DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini vs Mavic Air 2

each drone in the DJI line up offers something different ,at a different price point,and different performance
the cost is relative to the spec of the model concerned,and in the case of the MA2 DJI have tried to make it more compact size wise compared to larger mavics
and have tried to answer some of the requests for improvements, that consumers have made over the life of the mavic brand
i have a MPP which i find does everything i want from a drone at the moment ,and was lucky enough to receive a MM as a gift
they are both capable fliers,for different reasons, and really the MA2 is almost a combination of the two, and if i did not own my MPP, then for the price, it would have been a great deal
compared to the cost of the M2P or zoom

I had a MM which I loved but sold it and got the MA2.

For me the difference is night and day but at double the price it’s to be expected and that’s not to say the MM is bad.

Main reason for upgrading was OccuSync, 4K and a bit more confidence to fly on a windy day.

Last edited:
What is your experience comparing Mini's WiFi and OccuSync from Air 2?
Is it huge difference?

Yeah it really is.

It easily doubles the distance but more importantly the feed doesn’t cut out - it’s super stable. The 1080 vs 720 is also nice but not reason enough of course.

I have both....Travel weight is important to me. And there is a noticeable weight difference between the two. Several factors to consider.....for example some world airlines closely monitor an 8kg carry-on limit. I don't put any electronics in checked luggage. Or I am going to carry a backpack a good distance (although my knees are working against me now days) the lightweight mini is great.

Reactions: ff22
My 2 cents, I currently own both. I started with the Mini and got hooked on drones. My biggest complaint with the Mini is the limitations in the wind. I was also very cautious about flying it in the wind after hearing all of the stories about blow-aways. Once the Air 2 released I jumped on ordering one with the intention of keeping both. After 2 flights with the Air 2 I’m going to be selling the Mini. The Air 2 has so much more power, better performance in the wind that I can’t see myself flying the Mini again and am actually going to put it up for sale soon. I had the Air 2 up in a wind I normally wouldn’t have taken the mini out in and had a perfect flight, no high wind warnings at all. Very happy with my upgrade.

My 2 cents, I currently own both. I started with the Mini and got hooked on drones. My biggest complaint with the Mini is the limitations in the wind. I was also very cautious about flying it in the wind after hearing all of the stories about blow-aways. Once the Air 2 released I jumped on ordering one with the intention of keeping both. After 2 flights with the Air 2 I’m going to be selling the Mini. The Air 2 has so much more power, better performance in the wind that I can’t see myself flying the Mini again and am actually going to put it up for sale soon. I had the Air 2 up in a wind I normally wouldn’t have taken the mini out in and had a perfect flight, no high wind warnings at all. Very happy with my upgrade.

This was literally why I upgraded. I live in the U.K. so it’s always windy lol! Hated being constantly worried about the wind and it’s implications on the MM. I appreciate wind affects all drones but MM due to its size, lightweight and reduced power, it seems more susceptible.

The bonus of OccuSync and 4K was just that and not necessarily the reason I went ahead and upgraded.

I don’t think they should be compared as it’s an unfair comparison. Instead you should list out reasons for and against upgrading and then make a decision.

Last edited:
I would have bought the MA2 if DJI wouldn’t have built it so large. The controller plus the MA2 have alsmost the same dimensions as the Mavic pro.

I wish DJI would builda just slightly larger Mini (I don’t care about the weight limit) with occusync andmore speed. I would even pay 30% more for it.

I owned almost all Mavics, but the size of the Mini makes me take it with me much more often than the larger Versions.

A complete Desaster is the controller size of the MA2.

Cheers,
Alexander
Munich/Germany

I've owned my MM for a little while now and I'm pretty satisfied with it. I have however been looking at the Mavic Air 2 and I'm wondering just how big an upgrade it is from the MM. Is it really worth twice the money? What's your opinion?
I have an MM and when the M2 came out I bought it. I have had it for less than a week, yet I have enjoyed the new features and speed.
The reason I bought it was to get the avoidance and follow me feature, I didn't read the specs well enough to realize I now need a license to fly it. I thought it was the MM with newer features and still classified as a toy.
I'm glad I bought it, as I live in somewhat a windy area and the M2 holds up better.

I'll keep this short and simple.

I currently own both the Mavic Mini and the Mavic Air 2. MM was my first DJI drone. The MA2 is a huge upgrade from the MM. More solid build, more features, more capable. The specs are all out there to compare.

At the end of the day it comes down to the individual. What are you looking for, how much do you want to spend? That is what will determine the purchase.

Will I keep the MM? I'm not sure. I was planning to, but now I'm not sure. As a pointer to what may happen, shortly after I got the MM, I bought a Tello, thinking I'd fly it indoors and just for quick outdoor flights. After I played around with it for a little while, it just sat on the shelf, as the MM got all the attention. I sold it.

Remember, this is all just my opinion.

If I do get the MA2 it will be primarily for the avoidance technology and distance improvements. Unless I'm out in a very open field I'm lucky to get more than 1,100 feet away from launch point.

Most answers are already provided in this thread. I have the MM, the MA and the MA2. I love the MM for the portability and a fairly good video and image quality combined with really good battery life. The whole thing fits in a small box and easy for me to carry in my back pack when im on the road riding my motorcycle. It is also easier for me to carry when I’m traveling as most countries dont have an issue due to the 249g weight. The latest firmware update also provides more image control. However, i find the light weight could be a bit of an issue in windy conditions. I also get a signal drop at about 150-200ft height and about 100ft distance. Never had an issue but makes me nervous when the video feed starts to struggle.
The MA2 is a beast in comparison. Technology, its effortless handling, quick response, amazing HD video feed and the signal hasnt dropped once during my usage. It fits in a slightly larger bag that might not be the best in a backpack on a motorcycle. Using the MA2 is very confidence inspiring... so much that i fear doing something silly ?

At the end, like everyone else said, the worth depends on what you want the drone to do for you.

Reactions: Webcruise
Most of my filming will be in, on, or around small lakes so portability is a big factor for me. Add to that the doubling of the cost with an Air 2, and, in my experience it's best to wait at LEAST 3-6 months after the release of a new product in order for all the bugs to be worked out, new firmware, etc.. I've flown my mini in 15-20mph winds a couple times now and had zero problems--though I am limiting altitude to +/-100' and no more than a couple hundred yards distance as this suits my needs perfectly for my kayaking videos, sunset/sunrise vids and pics, etc. 80% of my flights will be during flat calm conditions as this is best (to me) for gorgeous water shots. Lastly, I'm really not fond of registering with the government, so the mini fits that bill quite nicely :)

Worth noting that this is my first drone.

I'll take another look next Spring, by then all the bugs should be worked out of the Air 2, the price will probably be lower, and, there may be a new model or two (Air 3? Mini 2?) with even better features.

Reactions: ff22
If the EU rules coming in 2021 significantly change the drone regulations where I live or if I change country in the near future, I would consider seriously to get an Air2 for the better image sensor in a reasonable size . Until then MM is the only way..... and fits the limited space on my bicycle quite well.

I like my Mini so much I decided to get the MA2. The camera upgrade wasn’t important to me. The OcuSync 2.0, higher wind capabilities and operating temperature -10° to 40°C (14° to 104°F) were selling points.
Well said! I love my mini but am tempted by the Air2 for the above reasons.

dude..
you get better range.
You get real time video high quality most of the time, improves your handling.
You get 2 times better wind resistance.
faster drone.
tracking
sensors downl, front, back. collision avoidance.

if you can pay it. do it. I have both I will keep the mini because, it is more portable. But might sell it, I have not use it for weeks.

I have the MM and love it, most posts here have already covered the reasons I am purchasing a MA2 In the next few days:
-Ocusync 2.0 (apparently 2.0 plus) way stronger signal, I don't live in the city, but fairly congested suburbs of Philadelphia. Lots of wifi, towers, neighborhoods and God knows what else, but at times my mini can break up really badly pretty close to me.
-Wind resistance/power/weight
- Equal or better flight time
- Still plenty small/light for me whether hiking or throwing in the car. Couldn't care less about having to register with FAA and the $5.
- Straws(s) that broke the proverbial camel's back....I spend a LOT of time hiking, playing frisbee and swimming with my dog.
A: Trying to capture close up frisbee catches (let alone actually follow him out while frisbee is flying) is near impossible. When I do get decent footage, I can't zoom in and slow it down enough to get a halfway decent vid..this goes against many comments here (4k, I couldn't really care less about) for MY purposes, the 1080p at 120 or 240 fps. Is HUGE!! Slow mo should be excellent! Especially compared to the mini (currently only drone I own).
B: Related to A: unless someone is controlling the drone and I'm throwing frisbee or visa v....the only way to get frisbee shot is to hover in profile, toward or away from the throw... no following and hard to get close. Swimming not so bad..i mean he can prolly only swim 3mph and I get the ball way out in the water, so cool shots there. However, to be able to have the drone follow him... MAYBE circle around him if it's quick enough on initial acceleration) and get those slow mo shots clearly, plus now I can be in the pics and videos with the dog so people aren't just seeing the dog all the time. I also do a lot of skiing and motorcycling (on and off road)... i think the follow me, poi and some other capabilities - combined with the slow mo capability will be WAAAAAY better than the MM in general, and specifically for my purposes. Again, as most have mentioned...depends what you'll use it for. I love my mini... but i have a feeling it may not get used much soon. Time will tell. Good luck with any choice you make! ?

Note to above lol ? ⬆
I actually do have friends, but in quarantine....well, it's been he and I.
Completely UNRELATED: sorry if this "jacks" a post or whatever the term is, im not much a "forum" person..but in case anyone is interested... the MM prop hitting the body is no lie. I flew this evening in strong winds, no issue. None. However, a few days ago, in barely breezy condition and in "P" mode, or "N" mode...i was just hovering about 20 ft. up, you could clearly hear plastic on plastic collision sounds. Low and behold, when I brought the MM down there were strike marks from my front right prop on the body and a little sliver out of the prop. I immediately put in a "ticket", "complaint" whatever....into DJI, no response.
NOW, that being said, I had ordered, extra props from best buy, received about 1 week later, which was about 3 weeks ago. However, I ordered props from DJI, I believe in late March....i FINALLY got a tracking number from usps...just saying a pre-ship number was generated about 2 weeks ago....then, just nothing. (Mind you, at time of purchase, the estimated delivery was approx. one week!) Now, about 10 mins ago I received an update that props got to usps and delivery should be some time this week... I am VERY curious to see if the delay has to do with redesigned props....I think on this email...there is an issue with MM deliveries being very delayed from DJI (i know, not uncommon) but I am curious to see if it had/has to do with new prop design...ill keep ya'all posted. Have a great night and great flight. Stay safe!

After reading all these posts I must admit that my interest level in the MA2 has really grown. I'd really like to fly a MA2 now. I'm actually thinking about buying a MA2 and then decide which one to keep.
Thanks for all of the great replies and opinions.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boatdoc