DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic mini weight

Just out of interest I know it says 249 grams but I put mine on some kitchen scales and I only got 230 grams with 2 lights attached is my scales broke or is the drone under 249 grams that’s stated
For another data point, I just weighed my Mavic Mini (first generation) and the scale flipped between 249 and 250g. I've tested this scale against a calibrated 5 oz weight when weighing my son's Cub Scout pinewood derby cars, and it's accurate, though perhaps not to the last gram.

So I'd guess either your scale is not accurate, or perhaps there's a difference between our drones and/or batteries. When weighed separately, I got 151g for the drone without battery, and 98g for the battery. And the gimbal lock weighs 4g, but it was removed for all of the weighings listed above.

@Zbip57 I read the ICAO data and (not) astonishingly there was no UAV data. It seems to me that when government creates regulations it does so for generally two reasons: 1) Data that would indicate that a problem exists that needs to corrected. 2) Fear. Are they really afraid of UAV injuries from bricks made of M2P's falling from the sky at 57mph into a crowd at an event that has been geofenced anyway??? Or is it something else? I have my opinion.

Just out of interest I know it says 249 grams but I put mine on some kitchen scales and I only got 230 grams with 2 lights attached is my scales broke or is the drone under 249 grams that’s stated
230 with lights attached is a little off. I measured my Mini 2 with two small strobes on the front and as you can see it was just under 249 grams with the lights on and a couple extra patches of velcro on top and bottom. With lights and leg extensions 266.59 grams. My scale is a jewelry scale and purportedly accurate to .01 grams, though it's not been calibrated or certified, but for sure close enough for these purposes.

It seems ridiculous to have to worry about just a few grams that weigh next to nothing, the drone itself weighing next to nothing. But someone with a green eye-shade and a pencil decided we had to. At least here in the US it only costs of $5 and 15 minutes to relieve ourselves (at least for now) of such a senseless regulations and hoops to jump through if we want to fly our Mavic Mini's with a couple strobes and landing gear... or a bigger bird...up to 55 pounds, no less!

1610158417789.png

I get ya. Lots of numbers with virtually zero data.
No data whatsoever. Only some very questionable assumptions.

At the time all the media hype was about supposed near-misses (even mere sightings) between manned aircraft and drones. The FAA was under pressure to do "something". Their knee-jerk response was registration, as though registration will somehow prevent drones from colliding with manned aircraft.

Registration was a done deal. The FAA had already decided that would be the solution to everything. The only question was how to implement it and how to decide what's dangerous enough to require registration versus [safe enough?] not to require registration.

The committee arrived at 250 grams, not based on any actual risk to aircraft, instead based solely on the risk of dropping an object from 500ft into a densely populated urban area. 250 grams was then carved into the stone tablet, and so it was written.

I read the ICAO data and (not) astonishingly there was no UAV data. It seems to me that when government creates regulations it does so for generally two reasons: 1) Data that would indicate that a problem exists that needs to corrected. 2) Fear.
1) Obviously, there's no data. Despite registration we still have reports of near-misses. Despite registration we have incidents like the Gatwick Christmas shutdown. Gov't registration has not ever played a useful role in actual collisions between drones and manned aircraft.

When the Blackhawk helicopter collided with a DJI Phantom off the coast of New York City, the culprit was identified, not by any FAA registration, but by the serial# on the drone's motor tracked back through DJI's own registration.

When the heavy Aeryon SkyRanger surveillance drone brought down an RCMP helicopter here in Canada, it wasn't the drone's registration number that identified the culprit. BOTH the drone and helicopter were being operated by the RCMP themselves.

Despite the bazillions of drones and model aircraft operated daily around the world, there's still zero data to indicate that registration is either necessary or effective.

2) It's all about Fear.

When Canada published our drone regulations there was no justification or risk analysis or data (nothing at all) explaining the choice of 250 grams being the threshold for requiring registration. It's just become the accepted norm. The FAA did it first, everyone else subsequently copied that number. Everyone except Japan. They went with 200 grams, presumably because their "densely populated urban areas" are more densely populated?

The only positive benefit for drone enthusiasts is that, as a direct consequence of that FAA committee report which gave birth to the 250 gram threshold, we can similarly conclude with equal certainty that any object less than 250 grams, with a coefficient of drag equal to a baseball, when dropped from 500ft into a "densely populated urban area" is 70% not likely to result in fatality.

Furthermore, with extended arms and windmilling props, a sub-250 gram drone will certainly have a significantly much higher coefficient of drag than a baseball, and is typically not flown above 400 ft, and is not often flown in a "densely populated urban area", which is usually densely populated with houses and structures protecting their vulnerable occupants.

All that to say, there is very little chance of anyone ever being able to justify further regulation of sub-250 gram drones based on any estimated risk to public safety.

That leaves only Fear.

You just need look to Europe for that. Even sub-250 gram drones need to be registered if they carry a camera, because everyone knows a camera is capable of much greater harm to humanity than an object falling from 500ft.

:eek:

No data whatsoever. Only some very questionable assumptions.
2) It's all about Fear.

:eek:
It appears that you and I are of like minds in this regard. But it appears that, at least in the US the promotion of fear now seems to permeat all aspects of life. And the constant drumming of unfounded fear into people's heads causes them to allow and do things that they might not permit were facts presented rather than speculation or worse... marketing fear around an agenda. So much more to say, I'll stop here except to say that free exchange of ideas is the only true antidote to fear mongering. At least the FAA permitted comments before doing what they had set in their minds to do long before the discussion.

Hey if it’s accurate enough for Pinewood Derby cars it must be dead on accurate... cause I know those Cubs take their cars seriously. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
But of course! Everyone knows 0.1g heavier will win you the race. Aerodynamics and friction have little to do with it. [emoji1][emoji1][emoji1]

My mini ( 1st Gen) weighs 252 grams, I did put a wrap on it, that should not have add3 grams of weight

Here is my Mini on a reasonably accurate scale. It fluctuated between 245 and 246 grams. This was measured just after I got it.

b83dbc4852d6c3c42d8fff127b10fe9b.jpg

Here is what it weighs now with a full load. Options added are; strobe and housing, motor covers, landing gear extensions, Freewell filter, and a skin. Weighs in at 289 grams. Depending on the mission I may drop the landing gear extensions and strobe but it flies with this payload without going into payload mode.

c9949866a87c32b3061648fde845ccdb.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser