DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro 2 warped footage

eldvisuals

Reactions
Good morning all. Just got the MAvic Pro 2 back from DJI and my photos seem to be warped when i import them. I see it on the live feed as well.. looks bubbledDJI_0763.jpeg

Looks like you have some barrel distortion. It's a thing that wide angle lenses are prone to. It's always there, but the straight lines in your image make it stick out more. This is a known issue with the Pro.

DJI corrects it to some degree in the firmware, but if you shoot D-log, then it's up to you to correct in post.

Here's some info: DJI Releases Presets to Correct Barrel Distortion on the Mavic 2 Pro

Looks like you have some barrel distortion. It's a thing that wide angle lenses are prone to. It's always there, but the straight lines in your image make it stick out more. This is a known issue with the Pro.

DJI corrects it to some degree in the firmware, but if you shoot D-log, then it's up to you to correct in post.

Here's some info: DJI Releases Presets to Correct Barrel Distortion on the Mavic 2 Pro

interesting hes tried everything. He didn't have the issue before sending the drone to dji and now once he got it back it happens..

the distortion you see is normal, due to the lens. I can't see how your drone did not do this before unless you only shot jpgs. jpgs will be corrected for a lot of this.

The raw files will show distortion, and depending on the raw converter you use, it may be worse or better. LR/ACR will pick up the embedded lens info and fix most of it.

However looking straight down will IMO always show the curvature issues of the distortion of the lens. Subjects towards the edge of the frame will be effected the most.

Paul C

the distortion you see is normal, due to the lens. I can't see how your drone did not do this before unless you only shot jpgs. jpgs will be corrected for a lot of this.

The raw files will show distortion, and depending on the raw converter you use, it may be worse or better. LR/ACR will pick up the embedded lens info and fix most of it.

However looking straight down will IMO always show the curvature issues of the distortion of the lens. Subjects towards the edge of the frame will be effected the most.

Paul C

we must of never noticed it before lol

This shot off DJI’s main shows the same effect.
Note the trees to the left and how they are bent back. Closer to the edge of the frame worse the effect.

Attachments

• FAC243FD-7AF6-4FB7-AF5D-507656CDE900.png
    FAC243FD-7AF6-4FB7-AF5D-507656CDE900.png
    5.2 MB · Views: 18
This shot off DJI’s main shows the same effect.
Note the trees to the left and how they are bent back. Closer to the edge of the frame worse the effect.

Hmm I will show my friend this.. in all honesty we never noticed it haha

The lens shows distortion, but as @Paul2660 pointed out, LR/ACR and other software is able to use the lens info provided in the DNG and correct most of it.
None of my imported image shows the degree of distortion you posted, be them straight forward or 90° facing down ...

Here's some information, and some utilities to help correct it. Or, you can record in 8-bit and the MP2 will mostly correct this by itself..

The Mavic 2 Pro can record video in 10-bit, but this mode suffers from significant barrel distortion on the edge of the frame. DJI acknowledged the issue and created presets and values to correct this problem in Premiere Pro, Final Cu, and DaVinci Resolve.

An automatic correction of the barrel distortion is applied natively when recording video in 8-bit, but the distortion is not corrected when filming in 10-bit (DLog-M and Hybrid Log Gamma or HLG). The Mavic 2 Zoom is not affected by the distortion because it cannot film in 10-bit.

You may have been flying in 8-bit previously, and now the quad is set to record in 10-bit, which could explain why you never noticed this before.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman