DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic mini weight

Ryanmini

Reactions
Just out of interest I know it says 249 grams but I put mine on some kitchen scales and I only got 230 grams with 2 lights attached is my scales broke or is the drone under 249 grams that’s stated

A gram is such a small amount of weight that could easily be a variance from unit to unit. 10 grams is less than 4/10ths of an ounce. Personally I find 250 grams as the cut-off weight for drones a bit ridiculous. Not only is it just over 1/2 pound, but the structure of the drone itself, with thin collapsible arms and relative hollow body provides a shock absorption factor should it hit a human or structure. I could see more of a concern if it were 1/2 pound of lead striking a human at the same same speed... which could be minimal. And don't most jurisdictions prohibit flight over people? So why this arbitrary hard/fast weight stratification that seems like all countries have moved to adopt?

A gram is such a small amount of weight that could easily be a variance from unit to unit. 10 grams is less than 4/10ths of an ounce. Personally I find 250 grams as the cut-off weight for drones a bit ridiculous. Not only is it just over 1/2 pound, but the structure of the drone itself, with thin collapsible arms and relative hollow body provides a shock absorption factor should it hit a human or structure. I could see more of a concern if it were 1/2 pound of lead striking a human at the same same speed... which could be minimal. And don't most jurisdictions prohibit flight over people? So why this arbitrary hard/fast weight stratification that seems like all countries have moved to adopt?
Who knows and does it matter in any way at all?

I would imagine that there is the Dance going on with DJI and the FAA and the World .

FAA has the right to make up numbers as they please and DJI has the right to come in under those numbers anyway they wish.

I do not think any of of the new regs have anything to do with safety as much as a definte focus on DJI to watch/ learn/ agitate in hopes that they just quit and give up there role as KING because other companies are not even a blip on the Radar.

I even think that the MINI 2 with a lighter weight is a jab back.
The bottom line is there is more going on with this than Safety ,

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain and Land on Water.

Reactions: ICHOTT and Thomas B
Just out of interest I know it says 249 grams but I put mine on some kitchen scales and I only got 230 grams with 2 lights attached is my scales broke or is the drone under 249 grams that’s stated
As you know, being the Mavic Mini it should be just under 250 grams with no add-ons. Just the battery and CD card. Do you have the battery in? If yes, your scales might be off.

Personally I find 250 grams as the cut-off weight for drones a bit ridiculous. [...] why this arbitrary hard/fast weight stratification that seems like all countries have moved to adopt?

The totally arbitrary 250 gram cut-off weight was first cooked up by the FAA's Unmanned Aircraft Systems Registration Task Force, as presented in this November 21, 2105 Final Report.

Read it and weep. ?

www.hsdl.org/?view&did=788722

The totally arbitrary 250 gram cut-off weight was first cooked up by the FAA's Unmanned Aircraft Systems Registration Task Force, as presented in this November 21, 2105 Final Report.

Read it and weep. ?

Thanks for the PDF. In some ways it shows the utter idocracy of this, that the world seems to have adopted. To take a snippet from the report:
"Referencing information from a 2012 MITRE report (which further references a United Kingdom Ministry of Defense 2010 study), an object with a kinetic energy level of 80 Joules (or approximately 59 foot-pounds) has a 30% probability of being lethal when striking a person in the head.1
Solving for mass and velocity, this equates to an object weighing 250 grams traveling at a terminal velocity of 25 meters/second or approximately 57 miles per hour."

So the concern, WITH NO DATA was a potential for lethality based on an impact with 80 Joules, assuming impact of 250 grams AT 57mph???? And with that concern they determined that at 251 grams your drone requires mere registration... which covers everything up to 55 POUNDS (25kg). And if your drone is 400 feet up, the maximum permissible altitude for most, will the speed actually achieve 57mph, considering wind (in addition to drage coefficient)?

I suppose we've avoided thousands of drone deaths by mere registration, no?

And so I was wondering... How many people in the US died by drone accidents in 2019? I tried googling it several different ways and there weren't any statistics beyond military drone strikes overseas! Can anyone cite a single death in your country in the last 5 years due to a drone impact (lighter than an Inspire)? I'm sure it's possible, but the numbers have to be ridiculously low.

Anyone here still driving 55mph on the highway?

Sar could probably provide the terminal velocity of various models as he's used it to calculate where a disconnected drone might have landed. I'm sure it wasn't 57mph.

I do drive the speed limit out of moral conviction, but much of the interstates and turnpikes around here are 60 to 70 MPH.

I suppose it’s like comparing the chances of a ball going into a crowd, eg golf v football (soccer) v tennis ball v ping pong ball and so on

the crowds will be different in density, distance from ball take off, ball size/weight differs, ball mass, velocity and so on.

not sure what I’m trying to say but ide rather someone made a decision, as they have, to control some random clown flying an object too low, too fast, out of vlos.

Other than find 249gms rule “ridiculous “ what would be the ideal weight v registration criteria etc etc be?

Read it and weep. ?

All I want to know is:
During the discussions of free fall velocity, drag coefficients, and probabilities of death occurring by being hit on the head by a falling drone, did the task force members from Amazon and Walmart fall asleep?

what would be the ideal weight v registration criteria etc etc be?
I would never have picked "weight" alone as a threshold criteria for registration. A light weight foamy delta-wing model aircraft is never going to be as dangerous as a similarly heavy metal lawn dart or even a golf ball.

Furthermore, as an engineer, it offends me that they regulated "weight" rather than "mass".

Here in Canada our regulations reference "takeoff weight" as the threshold for requiring registration or not. So hypothetically, I could construct a thousand pound radio-controlled Graf Zeppelin model out of aluminum girders and fill it full of hydrogen and, since its "takeoff weight" is lighter than air, I wouldn't need to register that model aircraft regardless of its total "mass"?

I suppose it’s like comparing the chances of a ball going into a crowd, eg golf v football (soccer) v tennis ball v ping pong ball and so on.
What it's actually trying to say is that if everybody registers their names and addresses with their government and then they're forced to label their unique registration number onto every one of their own golf balls, footballs, tennis balls, ping pong balls etc, that will somehow magically prevent any of those balls from ever again flying into a crowd.

I suppose we've avoided thousands of drone deaths by mere registration, no?
The report calculated that an object shaped like a brick, but with the drag coefficient of a baseball, when dropped in freefall from a height of 500ft, would carry a kinetic energy of 80 joules, which has a 30% probability of being lethal when striking a person in the head, only if that object has a mass of 250 grams or more. [It also means the same scenario has a 70% probability of NOT being lethal, no?]

They then decided "it is reasonable to estimate the probability of such a lethal event occurring" by further calculating the probability of such a "catastrophic event" occurring.

They assumed a mean time between failures of 100 hours[?], and assumed this 250 gram object shaped like a brick with a coefficient of drag of a baseball would be dropped from a height of 500 ft into a "relatively densely packed urban environment" of 10,000 people per square mile[!!].

The probability of killing someone therefor is:
"4.7x10-8, or less than 1 ground fatality for every 20,000,000 flight hours of an sUAS"

That's =0.000000047

The report further recognizes that the chances of anyone being killed by this hypothetical 250gram object are 1000 times less than the "current general aviation risk level of 5x10-5". [=0.00005]

Keep in mind this probability estimate is based on a 250 gram object. It's a safe bet that plenty of model aircraft and drones are flown weighing significantly more than 250 grams. One would therefor expect the probability of a fatality occurring as being proportionally greater, but apparently those have all been successfully eliminated by mandatory registration (as if).

I leave it up to you to look up total worldwide aviation fatalities, then divide that number by 1000...
www.icao.int/safety/iStars/Pages/Accident-Statistics.aspx

The report calculated that an object shaped like a brick, but with the drag coefficient of a baseball, when dropped in freefall from a height of 500ft, would carry a kinetic energy of 80 joules, which has a 30% probability of being lethal when striking a person in the head, only if that object has a mass of 250 grams or more. [It also means the same scenario has a 70% probability of NOT being lethal, no?]

They then decided "it is reasonable to estimate the probability of such a lethal event occurring" by further calculating the probability of such a "catastrophic event" occurring.

They assumed a mean time between failures of 100 hours[?], and assumed this 250 gram object shaped like a brick with a coefficient of drag of a baseball would be dropped from a height of 500 ft into a "relatively densely packed urban environment" of 10,000 people per square mile[!!].

The probability of killing someone therefor is:
"4.7x10-8, or less than 1 ground fatality for every 20,000,000 flight hours of an sUAS"

That's =0.000000047

The report further recognizes that the chances of anyone being killed by this hypothetical 250gram object are 1000 times less than the "current general aviation risk level of 5x10-5". [=0.00005]

Keep in mind this probability estimate is based on a 250 gram object. It's a safe bet that plenty of model aircraft and drones are flown weighing significantly more than 250 grams. One would therefor expect the probability of a fatality occurring as being proportionally greater, but apparently those have all been successfully eliminated by mandatory registration (as if).

I leave it up to you to look up total worldwide aviation fatalities, then divide that number by 1000...
www.icao.int/safety/iStars/Pages/Accident-Statistics.aspx
I get ya. Lots of numbers with virtually zero data. I'm going to sum up the FAA in relation to UAV's in three words:

READY. FIRE. AIM.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
neverbobomalem