DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MAVIC MINI SHELL DAMAGE

malbowski85

Reactions
So i've sent my Mini off to get a repair quote from Heliguy who i bought it from. They are an official DJI seller etc. Basically they are saying a small crack in the top is essential work whereas I was going to smooth it over myself (pop the indented plastic back into place, glue/epoxy resin, sand etc). They want £30 for the part and another £30 for the labour even though all they are doing is putting the (new) top back on after they've repaired the main injury; the snapped arm. Feel like telling them to just fix the arm and give me it back. The middle part of the shell has a hole in the front and they have deemed that to only be a recommendation...

Is there any real problem with fixing the shell as best i can? Can't see it affecting the flight at all. The crack is about 1cm long and the hole is 2 or 3 mm squared. Tiny really

TIA

Should not affect. You can even install a skin, or wetsuit and cover the hole in that way. I guess I saw your case before.

To judge the crack we would one to see a photo of it, the top cover is structural. I have handled and flown a mini with the top cover removed, there is noticeably more flex in the middle shell with the top cover removed.
Additionally there are reinforcing webs molded into the top cover, they are there for a reason, if a crack transects one of those the strength of the cover could be compromised.

With regards to the labour charge, are you certain that the £30 is not for all the work required to replace the arm. The top cover MUST be removed to gain access to the solder joints connecting the arm/motor wiring to its circuit board. The bottom cover and heat sink must be removed to gain access to the antenna wiring's pop off connector.

There are numerous videos on youtube showing this.

Reactions: malbowski85
To judge the crack we would one to see a photo of it, the top cover is structural. I have handled and flown a mini with the top cover removed, there is noticeably more flex in the middle shell with the top cover removed.
Additionally there are reinforcing webs molded into the top cover, they are there for a reason, if a crack transects one of those the strength of the cover could be compromised.

With regards to the labour charge, are you certain that the £30 is not for all the work required to replace the arm. The top cover MUST be removed to gain access to the solder joints connecting the arm/motor wiring to its circuit board. The bottom cover and heat sink must be removed to gain access to the antenna wiring's pop off connector.

There are numerous videos on youtube showing this.
The labour charge is defo an extra £30 just to fit a new cover. They will be putting the old one back on free of charge. Typical consumer electronics giant. Money money money. I will check the reinforcing webs and make a decision. I've gone for just the arm repair

The labour charge is defo an extra £30 just to fit a new cover. They will be putting the old one back on free of charge. Typical consumer electronics giant. Money money money. I will check the reinforcing webs and make a decision. I've gone for just the arm repair
Not trying to defend the charges here but the labour charge (or inspection charge as its also called) is a standard for DJI. Also, many countries air safety authorities (CAA, CASA, FAA) now require logs to be kept of key parts replaced by authorised service agents. That log is attached to the #no of individual drones , or at least should be, even for small recreational drones. Apparently DJI has a policy requiring this. Here in Australia they take photos of the damage and also attach that to the log for potential accident investigation purposes should it be needed. In this respect the CAA, CASA, FAA etc treat drones the same as any other aircraft and require maintenance logs to be kept by authorised servicing agents. Whether they do is a different matter. In Australia that is certainly the case. Also, service agents are normally required to conduct flight tests after repairs. All this takes time and resources.

Just make sure that you take it out for a few short range test flights before doing any longer range stuff, Directly below the case is the main board and any minute cracks or undetected damage in that can take time to show up as faults such as loss of control / telemetry / video etc as happened to my mini after I damaged an arm. Do some simple flying control checks on a few flying trips. Should be ok but be on the lookout. Hope its all ok and happy flying.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkyTechDji