DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Night Issues

DownandLocked

Reactions
Flew my mavic for the first time at night tonight. I know about the issues of obstacle avoidance but I noticed this also:
  1. Hovered about 15 feet high and the mavic seemed to wander unlike it's rock steady hover during the day. Had to use controller to bring back to original position.
  2. Also, altitude wasn't stable. Seemed to rise and descend some unlike during the day.
Is this a normal night flying characteristic? Was unexpected.

Flew my mavic for the first time at night tonight. I know about the issues of obstacle avoidance but I noticed this also:
  1. Hovered about 15 feet high and the mavic seemed to wander unlike it's rock steady hover during the day. Had to use controller to bring back to original position.
  2. Also, altitude wasn't stable. Seemed to rise and descend some unlike during the day.
Is this a normal night flying characteristic? Was unexpected.

Closer to the ground, the Mavic uses its VPS (as well as acoustic sensors) to judge its height. At night (or over water), with limited visual cues, it can't rely on the visual component as much to assist in altitude and position determination, so the hover is not as "rock solid" as it would be under good lighting conditions.

Last edited:
Reactions: DownandLocked
Yes it is normal at night or in low light the vps shuts down or like me.. I turn them off at night then its just another gps quad it will wander in a circle and go up and down.. no worries..

Reactions: DownandLocked
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98