DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro 2 Hyperlapse Shutter Speeds

drone83

Reactions
Hey,

I do alot of hyperlapses and timelapses and want to create some drone based hyperlapses. I typically have a shutter speed of .5 - 1 second for my ground based timelapses (on a tripod) as it gives nice motion blur.

Seeing as with a drone photo hyperlapse everything is moving what is the minimum shutter speed you would use. For example I'm thinking of shooting a busy city street from above at night with lots of moving trafic. I'd like nice blurry car lights but not blurry buildings.

Thanks

Depends on your desired length for the video and results sought.
To blur the autos traveling 45-50 mph or make the “streak” I find shutter set at every 5 seconds or more is needed. Remember that you’ll only get battery life divided by shot frequency time as total length of the video.
At 2 second intervals that gives about 350-400 total frames in the vid for a 20-25 second length on playback.

.25 or .3 second shutter every two seconds moving slowly seems to work well to keep things sharp. .5 or more for longer light trails but may give up some sharpness to blur.

If I remember this short clip was at .3

Reactions: Thomas B
.25 or .3 second shutter every two seconds moving slowly seems to work well to keep things sharp. .5 or more for longer light trails but may give up some sharpness to blur.

If I remember this short clip was at .3
Nice vid!

Depends on your desired length for the video and results sought.
To blur the autos traveling 45-50 mph or make the “streak” I find shutter set at every 5 seconds or more is needed. Remember that you’ll only get battery life divided by shot frequency time as total length of the video.
At 2 second intervals that gives about 350-400 total frames in the vid for a 20-25 second length on playback.
The original post is not asking for photo intervals, the question is about the shutter speed for each photo taken.

There is a huge difference between shutter speed and exposure interval. They are completely separate things. Exposure interval is the time between successive shutter firings. For hyperlapse, this should be somewhere between 1 exposure a second, and 1 exposure per minute, depending on thr effect desired. For maximum clarity, the shutter speed itself should be a minimum of 1/60 or smaller. I use at least 1/200 or faster, depending on the amount of light available.

Carried out some test myself recently - This is a shutter speed of 1 second, with the drone moving at 1 m/s. I think a SS longer than a second, or any quicker than 1 m/s and its going to be blur city.

This one was 1/4 SS, flying at 2 m/s. You can see the image is much crisper, but consequently, there arent any 'light trails' behind the car lights. You need greater than 1/2 for light trails in my experience.

There is a huge difference between shutter speed and exposure interval. They are completely separate things. Exposure interval is the time between successive shutter firings. For hyperlapse, this should be somewhere between 1 exposure a second, and 1 exposure per minute, depending on thr effect desired. For maximum clarity, the shutter speed itself should be a minimum of 1/60 or smaller. I use at least 1/200 or faster, depending on the amount of light available.

Too fast for night time as the OP asked about for night time.

Reactions: kjcbid54

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andrefu