DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini RTH incident

Paleomanjim

Reactions
Thought I would share this, shows what can happen when signal from controller to Mavic Mini is lost by the shoulder of a mountain. In this case, my RTH was set to 400', much lower than the mountain top. I did not expect signal loss because I was flying above the mountain. However, I got too low to the ground and the shoulder of the mountain blocked the signal and triggered an automatic Return To Home. Be sure to watch the Flag fly over afterward, very strange guy playing Peekaboo??

Close one.
It has just brought a question to mind, if the max ceiling was high enough and the hill's shoulder had, in the homeward direction of travel, a gradual, note gradual, climb to more than the RTH height, would the downwards looking sensors force the drone over the RTH height?
My driveway climbs and the mini can be flown up the slope using just the forward stick and the vision sensors, admittedly I do this slowly but..........

Have to be careful with RTH with mountains. I made a flight in the hills and hit RTH and drone came straight back, but there was a mountain in the way I'd gone around!

Reactions: SW_Drone_Guy
Guy was probably warming up for an abseil

That was a super cool video... and great flying!
What are you using for a monitor? I don't have the...required..b.... to fly that low that far away with my 6S

Thought I would share this, shows what can happen when signal from controller to Mavic Mini is lost by the shoulder of a mountain. In this case, my RTH was set to 400', much lower than the mountain top. I did not expect signal loss because I was flying above the mountain. However, I got too low to the ground and the shoulder of the mountain blocked the signal and triggered an automatic Return To Home. Be sure to watch the Flag fly over afterward, very strange guy playing Peekaboo??

Drone footage of BIG FOOT! Awesome!

I figured he was doing jumping jacks??? Or he was trying to be caught by a camera (not yours) in mid-jump?

Close one.
It has just brought a question to mind, if the max ceiling was high enough and the hill's shoulder had, in the homeward direction of travel, a gradual, note gradual, climb to more than the RTH height, would the downwards looking sensors force the drone over the RTH height?
My driveway climbs and the mini can be flown up the slope using just the forward stick and the vision sensors, admittedly I do this slowly but..........
Think you’re right but Tricky with mini. P mode it would follow the gradual rise but smack the first thing in it’s way. Not very forgiving for a beginner drone.

Final image from Mavic Mini just before impact from todays flight at 18mph. DJI Fly App "Find my Drone" did not work! More to come.....

Attachments

• crash 1.jpg
    crash 1.jpg
    552.1 KB · Views: 81
  • crash 2.jpg
    crash 2.jpg
    449.8 KB · Views: 82
  • crash 3.jpg
    crash 3.jpg
    421.2 KB · Views: 78
Reactions: RMS001
Wha? TF. More? LOL
Hope you found it.
Found it. No damage at all! 95% of everything out there is gravel and rock, but she managed to find a pillow bush to hit (Actually a Creosote bush with springy branches). The challenge was finding it 1600' away using only video footage from the cell phone, strangely it was actually kind of enjoyable. Battery was at 90% at impact, but air temps near 100F and she powered off 10 minutes later, not sure why, I'm guessing battery got too hot. Was a good learning experience and got some video I'll try to share in a few days.

Reactions: CatsFPV
More to come.....
After reading this and watching the video, my guess leans towards a few more of the same. Your center parts are larger than mine.
Altitude is my friend.
(but it does look fun!)

that was a great video. ive pretty much played every golf course in las vegas over the years and that looks like rio secco to me. last time i played there the winds were crazy.

that was a great video. ive pretty much played every golf course in las vegas over the years and that looks like rio secco to me. last time i played there the winds were crazy.

Thanks. It is Red Rock Country Club. The whole area use to be owned by Howard Hughes back in the day.

Reactions: rhexis
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada