DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic mini question???

J.J

Reactions
Hi there,

I'm new here, this is my first post. I have a question about the mavic mini or just about any drone under 250g actually, i'm new to all the new drone laws in Canada, but I have heard that you need to keep the drone within line of sight, is this true? I see alot of people on youtube and the internet fly the drone a couple miles away with no worries about being able to see it. I don't own a mavic mini, but I am interested in purchasing one. The reason I wish to know this is that I am interested in flying it a little ways away and because it is so small, i'm concerned it will be hard to see. Also I can't seem to find the official rules for drones under the weight of 250g online, i've look on the transport Canada site but just can't seem to find them. If someone knows where to find them I would really appreciate if you could attach a link to them.

Thanks

Hi there,

I'm new here, this is my first post. I have a question about the mavic mini or just about any drone under 250g actually, i'm new to all the new drone laws in Canada, but I have heard that you need to keep the drone within line of sight, is this true? I see alot of people on youtube and the internet fly the drone a couple miles away with no worries about being able to see it. I don't own a mavic mini, but I am interested in purchasing one. The reason I wish to know this is that I am interested in flying it a little ways away and because it is so small, i'm concerned it will be hard to see. Also I can't seem to find the official rules for drones under the weight of 250g online, i've look on the transport Canada site but just can't seem to find them. If someone knows where to find them I would really appreciate if you could attach a link to them.

Thanks
welcome to the forum, the rules for flying are the same as heavier drones but you are exempt from the registration process ,type in drone flying rules in Canada and you will get all the info you need

welcome to the forum, the rules for flying are the same as heavier drones but you are exempt from the registration process ,type in drone flying rules in Canada and you will get all the info you need

Thank you, so do you know if that means that I have to fly within line of sight as there is alot of controversy online.

Thanks.

Reactions: old man mavic
LOS is the same all over the world, if it goes out of sight theres a risk of losing your drone due to not knowing what is surrounding you drone

I'm afraid it's true you have to fly in almost all countries with your Drone in line of sight. If you think about it by the time your Drone is 1000 feet away the Mavic Mine is likely to be invisible to the naked eye, certainly not at my age. Anyway, if anything goes wrong during the flight you have more chance of seeing where it landed if it is still visible your more likely to be able to find your Drone

Welcome to the forum. As OMM said above the rules are the same, the only difference is you do not have to register the MM or take the pilot exam before you fly it. You still cannot fly within 5.6Km of any airport or 1.9Km of a heliport and you have to follow all of the rules for larger drones including flying Visual Line Of Sight (VLOS).

I have 2 larger drones (Spark and Phantom 3 Standard) that I had to get my Pilot’s licence for (online test) and register. I always fly VLOS and feel it is a VERY important rule - I fly frequently in areas that are rural and away from the city and well away from any airport (beyond 5.6km) and have been surprised when a plane or helicopter suddenly appears.

Just yesterday I had been flying from an area with nobody around far from an airport checking melting ice conditions. After I had packed up and had went to check out another area I have flown from, I saw a helicopter flying low over the ice that I hadn’t expected or seen before in that location.

The lesson here is: don’t take any chances, fly VLOS even with a MM, because you never know if another maned aircraft will be in the air. If you have your drone in VLOS you can get out of the way quickly.

Good luck with your drone purchase.

Chris

Reactions: wjkrysak
Thank you, so do you know if that means that I have to fly within line of sight as there is alot of controversy online.

Thanks.
yes VLOS is a requirement if you want to remain legal,the mini is really for closer flying and you will struggle to see it after around 700 ft anyway, dont forget it does not have obstacle avoidance sensors ,so if you cant see it you will not be able to tell if it is going to collide with something till its to late to react

Reactions: WooZie and J.J
Transport Canada published new AIM document yesterday which has a very good description of Micro RPAs (under 250g like the MavicMini).

Thanks @Millsy006 for the heads up on the new regulations.

This is one section from the Transport Canada pertaining to the Mavic Mini - Micro Remotely Piloted Aircraft System (mRPAS)

"2.0 MICRO REMOTELY PILOTED AIRCRAFT SYSTEMS (mRPAS) — LESS THAN 250 G Micro remotely piloted aircraft systems(mRPAS) are made up of a remotely piloted aircraft (RPA) weighing less than 250g and its control station. The weight of the control station is not factored in to the weight calculation when determining whether an RPAS is micro (< 250 g) or small (250 g to 25 kg). However, the weight of any payload carried, such as optional cameras, will be considered part of the weight. Pilots of micro RPASs are not subject to Subpart 1 of Part IX of the Canadian Aviation Regulations (CARS), so they are not required to register their RPAs or obtain a certificate to fly them. However, they must adhere to CAR 900.06 and ensure they do not operate their RPA in such a reckless or negligent manner as to endanger or be likely to endanger aviation safety or the safety of any person. While there are no prescriptive elements of the regulation that inform the pilot how to accomplish this objective, there is an expectation that the pilot of a micro RPAS should use good judgment, identify potential hazards, and take all necessary steps to mitigate any risks associated with the operation. This should include having an understanding of the environment in which the RPA pilot is operating, with particular attention paid to the possibility of aircraft or people being in the same area."

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54