DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini shooting upwards while hovering with no control input.

teeroy

Reactions
I flew the mini after I bought it with no issues, after selling to a friend he has experienced a flyaway of sorts, but it only went straight up without any stick input. He got it to come down using the left stick, and when it was about 15 feet off the ground hovering it took off again, straight up. It never drifted at all, and he let it go for a while to see if it would stop. It got to around 300 feet before he again used the control to bring it back down. Is it simply radio interference or is it something more serious? Thanks for any insight or suggestions. I do not have access to logs or flight data at the moment.

I would ask him for the logs.
How far from the home point was he and could he have triggered an RTH with a very high return height? Something triggering the landing protection and forcing it up?
All guess work really without the logs.

I would ask him for the logs.
How far from the home point was he and could he have triggered an RTH with a very high return height? Something triggering the landing protection and forcing it up?
All guess work really without the logs.
Thanks, great suggestion.

Check the bottom sensors, dirty sensors or a sensor malfunction could cause that behavior.

Reactions: teeroy
Is it simply radio interference or is it something more serious?
When you're able to access it, check out the TXT flight log to see if it explains what happened. You can upload and view it online here. If you'd like other people to review and comment on your flight log, then please post a link back here after you upload it.

Is it simply radio interference or is it something more serious?
You can cross radio interference off your list.
That won't ever make your drone fly off uncontrolled.
What actually happened will be obvious from the flight data.

There has been a recent report on exactly the same problem : Fly away immediately at launch. In that case the problem seems to be due to the bottom sensor running into an abnormal state causing the flight controller to believe that there was constantly an obstcale 1 meter beneath the drone. As the result, the drone kept ascending to avoid it. The problem went away after the drone was power reset. Posting your log will help to identify the real reasons.

1606107057459.png

Reactions: Otisangb
There has been a recent report on exactly the same problem : Fly away immediately at launch. In that case the problem seems to be due to the bottom sensor running into an abnormal state causing the flight controller to believe that there was constantly an obstcale 1 meter beneath the drone. As the result, the drone kept ascending to avoid it. The problem went away after the drone was power reset. Posting your log will help to identify the real reasons.

View attachment 117699

If this is what happened in this case. Would disabling VPS or Sport Mode be a valid emergency procedure?

If this is what happened in this case. Would disabling VPS or Sport Mode be a valid emergency procedure?
Disabling VPS would work in that situation but it's not possible in the Mini or the other Mavics released since it was.

Most likely the sensors blocked but possibly the sticks could need calibration. They would have to be a ways off for it to do that though. Easy to do in-app.

Disabling VPS would work in that situation but it's not possible in the Mini or the other Mavics released since it was.
Really, wow. I haven’t used the Fly app, but so far I’ve not liked what I’ve seen. But that is a total show stopper for me.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
derekleeth