DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini water take off.

jac1957

Reactions
Just wondering if anyone has actually launched their MM from the surface of a pond. Or landed on water with those pontoon floats.

While possible to do, it is not considered a good idea. Even if successful, the odds of getting water on the lens from the prop wash and ruining a shot are pretty high. Floats should be thought of more as a recovery device in the case of a water accident.

While possible to do, it is not considered a good idea. Even if successful, the odds of getting water on the lens from the prop wash and ruining a shot are pretty high. Floats should be thought of more as a recovery device in the case of a water accident.
That's pretty much what I was thinking. The last thing i want to do is put my drone anywhere near water where it could get a bath.

I bought a water landing gear on Amazon for the Mavic Mini and it was possible to start and land on water, in addition to that I had quite strong wind with 4 Beaufort! The only problem was, that the Drone pushes water up by the the rotors. Next time I will put some tape underneath the drone. Shortly before landing the camera is turned upwards automatically. The camera did not become wet! The next level will be on water with waves!
The whole gear was printed with 3D Printer, (except the 2 floating devices) I had up to 10 landings and the construction seems like to be very robust.

Last edited:
Just my opinion, (and we all know about opinions), but I think this is a bad idea.

I bought a water landing gear ... and it was possible to start and land on water
...in addition to that I had quite strong wind
...The next level will be on water with waves!

Firstly, welcome to the forum ? :D

Well ... even though pontoons like that sounds like a good solution for landing in water in theory, it's usually been those that have caused mishaps.

Think if you continue experimenting with those your next level here at the forum will be in the Mavic Crash & Flyaway Assistance section with a topic like "My Mini blew away" ... or "Drowned my Mini, what can I do to make it work again?"

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom