DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic mini range

LankALank

Reactions
Mavic mini range
I recently purchased a Mavic mini and I haven’t been able to get it out past 7700 feet that was with the range boosters a.k.a. parabolic range boosters so how would I go about getting better range With the FCC version

• Wow
Reactions: pelagic_one
That’s almost a mile and a half. How far do you want or need to go? The mini is boasted to go up to 4 km, approximately 2.5 miles. I’ m sure that’s under ideal conditions. That kind of distance is not only outside of FAA regulations (LOS) but is risky with the mini. Just my 2cents.

Reactions: Gkinghrn
I understand I should be happy with the distance I’ve been able to reach.i had spotters to help me reach the mile and a half.but I don’t want to break any laws so I’ll be happy with what I’ve achieved.thank u for making me realize that lol

Mavic mini range
I recently purchased a Mavic mini and I haven’t been able to get it out past 7700 feet that was with the range boosters a.k.a. parabolic range boosters so how would I go about getting better range With the FCC version

By changing out the antennas. 4Hawks have several options as do Alientech as well as others. Covert Drones in Mn is one of the people that offer these services and modifications that some friends have used but there are several others around.

By changing out the antennas. 4Hawks have several options as do Alientech as well as others. Covert Drones in Mn is one that some friends have used but there are several others around.
I think I remember seeing alien tech On YouTube applying antennas into a DJI controller

I recently watched a you tube video of a lecture given to a group.of people preparing to take the pilot test. The lecturer was from the FAA. One thing he said was that a spotter working with.a pilot must be within earshot of the pilot. He cannot be down range using a radio or phone to communicate. I haven’t researched the rule, but thought that was interesting.

If anyone else has knowledge of that rule please chime in.

I recently watched a you tube video of a lecture given to a group.of people preparing to take the pilot test. The lecturer was from the FAA. One thing he said was that a spotter working with.a pilot must be within earshot of the pilot. He cannot be down range using a radio or phone to communicate. I haven’t researched the rule, but thought that was interesting.

Useful knowledge thank u I will be more careful on the distance I fly

You are correct. communication cannot be aided in any way, spotter and pilot have to be in direct verbal communication. that is what I read on the FAA website.

Respectfully,

Mavic mini range

2.3km is quite good, it all depends on conditions and interference, there are a lot of variables. I managed to fly 5km over the lake, made it back to shore with 3% battery, would not recommend that. Trees, cellphone antennas, wi-fi home routers, etc all create interference. Flying higher helps, but you are limited to 100m and even that is high for MM on an average day, just too windy to fly safely at those altitudes. A lot of stars have to align to make that perfect run also check KP index on the given day. Having said all that without knowing flight path details, 2.3km is quite good. Around my house, I can go maybe 800m max.

Reactions: LankALank
2.3km is quite good, it all depends on conditions and interference, there are a lot of variables. I managed to fly 5km over the lake, made it back to shore with 3% battery, would not recommend that. Trees, cellphone antennas, wi-fi home routers, etc all create interference. Flying higher helps, but you are limited to 100m and even that is high for MM on an average day, just too windy to fly safely at those altitudes. A lot of stars have to align to make that perfect run also check KP index on the given day. Having said all that without knowing flight path details, 2.3km is quite good. Around my house, I can go maybe 800m max.
I just like testing in the mavic mini to see how far I can get it but at the same time I see all these videos of people losing their Mac mini due to flyaways so I probably won’t be venturing out that far ever again LOL that picture that I sent of 7700 Feet was flown before I seen all these flyaway videos of the mavic mini.But I’m guessing I could get the whole 2 1/2 miles if I tried just saying LOL

I just like testing in the mavic mini to see how far I can get it but at the same time I see all these videos of people losing their Mac mini due to flyaways so I probably won’t be venturing out that far ever again LOL that picture that I sent of 7700 Feet was flown before I seen all these flyaway videos of the mavic mini.But I’m guessing I could get the whole 2 1/2 miles if I tried just saying LOL

Easly, at the right time in the right spot: (notice zero wind, but wind warnings after going for a long time in S mode) picking the right spot is the hardest part.

1582089895676.png

I would just try and make myself a 5.8ghz Yagi adapter for my Mini's controller, also I'll make one for the 2.4ghz so that I have over 5 to 6 km of stable video and control. It is very directional, yes, quite have to aim well but the distance you can reach with such a simple "add-on" to the antennas is absolutely amazing! I had to read up on it as I did not believe this one guy. He said he go 1800m with a CE Mini (only meant to go 500m) in 5.8ghz mode with the Yagi adapter!

So Now I really wanna make that, but I don't have a 3D printer so it is really difficult for me to make a quality one, as the frequency has to resonate correctly to have maximum effectiveness!

I've tried to attach files of what I want to 3D print but could not due to not allowed extension, and they are ".obj" files. I'll get the Parabolic Reflector range extender for starters. I really think I can also makes me a home made one - no sure how well it will work. But the Yagi man, the Yagi antenna is an amazing way of extending the range by a lot really, even thought it is directional, it's pretty easy when the drone is so far out as the beam spreads out in the distance.

cool..

Please help me if you think of a way to make a Yagi adapter somehow without a 3D printer, maybe with wood or something else!

Anyway, I'll most definitely be making me a Yagi adapter, 2 of them, but first I want the 5.8ghz one for sure, for the city - it would be so awesome, just directing all that power in one somewhat narrow beam of energy towards the Mini which I will switch to FCC mode via the FCC Hack so that it also gives its best also when it comes to transmitting to the controller.

