DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic pro 2 gimball issue

stelian hur

Reactions
Hi all,
I have an intermintent issue with the gimball, at start it shakes for a few seconds, a very unoticeable shake, like 0.5milimeter yaw and then it stops. then in flight it might shake badly once or twice like its stuck and does not stabilize for a few seconds or it might not. When this happens i can not control camera at all nor i can control it when it shakes at start. Sometimes i get the gimball overload error as well. Calibrated the imu/camera latest firmware etc. I suspect this gap on the left of the camera might be the culprit as it happened after a crash. Does anyone have any similar issues or any toughts?
Thanks
20210920-171649

How old is the drone? Does it have care refresh?
If out of warranty etc. are you up to removing the gimbal assembly (very easy, 6 screws and pop off a ribbon cable) and partially dismantling the left hand pivot (a bit fiddly but not very difficult) just to see if anything is broken?
To dismantle the pivot you prise the cover off (heat may help soften the glue) then remove 3 screws holding an inner cover/spigot, then remove that inner cover. This inner cover does not surround / trap the cable.
If you need to remove anything else in that pivot things get more complicated as the camera cable passes through everything else.
You could probably do the above with the gimbal in situ but I got hold of a loose knackered camera and gimbal so didn't have to worry about that.

Last edited by a moderator:
DJI says the larger gimbals are extremely sensitive to dust and debris. Did you happen to land on dirt or gravel or somewhere other than a pristine clean surface?

@PhiliusFoggg Thanks for the quick reply, it's out of warranty/care refresh. Saw some vids explaining how to dismantle as i was thinking that the flex ribbon cable might be broken but on the other hand i remember seeing somewhere that someone had a similar gap on the pivot at it caused him gimbal overload issues which he resolved by fixing the gap. I'm always up to a challenge so i will try to see whats in that pivot before attempting to replace that flex cable since its a pretty fiddly job to do.

@eEridani The was gravel where it landed and broke one of the arms in the process as well. Bought a new arm with motor assembly, soldered and works fine. Could some dirt might have gone in that gap and causing the bearing/motor to catch maybe?

If of use. look at them last to first, they uploaded in the wrong order

Attachments

• inner cover and spacer together.jpg
    inner cover and spacer together.jpg
    627.6 KB · Views: 18
  • spacer.jpg
    spacer.jpg
    241.9 KB · Views: 17
  • spacer screws.jpg
    spacer screws.jpg
    288.7 KB · Views: 18
  • inner cover removed.jpg
    inner cover removed.jpg
    443.3 KB · Views: 18
  • inner cover - spigot view 2.jpg
    inner cover - spigot view 2.jpg
    373.9 KB · Views: 19
  • inner cover - spigot view 1.jpg
    inner cover - spigot view 1.jpg
    269.1 KB · Views: 17
  • Under the cover.jpg
    Under the cover.jpg
    319.1 KB · Views: 18
If of use. look at them last to first, they uploaded in the wrong order
Thanks for the photos, done some more research and the job suddenly does not seem that hard, hoping for a loose connection, if not i'm thinking of replacing the signal cable but not sure if it has anything to do with stabilising or just the video transmission part, on the other hand the middle connector of the signal cable does plug in the flex ribbon that goes to the pitch motor. I'm also inclined to swap the whole yaw arm as i found one that comes with the signal cable and that ribbon but its a bit more expensive. I'll order the signal cable since it's cheap and it takes a wile to arrive.

Hi all,
I have an intermintent issue with the gimball, at start it shakes for a few seconds, a very unoticeable shake, like 0.5milimeter yaw and then it stops. then in flight it might shake badly once or twice like its stuck and does not stabilize for a few seconds or it might not. When this happens i can not control camera at all nor i can control it when it shakes at start. Sometimes i get the gimball overload error as well. Calibrated the imu/camera latest firmware etc. I suspect this gap on the left of the camera might be the culprit as it happened after a crash. Does anyone have any similar issues or any toughts?
Thanks
20210920-171649
Just a thought after the long standing members of the forum have offered disassembly instructions, but your first statement said your problem was “intermittent.” This points me to electrical v. mechanical proximate cause of your problem. Of course since you crashed your drone, there certainly are other problems that lurk. You should really send your drone to a reputable repair facility before any DYI attempts make matters worse. Best of luck in your repair efforts!

Hi all,
Thanks
20210920-171649
I’ve gotten dust and debree in my gimbal by landing on dirt. Try using pressurized air to clean it out.

Just a thought after the long standing members of the forum have offered disassembly instructions, but your first statement said your problem was “intermittent.” This points me to electrical v. mechanical proximate cause of your problem. Of course since you crashed your drone, there certainly are other problems that lurk. You should really send your drone to a reputable repair facility before any DYI attempts make matters worse. Best of luck in your repair efforts!
Well its intermittent at the moment but it starting to happen more often, i'm hoping that a connection might not be seated properly from the crash or that the signal cable might be pinched or partially broken. As i am a fan of DYI i will attempt to repair it myself, if that fails then i will send it in hopefully not in a worse state that it currently is :))

@Merrill277 What symptoms did you have when you got debris in the gimbal?

I got a gimbal that stuck and acted like it wanted to move and kept trying but couldn't. i.e. jerky and stuck. Then it would work again and then not. Blowing pressurized air in and around the gimbal seemed to work for me. Also, if you are doing 360 shots, hold the controller very still for best effects.

I got a gimbal that stuck and acted like it wanted to move and kept trying but couldn't. i.e. jerky and stuck. Then it would work again and then not. Blowing pressurized air in and around the gimbal seemed to work for me. Also, if you are doing 360 shots, hold the controller very still for best effects.
I'll do that first just to be sure.
Thanks

My M2 Pro also had a gimbal issue after dropping several feet. I tried a few of the venders advertising here and they all said they would replace the camera and gimbal and want to charge me around $750 to $800. Then I found one guy in Virginia that was suggested here. I sent it to him and he said it was fixed and I paid him about $140. When I go it it was not fixed, the gimbal still had a problem. I sent it back and he said it is now properly repaired. When I got it back there was still a problem, though different.

He said he would refund me the money and I asked for that when I sent it off to DJI. The guy never did refund me the money despite me texting a few times asking and reminding him of his offer. I would strongly suggest to never use him to do repairs.

In the end I sent it to DJI and in a week they sent a repair summary of $350 and I paid that and a week later I had a new (looking) drone back at my door. I would suggest you save your time and money and send directly to DJI. I feel you will save time and money in the end, the gimbal is the most finicky to get right.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato