DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro 2 Drops out of sky at 157 ft

Status
Not open for further replies.

useitorloseit

Reactions
Just wanted to mention this In the forum in case it proves to be a problem. Side note I have over 800 flights in San Francisco where I live, been flying four years weekly.
my MP2 dropped 15 sec after take off at 157 ft. Flight log shows my stick input was simply, left stick up for altitude at 10 ft paused like I always do for 5 sec or so just in case anything is to happen. Then left stick up altitude I was watching drone at 156 ft I cleared shadows of buildings in distance and looked down at screen to adjust shutter speed and angle and screen was black?? I immediately have left stick up to gain altitude hoping I had simply lost signal but I could not see it anywhere in the sky??
At that time a gentleman started laying parts at my feet and I looked down and it was my smashed drone. He continued to bring pieces over I was so confused. He had told me it fell almost 5 ft in front of me.
anyway of course DJI will not do anything and I am not playing the game with them of sending my flight logs, blah blah blah for them to do nothing. It’s easier to purchase a new one. Not to mention I own a Mavic Air, Mavic Air2, Mavic Pro, Ronin, ronin RDC2
I will say this as I told customer service after a guy like me has purchased literally everything they sell virtually ANY other company except Apple would give me benefit of the doubt and at least offer me something.
I dealt with this issue one other time when the Mavic Air first was released the day I purchased it, my first flight the drone got home point I took off and it was a fly away?? My logs showed my input and the drone was doing completely opposite of my actions. It was a no brained well needless to say 4 months later after emailing my flight log to them 6-7 times they finally said they were unable to determine who’s error it was the drone or mine, at that time they offered me 40% off it is ridiculous.
anyway hope no one else experiences this I may wait until the MP3

Just wanted to mention this In the forum in case it proves to be a problem. Side note I have over 800 flights in San Francisco where I live, been flying four years weekly.
my MP2 dropped 15 sec after take off at 157 ft. Flight log shows my stick input was simply, left stick up for altitude at 10 ft paused like I always do for 5 sec or so just in case anything is to happen. Then left stick up altitude I was watching drone at 156 ft I cleared shadows of buildings in distance and looked down at screen to adjust shutter speed and angle and screen was black?? I immediately have left stick up to gain altitude hoping I had simply lost signal but I could not see it anywhere in the sky??
At that time a gentleman started laying parts at my feet and I looked down and it was my smashed drone. He continued to bring pieces over I was so confused. He had told me it fell almost 5 ft in front of me.
anyway of course DJI will not do anything and I am not playing the game with them of sending my flight logs, blah blah blah for them to do nothing. It’s easier to purchase a new one. Not to mention I own a Mavic Air, Mavic Air2, Mavic Pro, Ronin, ronin RDC2
I will say this as I told customer service after a guy like me has purchased literally everything they sell virtually ANY other company except Apple would give me benefit of the doubt and at least offer me something.
I dealt with this issue one other time when the Mavic Air first was released the day I purchased it, my first flight the drone got home point I took off and it was a fly away?? My logs showed my input and the drone was doing completely opposite of my actions. It was a no brained well needless to say 4 months later after emailing my flight log to them 6-7 times they finally said they were unable to determine who’s error it was the drone or mine, at that time they offered me 40% off it is ridiculous.
Sorry to hear. Maybe the battery pooped out?
And I too am waiting for the mythological MP3.

Download your logs to see what caused this if you want to
know what happened. From reading your thread I don’t know
if your just wanting to rant or what. Hate you had a issue but
many have.

What part of the city were you in? Somewhere that there could’ve been a lot of interference?
Interference doesn't cause drones to fall from the sky.
At worst it might swamp the control signal which would trigger RTH.

Interference doesn't cause drones to fall from the sky.
At worst it might swamp the control signal which would trigger RTH.
If the compass is also being disrupted it can cause it to hit a building when it’s attempting to fly home. ??‍♂️

If the compass is also being disrupted it can cause it to hit a building when it’s attempting to fly home. ??‍♂️
If the compass was being "disrupted" he would have noticed issues before the drone managed to climb to 157 ft.
And if it had hit a building, the wreckage wouldn't have landed at his feet.

And if it had hit a building, the wreckage wouldn't have landed at his feet.
I figured the part with him being told it landed in front of him was just badly written. I don’t think some random person would have to tell the pilot that his drone crashed 5 feet in front of himself. At least I’d hope not.

Also I don’t think it’s infeasible to encounter EMI that would disrupt his video suddenly could also screw with his compass.

Especially if he was flying somewhere downtown, and just cleared the rooftop of a building with a cell tower on it.

Besides getting an opinion here, you have better odds of warranty coverage in syncing your logs and having DJI take a look than no warranty coverage at all by not putting in a support request.

The logs from the app may be inconclusive if signal was lost before it captures a problem such as a power loss instantly causing signal loss, but the AC also has logs and would show a power loss during flight. Only DJI can read the AC logs.
A power loss is harder to substantiate when the AC is lost but fortunately you have it.

There is some gamble sending to DJI for evaluation since they do charge for a declined repair not covered under warranty. That was $65 last I looked which was a long time ago.

Perchance did the battery show any swelling after recovery, and if so, what's the manufacturer date? Swelling can go down once the battery cools.

Of course if the drone is more than a year old, then warranty has expired unless you have Refresh Plus.

It wasn't made clear if distances mentioned were altitude or horizontal distance. I read the 157ft to be altitude but other wording suggested OP also flew out an unspecified distance, but the 157ft could have been horizontal distance without final height specified.

I took the 5ft to be in front of the other guy but how did the other guy know who/where the pilot was? It seemed far fetched to me too that OP wouldn't know if the AC fell within 5ft of himself.

I figured the part with him being told it landed in front of him was just badly written. I don’t think some random person would have to tell the pilot that his drone crashed 5 feet in front of himself. At least I’d hope not.
Also I don’t think it’s infeasible to encounter EMI that would disrupt his video suddenly could also screw with his compass.
Especially if he was flying somewhere downtown, and just cleared the rooftop of a building with a cell tower on it.
It's not helpful to just make random guesses without knowing anything at all about the incident.
And the things you are guessing at make no dense.
Cell towers, interference, compass issues had nothing to do with it.

It's not helpful to just make random guesses without knowing anything at all about the incident.
And the things you are guessing at make no dense.
Cell towers, interference, compass issues had nothing to do with it.
I wasn’t guessing, I asked a question. I then proceeded to defend my reasoning for asking that question. From what I’ve read, those things can be causes of this.

I live in San Francisco, and it’d be nice to know of places to avoid that could have high levels of interference that aren’t readily apparent.

I wasn’t guessing, I asked a question. I then proceeded to defend my reasoning for asking that question. From what I’ve read, those things can be causes of this.
I live in San Francisco, and it’d be nice to know of places to avoid that could have high levels of interference that aren’t readily apparent.
Again ... interference will never cause a drone to fall from the sky.
You have been making guesses and that's not helpful in working out what actually happened.

• Haha
Reactions: Corsair415
Without anymore info from the OP let’s give this a rest.
speculation isn’t going to go anywhere in this thread.

Reactions: boblui and Meta4
Again ... interference will never cause a drone to fall from the sky.
You have been making guesses and that's not helpful in working out what actually happened.
Saying “it fell from the sky” it is an guess seeing as how no one saw it just mysteriously fall.

Seeing there’s no need in this continuing without the OP I’m
just going to Temp Close this till he contacts me then I will reopen this. I really think his op was just a rant.
Sorry Closed.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odofi