Although I've seen a guy get to like 20km in one flight, 20km distance in one go, and the only modification on the drone is the extra batteries! He got 20 km because the battery was low! A nice ground station can control the mini far far with video and all coming in crystal clear from the Mini! The Yagi is not so good, but it worth a try.

:)

cool cool...

I would just try and make myself a 5.8ghz Yagi adapter for my Mini's controller, also I'll make one for the 2.4ghz so that I have over 5 to 6 km of stable video and control. It is very directional, yes, quite have to aim well but the distance you can reach with such a simple "add-on" to the antennas is absolutely amazing! I had to read up on it as I did not believe this one guy. He said he go 1800m with a CE Mini (only meant to go 500m) in 5.8ghz mode with the Yagi adapter!

So Now I really wanna make that, but I don't have a 3D printer so it is really difficult for me to make a quality one, as the frequency has to resonate correctly to have maximum effectiveness!

I've tried to attach files of what I want to 3D print but could not due to not allowed extension, and they are ".obj" files. I'll get the Parabolic Reflector range extender for starters. I really think I can also makes me a home made one - no sure how well it will work. But the Yagi man, the Yagi antenna is an amazing way of extending the range by a lot really, even thought it is directional, it's pretty easy when the drone is so far out as the beam spreads out in the distance.

cool..

Please help me if you think of a way to make a Yagi adapter somehow without a 3D printer, maybe with wood or something else!

Anyway, I'll most definitely be making me a Yagi adapter, 2 of them, but first I want the 5.8ghz one for sure, for the city - it would be so awesome, just directing all that power in one somewhat narrow beam of energy towards the Mini which I will switch to FCC mode via the FCC Hack so that it also gives its best also when it comes to transmitting to the controller.

Although I've seen a guy get to like 20km in one flight, 20km distance in one go, and the only modification on the drone is the extra batteries! He got 20 km because the battery was low! A nice ground station can control the mini far far with video and all coming in crystal clear from the Mini! The Yagi is not so good, but it worth a try.

:)

cool cool...
why you need 20 km, or even 2??? you have 30 min in ideal conditions - a little bit of wind and you are screwed at such distances or if you somehow lose connection. you are flying to cover ground or to make pictures/videos?

why you need 20 km, or even 2??? you have 30 min in ideal conditions - a little bit of wind and you are screwed at such distances or if you somehow lose connection. you are flying to cover ground or to make pictures/videos?

I'm trying to have fun and fly the way I like bro! I actually don't really like going very far as it is pretty scary, but for sure I would want my Mavic Mini to fly 2km or even 3km in 2.4ghz mode & I want 1km in 5.8ghz mode. You can safely fly the CE Mini to over 4.5km, then once there you can take some pictures and just mess about for like a minute or two, and you will still have enough battery to make it back. Obviously if there is too much wind you should just simply calculate how far out you can go, and I always plan all my flights, so that will be enjoyable to do. To work out more a less when I'll have to turn back with the current wind situation, so that I can safely make it back. To be honest I don't like flying my Mini when there is wind!

You've probably seen in my videos that I like to fly when it is dead calm outside, else I'll just enjoy my little Mini with some indoors flying(which I do every day at least one battery for indoors flight). So when there is no wind at all, or very little wind like less than 10km/h then I really would like to test my drone. I would love to make a video of me flying 2km away from home, just buzzing around Sofia Center, and Sofia City with a 2km or even 3km range radius around my apartment sounds awesome!

I'm flying for fun, not to cover ground, not to make videos! I make videos for fun purely, and to enjoy them myself with my family. I share some videos online as I'm a member of a flight crew here in Bulgaria and they all want to see. You know people don't need a reason to fly, I fly because I enjoy flying! I fly my 3D 6CH helicopters also all the time, every single day. Also now that Spring is around the corner I'll be flying my 3D micro airplane, my XK Innovations A430 airplane! I'll be doing lots of flying! I'll probably even use the Mini to make videos of me flying my helicopters, was thinking about that these days. It's like an extension to my micro 3D 6CH helicopters!

So the distance is definitely a must for me! I want to have solid video and exceptional control of the Mini at 2km distance, in Sofia City! I'm not asking for too much, just 2km in the city and maybe 3km to 3.5km in a rural area! I'll most definitely be making me and using a Yagi adapter for my 5.8ghz channels antenna, and I'll make use of the parabolic reflector, I may even use the parabolic reflector as my main or secondary reflector element for the Yagi adapter! Also I'll obviously be FCC Hacking my CE version Mini, so it thinks it is in the US before take off. I know it wont get the 4km the FCC models can reach, but if I get 1km or just over that in 5.8ghz I'll be super happy.

In the city where there is so much interference I think that the idea of using a Yagi adapter and a parabolic reflector is an excellent one! I really don't mind having to aim at the drone a bit, as long as I'm concentrating all that energy in the right direction and reaching communications with the Mini!

Currently, a few days ago when I was doing my "200m above Sofia" video I had signal loss, like an altogether loss - no connection at all and RTH initiated. I was about 70m distance out & 200m high. I had the FCC Hack enabled, and even though it was really easy to lose signal at such short distances!

PS: would love to be able to fly 2km out safely with rock solid video feed and perfect controls. I would film my city so sweetly, I'd see it from a bird's eye view and it will be awesome!

cool cool

I'm trying to have fun and fly the way I like bro!

Would you fly your 3D Heli 2km away? The MM is very hard to spot at distances beyond 100 meters already.

Just because the DJI technology enables stupid stuff, you are not supposed to actually do it.

I compare this to videos of guys shooting AK's straight up in the sky at weddings or whatever festivities are going on.

Can it be done? Yes. Are they trying to have fun? Seems like. Is it smart or safe? Neither...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803