DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini

London, and that is the exact scenario I’m in. MM got me hooked now I want to jumping up but wondered what they can do to the used ones as far as being able to Brick them remotely, which seems like very possible if they wanted.
Please be aware of the boundaries of CYXU airspace, and that of Vic and UH.

So, if someone buys a new mavicpro2 right now, shuts off phone’s WiFi and doesn’t update firmware, going forward the “man” has no way to remotely disable it or “know” whether it is being operated by a licensed pilot or not? meaning the only way the rogue owner would be caught is if they get called in by an observer?

Talking about in Canada only....
From your OP “I am a super responsible owner and follow all the rules...” so I think this should be a moot point (and would be incredibly irresponsible as firmware updates are often to improve safety/function). Plus it would fall directly in contravention of 901.29 and most likely of 900.06.

The Canadian version of the FAA is whom I’m talking about.
I believe they could easily do this unlicensed operators by simply leaning on DJI to include it in their firm wear.
If Sirius can shut off radios remotely who don‘t continue their subscriptions how hard could that be on drones that rely on satellite communication to fly?
As I said, you have an overactive imagination and you've invented a scenario which isn't going to happen.
As for the technical aspect, your drone does not rely on satellite communication to fly at all.
Your drone uses signals received from GPS sats for position information, but does not communicate with the GPS sats.
You can fly your drone and the satellites have no idea where you are flying or if you are flying.
The drone to controller signal has a very short range and can't be picked up by anyone outside that range.
No-one is going to remotely shut down your drone.
So, if someone buys a new mavicpro2 right now, shuts off phone’s WiFi and doesn’t update firmware, going forward the “man” has no way to remotely disable it or “know” whether it is being operated by a licensed pilot or not? meaning the only way the rogue owner would be caught is if they get called in by an observer?

Talking about in Canada only....
The "man" has no way to do any of that even without your imagined precautions.
Ease up on the paranoia.

Where on earth do you come up with this extremely inaccurate piece of information?!
Mini - fly responsibly ref: Canadian Aviation Regulations Sec. 900.006. $1,000 fine for infractions

Mavic Pro - above + (all are Canadian Aviation Regulations)abridged summary:
Aircraft must be registered. ref. Sec. 901.02. $1,000 fine
Aircraft must have registration number must be visible on aircraft. ref. Sec. 901.03. $1,000 fine
Must be in Visual Line Of Sight. ref. Sec 901.11. $1,000 fine
Not endanger any person. ref. Sec 901.16. $1,000 fine
Maximum altitude. ref Sec. 901.25 $1,000 fine
Minimum from any other person. ref. Sec. 901.26. $1,000
Not operate from a moving vehicle or vessel. ref. Sec. 901.37. $1,000
Keep a log of all flights. ref. Sec 901.48. $1,000
Keep the logs for between 12 & 24 months. ref. Sec 901.48. Another $1,000
Must hold a valid Pilot Certificate. ref. Sec 901.54 $1,000 & Sec. 901.56. Another $1,000,
Keep a record of Pilot Certificate. ref. Sec. 901.56 (2) $1,000
Easily accessible Pilot Certificate Sec. 901.57. $1,000
Operating without Pilot Certificate. ref. Sec. 901.63. $1,000
Operating without current, (24 months), Pilot Certificate. ref. Sec. 901.65. $1,000; Available. (2). $1,000

It could cost quite a lot to lift that Mavic Pro off the ground. I have left out the obvious distance from airports, emergency zones and alcohol consumption.

I imagine you will be turning in your claimed "Flight Reviewer" certificate and issuing some apologies for your three bleats that are either off topic or uninformed.

[

This is not correct - not all RPA flights take place at sea level...

OK, I'll grant that if you are climbing a mountain and fly your drone you could be over 10000 feet. But I still think that's sufficiently rare not to be one of the few questions on the basic exam.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kenshin