DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini Reviews--- Why aren't they comparing to the Mavic Air? .. and.... strange marketing.

I thought that is what he was referring to. I stand corrected.

BTW, check this at about 10:00 or so ... Yeeesh:

what about the tracking feature ? does it have follow me feature ? no one mentioned it ... its kind of deal breaker

No it has not. Only as part of the smart modes, to keep you in view. But not as a dedicated feature.

As a former Mavic Air owner who suffered a sudden loss of power over a lake in Iceland, most likely due to a dislodged battery, I'm happy to see that the Mini's battery slot into a compartment and seem a lot more secure.

I'm interested in the noise level of this drone, as that was one of the complaints I had about the Mavic Air. Hard to get a good idea when every YT video is click-baity nonsense from "influencers" (man, I hate that word, feels dirty typing it).

Also disappointed that DJI seemingly went out of their way to neuter this drone in ways that had nothing to do with weight reduction. Examples would be lack of Active Tracking (it's there, being used on some Quick Shots), lack of manual camera controls and watered down Quick Shot selection.

If Litchi or another developer can tap into this and realize it's true potential, I'll get one. If not, although I somewhat understand the business case for limiting the drone's functionality, as a consumer I refuse to support that with my hard earned money.

Reactions: Shon
I suspect, like they did for the features initially missing in M2, they'll be added in a future firmware update, as long as it doesn't need more CPU processing power to do it.

What we see on youtube is no longer "reviews" or "unboxing" ... they are paid spots by "influencers" which get benefits in free product and/or a check, straight up.
The days of being a casual youtuber and making a little beer money are gone, so you either have to bend to shady practices, like letting the item owners direct your content, or sign off on what you will not say, in order to get free product and a check in your name.
In the olden days, when the criteria let every average joe make a little money by ads placements .... you could give a negative review without repercussions. NOWWWWW ... you may lose the money given to you, lose subscribers/likes, your account could drop below the stringent 'super-star' levels of view time & subbers .... and leave you a nobody. So, there's some insight as to what we've come to expect from honest everyday youtubers, compared to what we have now.
It's a cheap way for manufacturers to 'invest' in marketing. You won't see paid-for ads on big sites by DJI ...for some reason China vendors like to use back-door 'buddy' advertising, and I'm guessing it's because people will work for a month on marketing if they get the latest drone for free. #standards #ethics

EDIT;
Also, take note at all the funky links to "buy one now". They will be something like www.dji.com/store/drones/?2ksk4_ksal@ .... that last part is a referral. These 'reviewers' are making money everytime someone that has visited their affiliate link, then goes and buys it. (cookies get placed for referral, even if you don't purchase directly from that link)
So, there is a lot of incentive for the people we've come to trust to say positive things, and sway you into a sale ... they're now salesmen, not reviewers.

Last edited:
Well, €399 price tag for a ..ehm, toy is far too much, for less you can get much better specs drone with spare batts and accessories ..so Mini will end his life pretty soon

Well, €399 price tag for a ..ehm, toy is far too much, for less you can get much better specs drone with spare batts and accessories ..so Mini will end his life pretty soon
I'm interested on this, could you give some example of that alternatives?

Thanks in advance!

Check Hubsan Zino mate
But the Hubsan Zino is double the weight of the Mini, every dron that is over 250gr get different regulations on most of countries.

In Spain in example you cannot fly on cities or over places with people if the drone is more than 250gr.

The point of the mini are the 249gr.

As a former Mavic Air owner who suffered a sudden loss of power over a lake in Iceland, most likely due to a dislodged battery, I'm happy to see that the Mini's battery slot into a compartment and seem a lot more secure.

I'm interested in the noise level of this drone, as that was one of the complaints I had about the Mavic Air. Hard to get a good idea when every YT video is click-baity nonsense from "influencers" (man, I hate that word, feels dirty typing it).

Also disappointed that DJI seemingly went out of their way to neuter this drone in ways that had nothing to do with weight reduction. Examples would be lack of Active Tracking (it's there, being used on some Quick Shots), lack of manual camera controls and watered down Quick Shot selection.

If Litchi or another developer can tap into this and realize it's true potential, I'll get one. If not, although I somewhat understand the business case for limiting the drone's functionality, as a consumer I refuse to support that with my hard earned money.
The mavic air battery is secure. You are supposed to test that it has clocked on before take off.

What we see on youtube is no longer "reviews" or "unboxing" ... they are paid spots by "influencers" which get benefits in free product and/or a check, straight up.
The days of being a casual youtuber and making a little beer money are gone, so you either have to bend to shady practices, like letting the item owners direct your content, or sign off on what you will not say, in order to get free product and a check in your name.
In the olden days, when the criteria let every average joe make a little money by ads placements .... you could give a negative review without repercussions. NOWWWWW ... you may lose the money given to you, lose subscribers/likes, your account could drop below the stringent 'super-star' levels of view time & subbers .... and leave you a nobody. So, there's some insight as to what we've come to expect from honest everyday youtubers, compared to what we have now.
It's a cheap way for manufacturers to 'invest' in marketing. You won't see paid-for ads on big sites by DJI ...for some reason China vendors like to use back-door 'buddy' advertising, and I'm guessing it's because people will work for a month on marketing if they get the latest drone for free. #standards #ethics

EDIT;
Also, take note at all the funky links to "buy one now". They will be something like www.dji.com/store/drones/?2ksk4_ksal@ .... that last part is a referral. These 'reviewers' are making money everytime someone that has visited their affiliate link, then goes and buys it. (cookies get placed for referral, even if you don't purchase directly from that link)
So, there is a lot of incentive for the people we've come to trust to say positive things, and sway you into a sale ... they're now salesmen, not reviewers.
Totally agree. I bought a Mavic Pro, then a M2P, a step change, so sold the MP.

To be fair to DJI they do have a nice comparison of the Mavic range on their website, the Mini being the starter, and the Mavic 2 the top dog.

I would recommend the Mavic Mini for beginners for the price and a taste of some of the features of the more expensive Mavics in the range.

The mavic air battery is secure. You are supposed to test that it has clocked on before take off.

Not to derail this thread, but the battery clicked into place, the drone took off, flew for a couple of minutes then suffered a sudden loss of power and dropped out of the sky. Kind folks here reviewed the logs, likely explanation being battery disconnected. Several other cases like that, with the Air and even Mavic 2 models.

It is a flying GoPro 3 Black. If that will work for you, then buy one. Otherwise, look farther up the Mavic line.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keith J