" however I would also email DJI the tracking number. Ebay ask for tracking numbers so that their system can follow the return's progress.

I
Ask DJI on their forum.
But my thinking suggests that you should be "in the clear" however I would also email DJI the tracking number. Ebay ask for tracking numbers so that their system can follow the return's progress.
I gave them the receipt and tracking number , thank god I had the good sense to request it . They started an investigation, UPS doing the same on their behalf. Tricky part is the 3rd party mail locker .

I

I gave them the receipt and tracking number , thank god I had the good sense to request it . They started an investigation, UPS doing the same on their behalf. Tricky part is the 3rd party mail locker .
Providing you follow an acceptable procedure then that it is a third party locker is not your concern\problem.

I make sure to hand my packages to a person at ups. You can’t trust anyone in our lovely world. Good luck, hope everything works for you.

…and make them scan it and give you a receipt. I seen them several times just take an Amazon return and just put it in a pile to be picked up later on.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne