DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini - Was I Unrealistic ?

You have to keep the antennas in line with the drone to keep a good connection. I've had no trouble with mine and it has a very good range. In hindsight I'm glad I bought it to go with my MA2 and it's very quick to hook up a get a quick flight without drawing much attention. Even with it's limitations with the wind it's still a blast to fly and a good drone to learn on. IMHO

Yes - the orientation my antennas are exactly how it is recommended DJI

Reactions: TurboMini
The phone you use may cause interference, so you may try to place it in 'Airplane mode' - then the phone is not sending out any RF signals. Same for any other phone or tablet you carry - anything that uses cell of Wifi.
If that doesn't help let someone make a video that you lose contact while the Mini is still in visual sight. It makes clear that the mini is not fulfilling the spec and DJI should give you a free replacement.

I always fly in Airplane mode - regardless of what I am flying. I never want to be interrupted by a call/text/email/app push notification - etc.

DJI - has already expressed that range isn't a defect therefore it isn't covered

Do you fly 5.8 or 2.4
With my mavic air on 5.8 I can go 600meters
On 2.4 it flies easily 1.2 km
So lock it manually to 2.4ghz
A phone doe not make the connection so the apple android bashers don't have a point
The airplane mode you can try some times I do this too

I've tried with both - unfortunately the range limitation comes with both frequencies

There's a new one. IMU calibration to improve signal. I mean I should tell him try formatting the sd card if this is the kind of advice we are giving for signal loss :).
[
-Airplane mode just before taking off (to allow the maps to cache, this is important) Kill all radios (wifi, BT< everything) if you are using a tablet. If you have a cell phone on you, put it on airplane mode too.
-I leaver the DJI APP transmission settings at their default.
-The flat backside of the antennas must be perpendicular to your control so they can offer the rear flat surface to beam the instructions to the mini and receive the video feed and telemetry back. This is VERY important.
Hope you sort it out. Good luck.

Thank you - so I do the same things you are suggesting here - so you've allowed me to rule out if it's my error and if I was just being ridiculous. I appreciate your help

I thought you said "bought privately". If this is a new unit you should probably be talking to DJI and not us. No need to mess with Care Refresh because this is a straight-up warranty issue. I fly my mini in lots of different environments and I can fly it easily to my visual limits regardless of RF noise, physical obstructions, or anything else I've encountered. Customer service/tech support have always worked with me on any problem I've had with any of my DJI drones and I'm confident they would take care of you. Given your description, I would stop wasting time guessing and go right to the source because clearly it is not operating within normal parameters.

I also wanted to address the issue of intended use. I have a Mavic Pro and now a Mavic Air 2, with the Mini purchased between them. For me the Mini serves a specific purpose for situations where a larger bird would be obtrusive or distracting to the subject(s), or frankly where risk is high and I wouldn't want to lose one of the other birds. I also bring it along in a day pack when I don't plan to fly "just in case". You mentioned the MA2 as a possible Mini replacement. There is a big difference in size and more importantly, sound between the two models. Even with the noise-reducing blade tips, the MA2 is still a lot louder than the Mini. Today I fly the MA2 most but there are often situations where the Mini is a better choice. Think outdoor weddings.

Yes - privately - as in not a store. I bought it sealed in box - never used.

DJI - wasn't helpful at all - they said the issue I am having isn't considered a defect. I wish I had the experience with customer service that you expressed. Maybe I will try and call again hoping to work with someone different.

In response to your explanation on "intended use" - your reasoning/mindset is very similar to me - My mini was meant to be brought with me at all times.

My mindset is - the best drone to have in any situation is the one you actually physically have with you when you want to fly.

There have been many times prior to having the Mini where I was out and either the sunset caught my eye, a storm in the distance that had some cool lightning, a new area where we visited on a day trip and I didn't have anything with me and it bummed me out. By getting the Mini the idea was that if I could always have it on me since it was something smaller and more convenient to grab quick on the go - like yourself - I could put it my bag and have it with me on a hike or in my center console of my truck. That's why I am as disappointed as I am - I simply haven't got the performance I had expected from a DJI product.

On planned days where I knew I was going to fly and the environment called for it I would bring my M2P - but on the days where I was running out for a few hours not knowing if I would come across something or not - I would have the Mini as a just in case.

WiFi is a term used for Routers, Tablets, Smart Phones and other devises associated with IT and the internet etc and they typically have a range of about 50 m and indeed transmit on 2.4 and 5.8 GHz also, but because of other matters their range is limited to about 50m
WiFi is a term for the transmission method and protocols used for routers internet etc, I believe DJi use an internet protocol to package there telemetry data, why re-invent the wheel when security and secure transmission is guarantied, and is all built into WiFi protocols. The only difference is in the packages sent to from the drone and the signal levels, This also allows several transmissions on the same frequency with little interference as each node is addressed and accepts only its own addressed data. While older remote aircraft did not use WiFi protocols and therefore more susceptible to interference. WiFi routers etc are limited in output power to allow more available channels in a given area.

Screenshot_20200901-183443.jpgScreenshot_20200901-183421.jpg

So I keep going back to the whole 2.4 and 5.8 as I think this is the key.

Here is a screen shot of each - I only get 5.8 when I am on Manual (not sure if that is the default) and 2.4 when I am on Auto (again not sure if that is default)

Does anything look out of the norm here? - Does the fact that nothing shows up when I am on 2.4 mean anything or is that part of the setting become obsolete when you are in auto so it doesn't show anything?

According to DJI, the only reason to put your phone into airplane mode is to prevent incoming calls or messages stealing the focus from the Fly app.
There might be a little bit of marketing involved in that statement from DJI. We are holding a reasonably powerful bi-directional WIFI device in our hands, it sends code the the Mini with one antenna and receives code that contains a large amount of data, the video feed and some telemetry info with the other. It stands to reason that the device we use as a display, phone or tablet should have all RF transmit and receive functions turned off. No mobile network traffic, no wifi, no bluetooth, and all you are doing, other than the peace of mind and not getting hassled with notifications is helping out your controller. The less RF there is around the controller, the better it will perform.
One thing I noticed is if there are trees in the way between your drone and yourself, blocking the path for a direct line of sight, the signal goes to the dogs rapidly, even more so with leafy trees. Foliage wreaks havoc with RF and the waves bounce all over the place. 5.8 GHZ hates foliage. So if you are in a small clearing, flying out of it, expect lousy performance.
To do a proper range test, I would get up on a small hill, and fly the drone out, with no obstacles in the line of sight. Ideally, no power line, no cell tower too close and see how far it will go.
If it poops at 100 feet in such conditions, then the RF module on the drone or the remote, or both is wonky. Find somebody that has a mavic mini, do a side by side flight, videotape it and make a huge stink with DJI showing them how MAVIC A, brand new, is crap, while MAVIC B, flys out super far without a hitch in the same circumstances. They owe you a working drone. It could be shoddy manufacturing. From one batch to another, things will not always be consistent with DJI. Don`t give up, get on their case.

Reactions: Rchawks
So the more I play around with manual/auto transmission I see that it won't stay in a 2.4 at all. almost always within a few second it goes to 5.8

Okay - Wanted to give a quick update - contacted DJI again - they are telling me to send it in for diagnosis.

I have Care Refresh so i'm not concerned there, plus it's only been activated for a month now.

My concern is that they won't be able to recreate the issue therefore claiming nothing is wrong with it - I am wondering if I am better off just doing the DJI Care Refresh Express and getting a new drone through that - No questions asked and I get a brand new one.

Any advice?

Okay - so an update.

Sent it in to DJI

They are replacing under warranty the following:

Core Board Module (FCC)
Gimbal Axis Arm Module

Hopefully this solves the issues and I can use this aircraft to it's fullest potential.

Okay - so an update.

Sent it in to DJI

They are replacing under warranty the following:

Core Board Module (FCC)
Gimbal Axis Arm Module

Hopefully this solves the issues and I can use this aircraft to it's fullest potential.
Great news. Enjoy your Mini and fly safe or hard, is a tough little drone.

Hello All -

So I had the chance to pick up a Mavic Mini fly more bundle about a month back - I went ahead and grabbed it thinking it would be a cool little drone to be able to get into tighter areas for some unique shots.

Maybe it's just me, maybe not but I am totally disappointed in this little guy - I barely get a few hundred feet before I get loss of connection and choppy video. To be clear these preliminary flights are in open fields and unobstructed as i wanted to get a feel for the maneuvering before I did any official flights where I was trying to get a shot. I've watched dozens of videos trying to figure out if it's me, a fault drone or a little of both. Still after 3 weeks of fiddling around I can't seem to get more than a few hundred feet without getting that loss of connection or choppy image.

Was I unrealistic with just blindly trusting the DJI logo and the vids online that showed how cool these were?

To note - I am usually flying a Mavic Pro 2 - so my plan was to bounce between the 2 depending on the shot I was looking to get.

Also the device I use is a Samsung Note 10+

The more I hear stories like this. The more I am glad that I didn’t sell my spark. I came close. But backed out on the last minute.

The more I hear stories like this. The more I am glad that I didn’t sell my spark. I came close. But backed out on the last minute.
Never had a spark only ever flew the mavic series but the bigger ones. This was my first smaller series aircraft.

I'm due to get it back from DJI Wednesday so providing the weather is good - Thursday or Friday I'll be testing it and hopefully getting the true mavic mini experience.

Reactions: Platinum 4 ever
Never had a spark only ever flew the mavic series but the bigger ones. This was my first smaller series aircraft.

I'm due to get it back from DJI Wednesday so providing the weather is good - Thursday or Friday I'll be testing it and hopefully getting the true mavic mini experience.

Good luck and let us know how you made out

Alright - so here we are - got my drone back - DJI was nice enough to replace the entire aircraft it seems and not just simply do the repair work like they originally suggested

Reasons I think they swapped me out with a new unit -

1 - entirely new serial number on the aircraft
2 - there was a scratch across the top of my original that is no longer there

Sadly - despite the new aircraft I still have the original issue of not being able to get 2.4 ghz channels which is beyond frustrating because I am back at square 1

So I keep reading that 2.4 ghz channels don't exist when you have an FCC control - so i'm stuck with 5.8 ghz if i understand that correctly - so my distance will be a few hundred feet because that's all i get before i lose connection.

So I keep reading that 2.4 ghz channels don't exist when you have an FCC control - so i'm stuck with 5.8 ghz if i understand that correctly - so my distance will be a few hundred feet because that's all i get before i lose connection.

Yes, the FCC version only has 5.8 GHz - where do you live? However, the FCC versions have a higher transmission power which should compensate for the lack of 2.4 GHz frequencies. If your new drone has the same short range as your old one, it’s more likely to be something related to the environment you’re flying in rather than the drone - the chances of getting two new drones with the same hardware problem is very unlikely.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Poppy52